Amazon Kindle Sales Estimates Halved; Still Expected to become No.1 Android Tablet

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
amazon-kindle-tablet-with-android.jpg

According to a report on BGR, investor analysts have new sales projections for the Amazon Kindle Android Tablet for this year. Originally, many analysts expected Amazon to sell between 4-5 Million Amazon Kindle Android Tablets this year alone. Barclays analyst Anthony DiClemente has since offered a revised and more realistic number of about 2 million. After all, since the tablet is likely coming out in October or November, it will only have a few months to sell in 2011.

Despite these revised estimates and the short time-frame, the device will be selling during the busy holiday shopping season. Furthermore, these analysts and others expect the tablet to quickly become the number one selling Android tablet. Part of this is due to the mass of holiday shoppers that are already familiar with the Amazon Kindle eReader, the other reason is because of the $250 dollar price point for the tablet. While this is still a significant dollar amount for the current strapped economy, it is still a 50% reduction compared to the Apple iPad. Here's a quote from the BGR article with a few more details from the investor analyst,
DiClemente thinks adoption of Amazon’s affordable tablet will remain solid next year, with 6.4 million devices expects to sell in 2012; and as sales climb into the high single-digit millions, Amazon’s tablet could become the top-selling Android tablet in the segment’s short history. The analyst also believes Amazon’s 10-inch offering will become a reality next year, and Amazon will sell 1.5 million units on top of sales of its 7-inch slate.
Could Amazon actually be the manufacturer to turn Android Tablets into the iPad killer?

Please check out our dedicated sister-site for all your Amazon Android Tablets news! You can find it @Amazon-Tablets.com!

Source: Amazon-Tablets.com via BGR

fbales

May 5, 2010
I have mixed feelings about Amazon's Android tablet. I don't think spurning Google is a good idea where consumers are concerned. I was disappointed to hear that nothing "Google" would be on this tablet. Frankly, I rely on Google products/services. Sure, you'll probably be able to add Google apps, but still, I'd be happier if they were coming out with a Honeycomb or Ice Cream Sandwich device. I believe that's where the true competition for Apple is, well, that, and Windows 8.

Frank

miked

Jul 31, 2011
How can anyone seriously call this a potential ipad killer?? Yes, the price seems fine, but... I saw somewhere that it will not even have a camera. LOL.
I rather spend a $100 more and have a lot more features in another Anrdroid tablet. - Just my 2 cents..

fbales

May 5, 2010
I agree, but where we (tech inclined individuals) might make a mistake is assuming most people care. Most people aren't tech savvy, or inclined, or whatever . . . so this might look pretty good to most people, especially Kindle owners.

Frank

miked

Jul 31, 2011
You are absolutely right and you make a good point. I am sue they will sell well. I just can't see that this tablet (7") will be an Ipad killer. I will be still happy with my Asus Transformer too. I also think that a lot of people would want a camera on their tablet. Not for picture taking, but for video chat.