Amazing but also disappointed

mattmesa

Feb 26, 2011
One word to describe my Xoom: AMAZING... but there are a few things I am rather disappointed about. Thankfully, my disappointments are things that can be fixed.

1) Can't text as far as I can tell. I was foolishly hoping that I would be able to send/receive texts from the same # as my Verizon droid x, I knew that was a long shot but I was at least hoping to have built in text functionality -- verizon has told me this will never be the case. I have read that you can use google voice, i'll have to check that out I guess.

2) Total lack of apps for the tablet. I assumed all android apps would be accessible but you just might deal with display issues - not the case at all. Hopefully more apps will become available soon or someone can enlighten me on how I am dumb and just missing something obvious.

3) The bluetooth keyboard for the Xoom sucks. Plain and simple, this is an easy fix though. Spend more money and buy a new one.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
you can buy a Case with keyboard from 20.00 to 30.00 dollars, I did keyboard work great, see it at ***************, just do not buy any electronic from them, there ****!

pharoah

Sep 5, 2010
One word to describe my Xoom: AMAZING... but there are a few things I am rather disappointed about. Thankfully, my disappointments are things that can be fixed.

2) Total lack of apps for the tablet. I assumed all android apps would be accessible but you just might deal with display issues - not the case at all. Hopefully more apps will become available soon or someone can enlighten me on how I am dumb and just missing something obvious.

ok i really dont understand this part.

Last edited by a moderator:

gquiring

Mar 4, 2011
On that YouTube video he didn't actually try and install them. If he had he would see that many won't even let you install and the ones that do many don't work. Some also don't zoom out, they are stuck at 1x resolution which looks really small on the tablet. My buddy is returning his, he was disappointed that the apps he wanted from the Android Market don't work on the Xoom. I was surprised to see that Google Voice's app also does not work. I really want a Xoom but it looks like Google needs to fix a lot of bugs.

Xatt

Mar 9, 2011
They have added a bunch of new apps optimized for tablets (but still only about three dozen) and a lot of the regular ones work fine. Developers only go the sdk a couple of weeks ago so it's going to take some time.

One tip -- load Spare Parts and uncheck Compatibility mode, then reboot. Some apps -- not all -- that were formatted for a mobile phone will now fill the screen.

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
Thanks for making me feel better about my $299 Huawei S7....

keepnitreel

Feb 20, 2011
Thanks for making me feel better about my $299 Huawei S7....

Your good feeling is only temporary. The Xoom has the hardware under the hood and is 4g upgradeable, which means it won't be dated no time soon. The software & app part is a easy fix, the hard part is waiting.
Can't say the same for the Huawei S7.

Sent from my D1! But would rather send from a Xoom using Tapatalk!!!

rudydh

Dec 20, 2010
Under the hood, sweet... Agreed... Price sucks... No text or talk... Not for me.. As of now not one tab wants to offer a unlocked talk, text tab for under $300... That is all i am saying... Oh and even at $800 still no talk, text and full market....

pharoah

Sep 5, 2010
On that YouTube video he didn't actually try and install them. If he had he would see that many won't even let you install and the ones that do many don't work. Some also don't zoom out, they are stuck at 1x resolution which looks really small on the tablet. My buddy is returning his, he was disappointed that the apps he wanted from the Android Market don't work on the Xoom. I was surprised to see that Google Voice's app also does not work. I really want a Xoom but it looks like Google needs to fix a lot of bugs.

i made that video,and i have a entire homescreen filled with icons to apps that do work.most of which are phone apps.all ya need do is experiment a little.