Aluratek Cinepad AT107F 7 inch tablet android 4.0.3

liv2scoot

Aug 21, 2011
Finally received it yesterday. Attractive little unit - white plastic back with black edge around display. Seems built well enough.
Display is nice with no flaws or dead pixels.
Starts up fast and seems very stable.
I've played a variety of video clips and a full length movie on it with no hiccups. I do not have a mini hdmi cable handy to test tv performance.
I've been playing with it on and off all day and it still has 50% charge.
Onboard speaker and microphone are not very good. Headset with mic works well though.
Webcam is decent and should allow good video chat.
I cannot comment on wifi at this time but will at a later date. Access to local internet is complicated in my situation.
Aluratek is showing them online and promise support.
Tigerdirect.ca shows a one year warranty but aluratek shows 120 days. Not happy about that. Will be questioning them about it.
Tiger has already sold out. Probably the best deal on an android 4.0 tablet for Canadians bought from a Canadian store. Bestbuy and futureshop .ca has them for $149

Grrrrandpa

May 31, 2012
I agree with your assessment. I wanted a 7" tablet to use in place of my laptop, which I was tired of lugging on trips. My daughter has a 10" and that's fine in front of the TV at night, but a pain to take on trips - IMHO. I ordered my tablet on May 8th, and received it on May 11th, so I've had mine just shy of three weeks. I knew what I wanted about six months ago and was just waiting until my "inexpensive but fully capable" tablet was released. I read about the Aluratek and decided that was the one. In three weeks I have had no glitches.

It feels like a well-built device, and the display is very nice.

I knew that Google Play wasn't available, but have been able to find all the apps I needed between Amazon and Slideme. That would have been a severe limitation with my android phone, which is my everything device, but since my tablet is an accessory to the phone, it doesn't need all those apps that I rely on daily. I primarily use the tablet for web browsing (Opera), as a backup ebook reader (Aldiko) to my Kobo Touch, reading my daily fix of comics (Comic sho), cloud storage with both Skydrive Assistant (Windows Live) and Sugarsync (which I share between my cell phone, desktop, laptop and my new tablet), and for e-mail (both Hotmail and Gmail). Oh, I forgot, I also use Skype to talk to my grandkids. It works flawlessly for that as well.

I've had exactly zero problems with WiFi, at home and at various other locations locally.

Excuse me, I'll be right back ... I'm back. just ejected and reinstalled my micro-SD card. Someone at another site commented that they couldn't get their card back out once installed. Mine went in and out three times, just the way it should.

I get a little over three hours out of the battery, which is fine for my needs.

Grrrrandpa

Finally received it yesterday. Attractive little unit - white plastic back with black edge around display. Seems built well enough.
Display is nice with no flaws or dead pixels.
Starts up fast and seems very stable.
I've played a variety of video clips and a full length movie on it with no hiccups. I do not have a mini hdmi cable handy to test tv performance.
I've been playing with it on and off all day and it still has 50% charge.
Onboard speaker and microphone are not very good. Headset with mic works well though.
Webcam is decent and should allow good video chat.
I cannot comment on wifi at this time but will at a later date. Access to local internet is complicated in my situation.
Aluratek is showing them online and promise support.
Tigerdirect.ca shows a one year warranty but aluratek shows 120 days. Not happy about that. Will be questioning them about it.
Tiger has already sold out. Probably the best deal on an android 4.0 tablet for Canadians bought from a Canadian store. Bestbuy and futureshop .ca has them for $149

liv2scoot

Aug 21, 2011
Aluratek has released an update for the 7 inch cinepad which, now, includes Google Playstore. Look under the FAQ for the pfd document on how to do the update and where to find it. I have installed the update but am unable to test it till next weekend. This will be an awesome update if playstore works as promised. My OS version still shows as 4.0.3 but the update is over 200 mb.

http://helpdesk.aluratek.com/index.php?pid=knowledgebase#display_entry,true,"386"

Grrrrandpa

May 31, 2012
Aluratek has released an update for the 7 inch cinepad which, now, includes Google Playstore. Look under the FAQ for the pfd document on how to do the update and where to find it. I have installed the update but am unable to test it till next weekend. This will be an awesome update if playstore works as promised. My OS version still shows as 4.0.3 but the update is over 200 mb.

http://helpdesk.aluratek.com/index.php?pid=knowledgebase#display_entry,true,"386"

All I can say is WOW! Thanks for the heads up!

I saw that update a couple of weeks ago but didn't know what it was and decided not to install it. I had already uninstalled the Amazon store as it was sooooo intrusive and slowed the tablet down so much. I had loaded most of my apps from 1Market and GetJar, and I was comfortable enough.

Because of your note, I installed the update last night. It wipes all of the existing apps, which is a good thing. However, it doesn't get rid of any data you have stored on your tablet. It also installs several new apps, one of which is Google Play. I spent two hours installing my favorite apps and downloading supporting information for them.

Bottom Line: Everything works perfectly. There are a few tweaks to the user interface such as sound controls on the lower bar, and I'm sure I'll find more as time goes on. However, the slowness that I had experienced with Amazon Store are gone. Plus, I have full access to Google Play, which was the one thorn in my side with this tablet. Some of the apps that were only on my small-screen Samsung Galaxy S are now on my Aluratek as well. Life is good. Thanks again. :):):):):):)

Last edited:

liv2scoot

Aug 21, 2011
Thanks Grrrandpa. Good to know playstore is working! Makes these little tablets a real bargain for sure.

ponty

Nov 16, 2012
All I can say is WOW! Thanks for the heads up!

I saw that update a couple of weeks ago but didn't know what it was and decided not to install it. I had already uninstalled the Amazon store as it was sooooo intrusive and slowed the tablet down so much. I had loaded most of my apps from 1Market and GetJar, and I was comfortable enough.

Because of your note, I installed the update last night. It wipes all of the existing apps, which is a good thing. However, it doesn't get rid of any data you have stored on your tablet. It also installs several new apps, one of which is Google Play. I spent two hours installing my favorite apps and downloading supporting information for them.

Bottom Line: Everything works perfectly. There are a few tweaks to the user interface such as sound controls on the lower bar, and I'm sure I'll find more as time goes on. However, the slowness that I had experienced with Amazon Store are gone. Plus, I have full access to Google Play, which was the one thorn in my side with this tablet. Some of the apps that were only on my small-screen Samsung Galaxy S are now on my Aluratek as well. Life is good. Thanks again. :):):):):):)

Okay .. I'm not new at hacking Android devices, but I can't seem to do anything with this Aluratek Cinepad.
I tried the method here and can't even get the drivers to install. I tried on two Windows 7 machines and one Windows XP--each time the driver seemed to install okay, but when I plug in the device it comes up unrecognized. In Device Manager it shows up as "other device --> A710" My device is clearly labeled as AT107F on the back cover.

I also tried a method suggested here: Aluratek Cinepad AT107f - Sucks for Canucks? - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
But my device doesn't upgrade .. green android with red (!).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

rollerbabe

Nov 21, 2012
Grrrandpa, can you confirm that rotation still works on your tablet? I applied this update to 2 of these tablets, and now both of them lack rotation. Perhaps theres a setting I'm missing? Rotation definitely worked before applying the update....

Ponty, I had this issue as well on XP (the device not being recognized...a USB symbol would appear in the system tray when this happened.). The solution for me was to plug in the charger (not the usb cable, the actual wall wart) and when the battery symbol appears onscreen, hold the power button until the unit turns off. unplug the charger, start up the device and let it boot into Android. Then hold the power button again until you're prompted to shutdown, and wait for it to shutdown completely. Then simply follow the directions in the update pdf.

emmetation

Nov 23, 2012
I had the same rotation issue. Strange thing is it seems to rotate when certain apps need it to, but then the tablet remains in that orientation...very bizarre

But thanks liv2scoot for the update it improved the tablet 1000 times from what it was out of the box!

Hopefully we can solve the rotation issue. I will put in an official ticket to the Aluratek help, but so far that route seems slow.

Grrrandpa, can you confirm that rotation still works on your tablet? I applied this update to 2 of these tablets, and now both of them lack rotation. Perhaps theres a setting I'm missing? Rotation definitely worked before applying the update....

Ponty, I had this issue as well on XP (the device not being recognized...a USB symbol would appear in the system tray when this happened.). The solution for me was to plug in the charger (not the usb cable, the actual wall wart) and when the battery symbol appears onscreen, hold the power button until the unit turns off. unplug the charger, start up the device and let it boot into Android. Then hold the power button again until you're prompted to shutdown, and wait for it to shutdown completely. Then simply follow the directions in the update pdf.

FiOS_Dan

Oct 20, 2012
Very basic, I know, but have you already checked System Settings>Display>Auto-Rotate Screen?

rollerbabe

Nov 21, 2012
Thanks guysI guess I didn't really explain it well enough.Portrait games/apps work in portrait mode and landscape apps work in landscape mode.However the Android OS seems "stuck" in landscape mode.I've toggled the "Auto-Rotation" plenty and had no effect.I should have described it as: the unit doesn't detect TILT. Prior to updating both units to the latest firmware, auto-rotation worked. Jetcar Stunts worked. TempleRun controls worked. After the update (on both units!) none of that works. I opened a ticket with Aluratek 2 days ago but haven't heard back yet.Just to confirm though, other have applied that same update, and had no issues similar to mine? Thanks!

Eggplanto

Apr 28, 2011
I just bought the Aluratek Cinepad last week from Buy.com hoping that I could get Google Play running. I followed the instructions but when I try to run the LiveSuitePack_version_1.07_2011026.exe, I just get a small window that pops up and quickly vanishes. Once I saw an error that read:
CopyDriverFile failed! 183
c:\temp\AT107F_update\AT107F update\usbdrv64.cat
c:\temp\AT107F_update\AT107F update\UsbDriver\usbdrvx64.cat

I'm on Windows 7 64bit and I've tried running the exe as both a user and as Administrator but can't get the program to run. Has anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks

Eggplanto

Apr 28, 2011
I finally got past that driver problem posted above but now I am stuck on the below upgrade steps:

8. Go back to your AT107F (currently OFF). Press and hold the volume up button (between the power and volume down) then connect it to your computer.
9. When the blue light turns on, press the power button 5 times. (while holding the volume up button)

I follow step 8- hold down the volume up button and connect the tablet to my computer but I never get the blue light. Are you supposed to continuously hold down the power up button while and after connecting the tablet? I've done it multiple ways with no luck. A few seconds after plugging the tablet into my computer I see the "charging battery" graphic come up on the screen. I've tried performing step 9 anyway but anytime I press the power button, the "charging battery" graphic comes back on the screen. I never do get the prompt on my PC to perform the format. Is there a trick to get these steps to work?

sailorjohn

Dec 23, 2012
we had same issue with upgrade, everything looked fantastic until we ran Temple Run, and tilt sensor no longer worked!! except for that it was a great upgrade, but if you can't use Temple Run, why have a tablet! Let us know what they come back with from Aluratek.

rollerbabe

Nov 21, 2012
1) you need to make sure you're using a decent mini usb cable for this. I used a cheap one and it didn't work; then i used the higher quality one from my usb hard disk and it worked fine.
2) i found the blue light didn't *always* come on when i plugged it in. Just go ahead and tap the power button 5 or 6 times anyway right after plugging the usb cable in.