AMLogic Tablets, 7033, 7035, 7065, 7060, and So On: Repair Tablet from SD Card

Slider2732

Sep 21, 2013
Just a quick question...
Can the 7033 be flashed and reflashed without completely bricking it ?
I've not done much else since the 16th, with hoping that someone may chime in who has got a bit further than I have. But if the NAND's on a 7033 are not Coby nuclear device fitted, then it would enable throwing a few ideas at it that may or may not work, rather than sit around doing nothing.

:)

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The tablet is suppose to boot from sdcard, as the clones of coby 7033 do.
I work on the road so I don't get much time to work on it, for flash tool to work the tablet has to be in download mode, I can't see the pics on my phone if it says 7033 or coby the tablet isn't in download mode.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Just a quick question...
Can the 7033 be flashed and reflashed without completely bricking it ?
I've not done much else since the 16th, with hoping that someone may chime in who has got a bit further than I have. But if the NAND's on a 7033 are not Coby nuclear device fitted, then it would enable throwing a few ideas at it that may or may not work, rather than sit around doing nothing.

:)

I have formatted nand many times and installed different roms, nand isn't the problem.
If people put my boot.img and recovery.img on their tablets they can fix their tablets.
Problem is getting a broken tablet that hasn't installed my stuff working.

Slider2732

Sep 21, 2013
Thanks for all the info :)
Good to know about the formatting.

--------------------
Update:
Have tried a few things (using Xubuntu 13.10)
I downloaded the .rar file above, then changed the folder to a zip.
Renamed it to update.zip and tried it in the 7033. It behaved differently..in that instead of saying the signatures weren't right etc, the 7033 paused for about 10 seconds and then flashed up a big Android logo for a few seconds, with a crystal thing coming out of its middle (lol, you'll know what I mean vampirefo). But then back to the usual options of the Recovery section.

Then I thought 'well it wont boot if the SDcard isnt bootable'.
Downloaded and used Brasero, to make a .iso file from the .rar unzipped file.
Put that on the SDcard using UNetbootin.
Tried again and it didn't boot.
So, tried going into Recovery and selecting to update from the card again. Surprisingly, the original files were still on it, so I ran update.zip again and this time the 7033 flashed the screen on and off a few times over about 30 seconds, then rebooted itself.
Now, it's just sat on the Coby logo.

No idea what it's done if anything, but it IS doing something differently, instead of completely refusing to play ball with whatever goes onto the SDcard.

Last edited:

Slider2732

Sep 21, 2013
I wonder if this is useful ?
I tried the fake_7036_recovery.zip just to try it and it began to verify the package !
The 'loading' type bar moved across as though looking seriously at it, before doing the usual abort.
Am going to have a look at whatever differences there may be to whatever has been downloaded for the 7033. Stuff that no doubt is already a road well travelled, but not by me and it's interesting :)

$100_0018.JPG

alexzamp

Dec 22, 2013
Hi, I am exactly on the same boat as Slider2732 and I am following the wonderful job vampirefo is doing. My tablet is an Akai MID7033, so a Coby clone and is stuck at the AKAI logo, I tried all the same things Slider2732 did and, of course, no result. Hope to see soon a solution. Thank you vampirefo for your efforts.

Last edited:

Tano

Dec 5, 2013
Hi all,

I'm having a problem here. I was messing around (trying to get gapps installed, still), and things went horribly wrong.

Basically, I'm getting a bootloop. Luckily I made a Nandroid backup before any of this happened, and so in theory it's fixable. However, my nandroid backup is giving a 'MD5 mismatch' error when I try to restore it. I've googled, and apparently this is a not-uncommon problem that can be solved with some ADB commands. So, here is the crux of my question:

From Vampirefo's recovery, how can I send my tablet adb commands? I tried mounting USB from the mount menu, but I get a 'unable to open ums lunfile (no such file or directory)' error. Is there another way to do it?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hi, I am exactly on the same boat as Slider2732 and I am following the wonderful job vampirefo is doing. My tablet is an Akai MID7033, so a Coby clone and is stuck at the AKAI logo, I tried all the same things Slider2732 did and, of course, no result. Hope to see soon a solution. Thank you vampirefo for your efforts.

I never heard of that tablet, during bootloop have you tried to adb shell?
Do the manufacturers have any firmware for your tablet?

alexzamp

Dec 22, 2013
I never heard of that tablet, during bootloop have you tried to adb shell?
Do the manufacturers have any firmware for your tablet?

Already tried with adb shell, no luck. USB debugging is disabled, of course, and there is no firmware on the manufacturer's web site. I googled it and I checked inside, it's a Coby MID7033-4g clone, in fact its model number is exactly MID7033-4g.

Last edited:

Slider2732

Sep 21, 2013
So, perhaps AKAI rebranded a formerly generic build from the streets of China, or they have a deal somewhere with the former Coby.
Either which way, it bodes better for us perhaps to have this info ?
AKAI might be more forthcoming than Coby to requests for firmware...particularly now that Coby can't help and tablets are not a main interest of AKAI historically :)

I took a look for the model and found the 7008 and 7042 of theirs if I remember correctly.
Main point, was that I noticed you're from Italy Alex and links in searches seem to point heavily to Italian websites. Well, sat here in Oklahoma, the glorious free to roam internet really isn't...i've been running into website blockings for Italian websites !!!
It's perhaps also why the AKAI tablet range has gone somewhat under the radar for us in the USA, we can't view to find out !
They don't have a USA website linked from akai.com, which is kinda weird. Found myself viewing their Egyptian website to try and find the tablets.

Another thing, that was quite comical, was that AKAI have the wildest of product range nowadays. I'm used to them for car radios and home hi-fi. Their catalog has the familiar TV's and such, but also shows toasters and blenders :)

Have you tried emailing them for the firmware ?
Am guessing so, but had to ask.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Already tried with adb shell, no luck. USB debugging is disabled, of course, and there is no firmware on the manufacturer's web site. I googled it and I checked inside, it's a Coby MID7033-4g clone, in fact its model number is exactly MID7033-4g.

OK, thought it was worth a shot, I don't think the stock recoveries can install anything, same goes for other ubifs vc882 tablets, as I have tried all upgrades I could find none allow updating through recovery, all use tools, So I am thinking if they could upgrade through recovery they would as the tools are complex, upgrading through recovery isn't

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
The tablet is suppose to boot from sdcard, as the clones of coby 7033 do.
I work on the road so I don't get much time to work on it, for flash tool to work the tablet has to be in download mode, I can't see the pics on my phone if it says 7033 or coby the tablet isn't in download mode.

Is it possible a bootloader formatted sdcard would allow booting on the 7033 ? Just a WAG.

alexzamp

Dec 22, 2013
OK, thought it was worth a shot, I don't think the stock recoveries can install anything, same goes for other ubifs vc882 tablets, as I have tried all upgrades I could find none allow updating through recovery, all use tools, So I am thinking if they could upgrade through recovery they would as the tools are complex, upgrading through recovery isn't

I agree, it should be like this. I'm not so deeply into android, but there should be a way to get past the stock recovery or to make it accept a different upgrade.

@slider2732
I tried several times with Akai, but no reply at all. It seems they inherited also the bad manners along with the Colby's devices. It is quite unusual that you're not able to reach some italian websites. It is also true that many companies have business agreement preventing them to advertise or sell oversea. Despite the globalisation corporates believe only in a very narrow world to keep us on a very short leash.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I agree, it should be like this. I'm not so deeply into android, but there should be a way to get past the stock recovery

That is done via adb, Coby disabled adb to stop that. On a working tablet one replaces the boot.img and recovery.img then they always have adb so the problem is fixed.
I am not a windows guy, but have talked to a few window devs they believe it's a driver problem that can't be fixed cause coby didn't release their drivers to allow these tools to communicate with the tablet.