Alternative to app2sd >>>> link2sd

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I'm glad I took the time to figure out to use link2sd. But......

Is there a way you can check how much if the ext2 partition is in use or free? Not that I'm planning on filling up all 750 MB of it.

thx

In link2sd hit menu key and select storage info and it gives you internal app storage and both partitions on the sd. You can also do cool things like quick reboot and clean up the cache and 2nd partition.

I find the Quick Reboot very useful

Tom

goodoane

Nov 25, 2010
Check the Market for the new version and you would have a pleasant surprize. Now we can move app, dalvik-cache and data independently this is the best application ever.
Thank you sir.

Sent from my IDEOS S7 using Tapatalk

emmerick

Mar 14, 2011
Friends still have the same problem of not recognizing the second partition on the tablet COBY KYROS MID7015A the following message appears.

The second partition not found on your SD card
Make sure you have a two partitions on your SD card and both are primary
Except that I created two primary partitions both in FAT32. And now what I do.
Thanks

Some comands

$mount
rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
tmpfs /broadcasting tmpfs rw,size=512k 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock2 /system yaffs2 rw 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock5 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /cache yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/sys/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
/dev/block/ndda1 /nand vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,f mask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp4 37,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
$ ls -l /dev/block/vold
brw-rw---- root root 179, 2 2011-04-21 16:53 179:2
brw-rw---- root root 179, 1 2011-04-21 16:53 179:1
brw-rw---- root root 179, 0 2011-04-21 16:53 179:0

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Friends still have the same problem of not recognizing the second partition on the tablet COBY KYROS MID7015A the following message appears.

The second partition not found on your SD card
Make sure you have a two partitions on your SD card and both are primary
Except that I created two primary partitions both in FAT32. And now what I do.
Thanks

No experience with the Coby tablet but you might try the ext2 file system on the second partition, I've read the posts by the author and although he says Fat will work ext2 I think is a native Linux format. I use it on my S7 and all is well.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Since there still seems to be some interest in link2sd even with 2.2 and I can't remember where I posted this before here is the ultra simple way to configure for link2sd for Froyo

This requires no scripts, terminal or ADB!

1) Root your tablet with SuperOneClick
2) Download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition, which is free, and runs on your PC. Just follow this link:
Partition Wizard Home Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
3) Connect your S7 to your computer with the USB cable and mount your interal SD card. At this point I would just copy the entire contents of the internal SD card to your computer for safety's sake.
4) Create your partition on the internal SD with MiniTool Partition Wizard. If, like me, it wasn't obvious how to do this just look at the FAQ in the Partition Wizard Software, it will show you a video tutorial on how to 'Create' your new partition. Make it about 1 Gig, and make it Primary not logical. I did not name the partition. Then make the file system of your new 1 Gig partition ext2.
5) Unmount the drive and disconnect your S7 from your computer and reboot. All your data on the internal card should still be there intact, and you will see its size reduced by the amount of your new partition.
6) Install link2sd from the Market, run, and reboot again.
7) You can now start linking software and its associated Dalvic Cache to your SD. Install more software, link, etc.

Just a note, when your S7 prompts you to allow link2sd superuser access, allow it.

That should do it

Tom

emmerick

Mar 14, 2011
No experience with the Coby tablet but you might try the ext2 file system on the second partition, I've read the posts by the author and although he says Fat will work ext2 I think is a native Linux format. I use it on my S7 and all is well.

Good morning friend, Thanks for responding, I tried with all possibilities, with fat, with fat32, ext2 with all, and says he does not always work in found the second partition. It seems it must be something in the assembly of the partitions, the file system MID7015. Do not know if it worked more this Tablet would be perfect.

emmerick

Mar 14, 2011
Since there still seems to be some interest in link2sd even with 2.2 and I can't remember where I posted this before here is the ultra simple way to configure for link2sd for Froyo

2) Download and install MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition, which is free, and runs on your PC. Just follow this link:
Partition Wizard Home Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
3) Connect your S7 to your computer with the USB cable and mount your interal SD card. At this point I would just copy the entire contents of the internal SD card to your computer for safety's sake.
4) Create your partition on the internal SD with MiniTool Partition Wizard. If, like me, it wasn't obvious how to do this just look at the FAQ in the Partition Wizard Software, it will show you a video tutorial on how to 'Create' your new partition. Make it about 1 Gig, and make it Primary not logical. I did not name the partition. Then make the file system of your new 1 Gig partition ext2.
5) Unmount the drive and disconnect your S7 from your computer and reboot. All your data on the internal card should still be there intact, and you will see its size reduced by the amount of your new partition.
7) You can now start linking software and its associated Dalvic Cache to your SD. Install more software, link, etc.

Just a note, when your S7 prompts you to allow link2sd superuser access, allow it.

That should do it

Tom

Friend when I've tried everything and it's way rsrsrsr not match any work at all. I think it has something to do with the file structure of MID7015, you would have to mount the memory card in the hand with the terminal emulator, or maybe it's because the way the search to LINK2SD second partition is in another MID7015. I do not know what else to do, because I'm not Linux expert.

emmerick

Mar 14, 2011
As I had previously posted some commands that the program's creator had asked me. Ai reading another forum I saw that he had a friend who says er not achieved in our MID7015 Tablet, the tablet over him, but he put the solution. Comparing the codes I've seen him on the tablet also has NAND memory and he had to mount the partition EXT2 in hand, follows his code
THIS IS MY CODE
$mount
rootfs / rootfs ro 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
tmpfs /broadcasting tmpfs rw,size=512k 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock2 /system yaffs2 rw 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock5 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock4 /cache yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
/sys/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
/dev/block/ndda1 /nand vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1015,f mask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp4 37,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
$ ls -l /dev/block/vold
brw-rw---- root root 179, 2 2011-04-21 16:53 179:2
brw-rw---- root root 179, 1 2011-04-21 16:53 179:1
brw-rw---- root root 179, 0 2011-04-21 16:53 179:0

This is what he used and his code

I succeed mounting internal /nand as sdext2 and have link2sd works perfectly.
Links are created and data are in /sdext2 freing space on /data/app I use this commands on terminal with adb:

umount /nand
mount -o rw -t vfat /dev/block/ndda1 /data/sdext2

But after reboot the shortcuts still exist in /data/app but not link anymore to /sdext2 as /nand is not mounted anymore as /data/sdext2
So I tried to put these 2 line alone in /etc/install-recovery.sh I created:
umount /nand
mount -o rw -t vfat /dev/block/ndda1 /data/sdext2
But that didnt work out after reboot.
Do I have to modify the install-recovery.sh or init.rc?
What should I put in to have the same result after reboot than I have doing it manually?

Thank you very much, I think I am close to have internal /nand works as needed

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
A quick update on using link2sd with Froyo. Using link2sd 1.6, which now links library files, I find that my only limit to the amount of software I can load on my S7 is the size of the ext2 partition. All data seems to be stored on the card. I've installed nearly 500 megs of apps with virtually no loss of internal app storage. The symbolic link probably takes a minute amount of memory but it is insignificant. If you enable link2sd to automatically link apps as they are installed there is no problem with Froyo trying to move the app to the sd card. Sometimes you do have to go back and link the Library files manually I've noticed, but this is a minor quirck.

manxman

Aug 2, 2011

That should do it

Tom

Hello!

I am rooted on stock 2.2.2 Froyo Huawei s7-104 using superoneclick, have terminal emulator, have link2sd...

I followed the steps, and I have confirmed (Minitool partition wizard) that my internal sd card has 2g partitioned ext2 formatted memory. The internal memory on the device indicate 5.7g recognized. I have rebooted the Huawei a few times while the internal card was unmounted or mounted...

The problem I have is Lnk2sd still does not recognize my 2g (ext2) partition. Do you know if it is still necessary to run scripts in terminal emulator (similar?) to make Link2sd choose the correct sd card? If so, is there an exact script I can use. I have read many tutorials, but they all seem aimed at old version of Link2sd and older version of Android OS.

I have already run out of internal memory on my s7, even with 2.2 installing some apps to internal memory. It seems adobe flash 10.3 is really eating up my internal memory, and just a few other apps.

Thanks for any help!

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
There is no need for any scripts, make sure that both your partitions are primary though. I have heard that two gigs is the largest your partition should be, mine is just a gig or so, not sure if it matters but you could try making the ext2, your second partition, a bit smaller to make sure it doesn't exceed the limit. I realy haven't kept up with the development of link2sd as my S7 simply works for me now, and it isn't my primary focus as of late.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

mrkrad

Jul 21, 2011
all that work when the data2emm mounts the internal(or external) sd to /data after copying the data? seems redundant when you can run /data off the internal 8gb on the 104

manxman

Aug 2, 2011
Thanks for the thoughts... I reformatted the internal sd, confirmed the partition was gone, then repartitioned at 1.3gig. Restarted everything a few times, and Link2sd still asks to make sure the partition is primary... Oh Well...

There are some apps/programs that I can not move over to SD card, so it's pretty annoying to only have 16mb to work with for app memory. Maybe I just have to figure out how to delete some of the pre-installed apps that are protected.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for the thoughts... I reformatted the internal sd, confirmed the partition was gone, then repartitioned at 1.3gig. Restarted everything a few times, and Link2sd still asks to make sure the partition is primary... Oh Well...

There are some apps/programs that I can not move over to SD card, so it's pretty annoying to only have 16mb to work with for app memory. Maybe I just have to figure out how to delete some of the pre-installed apps that are protected.

Just another thought, when you created your 2nd partition did you set it as primary, so that both partitions are primary, it probably doesn't default this way.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum