Alleged WM8650 Dead after?charging malfunction dead motherboard batter discharge???

Azutrum

Mar 26, 2013
I have read the post on here and it seems like others may have a problem like mine. But I don't know how to fix it in my case?

I bought a WM8650 from Ebay. Worked great for what I paid, came with android 4.0 surprisingly.
Resistive screen was annoying but functional.

Anyway, I put it away for a while. Went back to it and restarted to recharge it and saw the red depleted battery sign. Then it completely went dead. Then I tried different chargers and charging methods.
1) Original Charge
2) USB to AC charger that I had from an old PCI 4 port USB hub which fit in the Tablet
3) USB to USB from laptop to the adapter of the tablet
4) AC/USB to USb adapter of the tablet (Tablet heats up like crazy and I start to smell burning) (Problem started when I used this type of connection to charge and the tablet suddenly shut on me.)

No green or red light visible anymore....

I have opened up the tablet for fun to try to fix it. Here are the guts of the tablet, please advise if there is anything that can be done to check if the motherboard is alive, if this is simply a battery problem and so on...

I don't even know if this is a WM8650? The battery is soldered to the motherboard unlike the youtube videos where they have a proper connection...

Attachments

• $8F7ERK27d7fRA9eahE7T78L5.jpg
    $8F7ERK27d7fRA9eahE7T78L5.jpg
    837.4 KB · Views: 3,549

KD271158

Feb 3, 2012
Does it by chance have a 24 pin connector like an iPod? If so those types are quite famous for the voltage regulators being defective. Had more than a few roast on me ,one melted a hole right through the back when the bloody thing actually exploded inside!

cal67

Aug 4, 2011
If you have a multimeter, check the voltage where the battery terminals are soldered to the board. If the battery has a charge you should see voltage here. The next thing I would check is the charger to make sure it is functional. Then the connections for the charger socket to the board. I had one that my daughter dropped while the charger was connected and it broke one of the solder joints to the circuit board and wouldn't charge. I jury rigged it with a wire from the socket to the battery because the damage had peeled a trace off the board and I couldn't resolder it. Worked fine after that.