Amazon Could Ship 1.2. Million Tablets Next Quarter

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 16, 2011
amazontabs.png

Amazon will lead the charge for iPad-competitor tablets this quarter with plans to build between 1 million and 1.2 million units, the Taiwanese news site Digitimes reports.

The figure is a conservative estimate by Digitimes’ sources within the device manufacturing supply chain, but it’s still a surprising number as it puts Amazon ahead of tablet shipments from Samsung, Acer and Asus. Amazon has a major advantage over competing tablets since it’s an e-retailer giant.

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos hinted strongly that the company has tablets in the works, and rumors from the mobile site Boy Genius Report pointed to plans for two powerful tablets. I have an inkling that Amazon is aiming to do more than release yet another bland Android tablet. Most likely, the company is gearing up to compete with Barnes & Noble’s $250 Nook Color, which has been successful due to its tablet-like features and low price.

Overall shipments of non-iPad tablets will increase to around 7 million units in the third quarter, compared with around 3 to 3.5 million units from the previous quarter, an industry source tells Digitimes. Apple plans to ship between 14 and 15 million iPads this quarter, compared to around 11 million from the last. Overall tablet shipments are expected to be between 21 and 22 million units, compared to around 14 million from the last quarter, the industry source said.

Source: Digitimes and BGR

MarkWF1

Jun 5, 2011
Another company that will come out with a locked tablet that you will have to root. I wont buy it if that's the case..

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
Is there any tablet you don't have to root to completely unlock? I don't mind rooting. Maybe I'm lucky, or just intelligent, but I've never bricked a device. I absolutely love my NookColor...when my wife lets me use it. I can't wait for what Amazon comes out with. I've got money put aside for it already.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I agree, no troubles rooting, and lets face it root access for mainstream tablet users would be silly. One little deleted file and you are bricked, could you imagine the tech support nightmare?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum