Amazon Still King of eReaders

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
pbrauer-albums-misc-pics-picture1466-amazon-logo-thumb.png

While not having nearly the hardware of the Nook, Amazon still leads the way in eReaders due to being available as an app for iPads, Smartphones and Tablets. That being said, maybe they need to dump the Kindle Hardware completely and focus instead purely on providing content .

According to recent research from Changewave, The numbers breakdown like this:
  • Kindle: 47% of the e-reader market
  • Apple's iPad: 32% of the market
  • Sony's Reader: 5%
  • B&N Nook: 4%.

Now the main question is, how does that 47% Market Share breakdown in terms of devices? And the Nook, with only 4% of the market as an eReader, does that only count in terms of Nooks running only the Nook Software? What is that number when you add in the rooted nooks that are running Kindle?

(sources - cnn.com, changewave)

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
People know of Amazon... not that many know of B&N. This fact is mainly for the worldwide community.

regnaD kciN

Jan 22, 2011
While not having nearly the hardware of the Nook, Amazon still leads the way in eReaders due to being available as an app for iPads, Smartphones and Tablets.

Nook also has an app for those platforms.

The fact is, neither the Kindle nor Nook apps are all that good -- no doubt because Amazon and B&N want you laying out the cash for their hardware as well as their e-books. Neither, for example, allows you to create "collections" (Kindle) or "shelves" (Nook) for organizing a large collection into categories to make finding the right book quicker and easier, although both sellers offer such a feature on their own hardware. For my mind, Aldiko, although far from perfect, is still superior to either of the two book-selling giants' Android apps.

totouch

Jan 11, 2011
while i am on the look out for an android tab, i did purchase a kindle 3g wifi as i originally wanted an e-reader (which led me to looking at android tablets)... i have to say it rocks!! i'll definitely be getting a tablet when after i see how this new gen with android 3 is, but for reading and checking email, news, weather... basic internet stuff... the kindle has been fantastic... approx. just over 3 weeks on a single charge with the odd use of wifi or 3g here and there while on the go.. reads great in the daylight and with some light very well at night.. the buttons were a little counter-intuitive at first, but now that i've adjusted i absolutely love the layout... imho better than touch screen page turning (single handed left or right hand operation)... free 3g is a huge plus :cool:

if you like to read books (i say books specifically because of the b/w screen) i'd say get one of these for reading w/ perks!.... get the tab for... tab stuffs ;)

... still on the hunt for a tab...

regnaD kciN

Jan 22, 2011
I might like the Kindle -- my wife certainly gets a lot of use out of hers -- but I'm a photographer and would be reading a lot of photography "how-to" books, where color is a must. The CEO of Amazon has already said that a color Kindle is "years away," meaning that the choice for me is between a Nook and a tablet. The Coby Kyros I settled on cost around the same as an equivalent Kindle (and a lot less than a Nook Color), and is a decent Android tablet to boot.

dorothydot

Mar 7, 2011
while i am on the look out for an android tab, i did purchase a kindle 3g wifi as i originally wanted an e-reader (which led me to looking at android tablets)... i have to say it rocks!! i'll definitely be getting a tablet when after i see how this new gen with android 3 is, but for reading and checking email, news, weather... basic internet stuff... the kindle has been fantastic... approx. just over 3 weeks on a single charge with the odd use of wifi or 3g here and there while on the go.. reads great in the daylight and with some light very well at night.. the buttons were a little counter-intuitive at first, but now that i've adjusted i absolutely love the layout... imho better than touch screen page turning (single handed left or right hand operation)... free 3g is a huge plus :cool:

if you like to read books (i say books specifically because of the b/w screen) i'd say get one of these for reading w/ perks!.... get the tab for... tab stuffs ;)

... still on the hunt for a tab...

I absolutely agree with you! I soo love my Kindle! It is really wonderful - I'm loving all the free ebooks, and if there is an unsupported format, you can easily download Calibre, which converts it to .mobi.

It finally allows me to read hands-free, so I can knit and read at the same time.
Dot

stargiss

Mar 6, 2011
My wife had her mind set on the Nook with E-Ink display...I tried to talk her into getting the Kindle but she insisted the Nook was a better purchase. Finally found one (they were sold out everywhere in the world it seemed) and had to get the 3G one because it was the only one available anywhere. Now I see why she was so insistent on getting the Nook. I personally would never consider getting a reader but I'm a little jealous of hers. That thing is wonderful! I absolutely love the E-Ink display and the design is great. Now that she has it I'm glad she stood her ground because I now look at the Kindle with all the buttons on the front and I think the thing just looks ugly and cheap in comparison. And I'm amazed by the E-Ink display on the Nook! I'm not greatly tech savvy so I don't really know how they do it but it looks just like real pages and ink and it's so much easier on the eyes than a LCD screen which is on the color model. All in all I think she made the perfect buy for her.

Of course a tablet is much more my style. I'm really happy with my Kyros now that I finally managed to get it Rooted and Clockwork mod installed and working. It's fine for no more reading than what I will likely do...but that's all for another thread.

Moral of this post....get what makes you happy! I seriously recommend looking into the Nook E-ink model though. If you can find one and don't need 3G (which is free BTW) connection, you can't beat it for $150 IMO! I just can't describe how much better the display on it is...at least IMO. I was just really impressed with the whole thing. If you're thinking about Kindle you really should give this one a little consideration...it's just a few more dollars and doesn't have the cheap look and feel (IMO) of the Kindle.

kris7047th

Mar 9, 2011
My kids gave me a Kindle 3G for Christmas. I love it's simplicity, ease on the eyes and convenience to carry anywhere. The battery lasts forever!