AMLogic Tablets, 7033, 7035, 7065, 7060, and So On: Repair Tablet from SD Card

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Also, I might be able to "Jerry-Rig" the 8065 with a mouse and keyboard, but it's completely in pieces at the moment. The digitizer for these is a HOTATOUCH C156209A2-GG (8 inch/8wire) with a Goodix (on-board) chip. MAN, finding a replacement is like finding a "needle in a haystack"! Been hoping to find one for parts with a good digitizer, but nothing yet. I will pull a dump, as soon as humanly possible though, and will let you know. I want to try the "boot from external SD card" too. After I get a working Linux box and can have access to DEV environment, I think it will make ALL of this a WHOLE LOT easier! I haven't forgotten about you guys! Bear with me!(warm smilz)

LOL, everyone is rebuilding systems. m swithching from ubuntu 32 to ubuntu 64 and having one heckofa time. I noticed the processor chip on the 8065 digitizer cable, never saw that before. 8065's are scarce on ebay :-(

No rush, but when you get you system and the 8065 going, please backup your boot and recovery files before you try this boot from ext-sd. I may have corrupted mine.

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Wednesday I will order my new 2TB hard drive should come in next week. Then I can copy my stuff over, and get back to this. My old hard drive I have had since 2006. So I got my use out of it, lol.

Sorry about the old one, but its great to get a huge drive ! Still running an old 160gb here. Someday...

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
"When you get you system and the 8065 going, please backup your boot and recovery files before you try this boot from ext-sd."

You got it!(smilz)

---------------------------------------------------------------

"Still running an old 160gb here. Someday..."

Standard DELL Dimension 80GB here, but I did add an 80GB secondary/slave to that. Still, it's NEVER enough!LOL
I need to clean out all the junk files I've accumulated/continue to accumulate. Funny, I download so much crap, (things I THINK I might need/use later on) and end up wasting so much space. Half of it is definitely junk. Then I have a handful of USB thumb drives, and three of the microSDs. They're all pretty full too.(sighs)
Just need to MAKE time, and clean out EVERYTHING!LOL
I guess I'm a "digital hoarder" of sorts then.LOL

Anyway, you all have a good night!

Todd

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
That is all its suppose to do.

It is not clear to me that the tablet boots from the ext-sd bootloader. Tested the tab with 7065 recovery, so it boots from ext-sd. But that doesn't require the specially formatted card. I'm not sure how to test that it is actually booting the ext-sd bootloader.

Can I use the "fake recovery" safely on the 8065 ? If not, what would I need to make it work- either for testing or otherwise.

I know I don't have all the parts to run from ext-sd, but I'd like to check my steps.

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Fake recovery is safe to use, on any model. There isn't any test for sdcard at this time.
That will be on future tests when I try to run JB from sdcard.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Tablet

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Hey, I haven't forgotten about you guys on this!(warm smilz) I want to try to pull my recovery.fstab from the 7033 dump!(warm smilz)

Below is your recovery.fstab from the 7033

Code:
# partition		mount_point		fs_type			device

sdcard			/sdcard			vfat			/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
system			/system			ubifs			/dev/ubi0_0
userdata		/data			ubifs			/dev/ubi1_0
cache			/cache			ubifs			/dev/ubi2_0
misc			/misc			raw				misc
kernel			/boot			mtd				boot
recovery		/recovery		mtd				recovery

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Here is a modified recovery.img for you to try if you want, I don't have this device to test it.

7033_recovery.img

I will explain what I did, I unpacked your recovery and added a recovery from another device that uses different signing keys, I have done the same to my 7065, this way the recoveries can install the zips I make. So if this works for you, then you can then flash the fake recovery which is a CWM recovery without a kernel it using what ever kernel is already installed on the tablet.

So basically
in your init.rc

I changed

service recovery /sbin/recoverynand

to

service recovery /sbin/recovery

then in your sbin I added recovery

No guarantees that it will work for you, If I had the 7033 tablet, I would test myself but I don't have it.

ideally you can boot from this recovery via sdcard, if no perhaps via fastboot, if not there either then you would need to flash the recovery.

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Okay, I'm on it!(warm smilz) Media Fire's back up... downloading right now! Hey, your taking ALL the work out of it for me here!LOL How come?(smilz) Feels as if you're watching me, and can see how exhausted I am or somethin'.LOLLL

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
One last question before I place the microSD in and try booting it up, I've placed all these on the card:

- recovery.img (the one you kindly created/hosted on MediaFire)
- boot.img
- bootloader.img
- system.tgz
---------------
Also:

- 7033_recovery.img.zip
- Coby_7065_fake_recovery.zip

(I probably placed too many items on, but more importantly, am I missing anything crucial?)

My Q: is do I rename " bootloader.img " to " u-boot.bin "? or, Do I need to copy the " bootloader.img " (TWICE) and rename one of the two instances/copies of " bootloader.img ", renaming one of the (2) img files to the " u-boot.bin " binary file? And then stick that puppy in and fire her up, right?(smilz)

So, like...

(A)
- boot.img
- bootloader.img
- system.tgz

or ...

(B)
- u-boot.bin
- boot.img
- bootloader.img
- system.tgz

--------------- I'm not thinking exactly straight today, but "(B)" seems likely?? ?

Almost forgot. I have another 7033 (sitting here) that IS stuck in a "fruitloop". Shall I try to revive that first with this method, or?? ? It would make for an excellent test. Trouble is, these 7033s tend to drop the "debug" connection with EVERY reboot.

LOL knodded off there for a minute! Sorry!

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Just remembered, "To run from sdcard requires kernel source, then have to build ext4 modules."

Still working on getting a Linux environment on the laptop.(that's in pieces too)
Almost everything I got around here seems to be in pieces. LOL Well, I'm just thankful to have them, though they are a little busted up.(some)

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
At this point you don't need to run from sdcard just boot from sdcard. all you need right now on sdcard is recovery and fake recovery, for 7065, recovery needs to be renamed to uImage_recovery.

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Okay, I'm at the Stock recovery. That's a good place to start, now we'll try to unzip... the "fake".(smilz)

Darn!

Wiped data/factory reset, apply update from external storage...

--Install /sdcard ...
Finding update package...
Opening...
Verifying...

E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

(sighs) Well, now I feel like...(sighs) I know you been bustin' your hump on this one!(sighs)

One dumb Q:... do I need to rename the fake to " update.zip ", as per the usual?

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Damn, NOPE, that wasn't it. I guess I need to sign it somehow.(sighs)

Signature verification keeps failing on that too. Tried twice after wipe/factory reset.
We're close though. Once we get this "fake" to install, then I can try to run the dump install scripts. I won't forget to clear the directories and mount the directories, if I can just get the fake up and running.

Looks like maybe... fastboot, if not, maybe I can flash your recovery. Personally, I've never used tried fastbooting.(sighs) MAN am I torched/burned out! This has been a long day for YOU too! I know.
I'll step outside, get some of that fresh/wet Orgegon air. Maybe that will jar my melon enough to figure things out here.LOL Hey man, I DO really appreciate ALL you've done to get me this far down the road. I just want you to know that. Thanks again.

... "I'll be back."...

Last edited: