Amazon Kindle Fire Posts Strong Black Friday Numbers

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
Amazon-Kindle-Fire-registers-strong-Black-Friday-sales-8-week-on-top-of-Amazons-charts.jpg

Apparently, the Kindle Fire really is lighting up a fire underneath consumer's to open their wallets. Although Amazon didn't post specific numbers, they shared that the new Amazon Android tablet did phenomenally well on Black Friday. Here's a quote from their representative, Dave Limp, VP of Amazon, "Even before the busy holiday shopping weekend, we'd already sold millions of the new Kindle family and Kindle Fire was the bestselling product across all of Amazon.com. Black Friday was the best ever for the Kindle family - customers purchased 4X as many Kindle devices as they did last Black Friday - and last year was a great year."

Interestingly, Mr. Limp also noted that many customers bought multiple Kindle Fire's, probably for themselves and as for holiday gifts. In fact, the Kindle Fire has stayed on top of Amazon's best selling chart for 8 weeks in a row. That's pretty impressive for their first tablet.

Source: Kindle-Fireforum via PhoneArena

Smithjordan

Dec 20, 2011
If you've looked into purchasing some sort of ebook reader until recently there were not too many viable options available. Then this website suit for you read. Ok just read at : amazon kindle

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I have noticed Amazon keeps saying the sales of the Kindle and Kindle family rather than hanging their hat on the Fire. Yes they do say it has been a top seller but I am guessing that a lot of strength in their numbers hidden in the other Kindle sales. I also wonder how many Fire returns they are leaving out due to dissatisfied users? I know they are selling lots of Fires and that's good tablet news but I just have a suspicion there is more to this than meets the eye. That is Amazon's way though and they have been doing the same thing since the original Kindle release.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
It could be a marketing strategy to keep saying -we will sell millions of kindles...we are selling millions of kindles..we already sold millions if kindles- Human being are like sheeps, they follow the other sheeps so if they see that a lot of people are buying the kindle fire, they'll buy it too. That after trying it they will return it and buy a nook tablet instead, that's another movie!:)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Tablet Forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I did hear an independant analysis of Kindle Fire sales, and this was about 10 days to 2 weeks ago and they estimated they had sold 2 million units, BUT they didn't say if this was to end users or to retailers as well. They did say Amazon has over sold their initial estimates and have ordered an increase in production.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Oh yeah, with the recent update killing the Nook Tablets ability to side load apps it could help Kindle Fire sales to those looking for inexpensive tablets.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
No doubt it is marketing speak to make things look as good as possible.

Oh yeah, with the recent update killing the Nook Tablets ability to side load apps it could help Kindle Fire sales to those looking for inexpensive tablets.

I don't think the Nook is much of an issue to the Kindle in general but certainly the Nook was better with its first generation of software and is better with its current generation of hardware than the Fire. Amazon usually doesn't mess things up too badly but they really rushed this one out the door and the software shows it. Frankly I think they have have been doing a better job with their App Store than Google has but for an out of the box reader/tablet the Fire stinks and needs a software update to straighten things out pretty badly.

I'm sure it will get better but it was a pretty poor product release for a company like Amazon. Sort of like Apple, Google and Microsoft all shipping early versions OSes without the ability to copy and paste. It can be made up for after the fact but doesn't make people very happen in the mean time.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
AlthoughI don't think the people (represented heavily in this forum I would think) that buy these devices to modify and use mainly as tablets will have a huge effect on either companies bottom line, and in fact I think we are the exact people they would rather not have purchasing their nearly profitless hardware since we probably are less likely to follow through and purchase the content they hope to make their money on. That said, the success of these devices rely heavily on sheer numbers to prove they can compete with Apple and I would imagine Amazon will take any sales they can get from anyone right now to prop up their numbers. Regardless of profitability numbers alone will be the determining factor used by observers to guage the success or failure.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
This is almost funny, recieved a Kindle Fire as a Christmas Gift from my Mother, and oddly enough it is a very cool device. I think Amazon is going to do just fine with this, and Apple may have some competition in a way they never expected. Can you beat Apple at their own game? Maybe not, but Amazon may have just changed the rules and in doing so changed the game itself.