AMLogic Tablets, 7033, 7035, 7065, 7060, and So On: Repair Tablet from SD Card

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
did you try factory reset to see if the data error comes?

Reset from tablet recovery is clean. boot to system reports no errors.
Reset thru ext-sd (stock or cwm) recovery causes sdcard errors. and boot to system reports bad update errors.

Check your recovery thread.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Well finally got my new hard drive setup, and files transfered, I lost some files due to hard drive failure, the files simply couldn't copy over all well. My stock recovery for 7065 runs adb that's why fake recovery runs adb, I forgot I added adb support to my stock recovery, which I made several months ago, getting old, LOL forgetting stuff.

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
No doubt there are, but do you KNOW they work? will they run from a floppy? One recovery job could pay for it. Been a fan of steve a long time.

He definitely has his critics. bout 10 years ago theregister.co.uk and others went after him cause he was one of the first to identify malware. They called him a crank.

he has a weekly security show called "security now" with leo laporte. They talk about everthing from eric snowden to router flaws. great show if one cares about such things.

side note off a tangent. A lot of the drive stuff they talked about at your link are optically positioned drives. Am I old? In the early 70's I worked for a company making 40mb removable drives the size of a washing machine.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
No doubt there are, but do you KNOW they work? will they run from a floppy? One recovery job could pay for it. Been a fan of steve a long time.

He definitely has his critics. bout 10 years ago theregister.co.uk and others went after him cause he was one of the first to identify malware. They called him a crank.

he has a weekly security show called "security now" with leo laporte. They talk about everthing from eric snowden to router flaws. great show if one cares about such things.

side note off a tangent. A lot of the drive stuff they talked about at your link are optically positioned drives. Am I old? In the early 70's I worked for a company making 40mb removable drives the size of a washing machine.

I know the man, I have no problem with him, have talked to him several times, I pay no attention to what the users say about Steve, I was just pointing out similar apps, one I am trying testdisk right now to see how well it works.

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Going over your thread posts. You guys have been VERY busy!(smilz) Thanks for the 7033 recovery,(still haven't tried it on the "good" unit yet) thanks for the link to "8065 rooting method/Vampire's method too", (haven't even had a chance to look at those yet either.(sighs) Finally (sort of) got a working Ubuntu 12.05 LTS up and running on the Inspiron1100. The Intel onboard graphics chip's sort of a speed bump.(have to boot the recovery kernel each and every time I start up, otherwise I land on a nice grey screen) It's a shabby setup, but I'm just very thankful to have anything. Glad to hear the new hard drive install/swap out went well. Sorry to hear some data was lost in the process. I agree, "FREE" is good!LOL
I should have a new/used digitizer by Tuesday/Wednesday, so as soon as humanly possible, I'll try to root this pile of pieces/mid8065. (After I re-assemble it.) Once I get her put back, charged, rooted, then I'll attempt to get a dump and have you guys assess whether it's good or not.(if/when you have any free time, and feel like) Thanks!(warm smilz) I guess I sort of left the 7033 on the sideline. Well, rather everything on the sideline. Just wanted to get some Linux going on the old laptop. I loaded ADB (bundle with Eclipse) unpacked and installed, but haven't even tested it yet. What can I do? How can I help? What's next for me? 7033 or 8065?(Well, after I have the new digitizer that is.) Anyway, I need to help out here if I can. So I'm lost as usual. Let me know if there's something/anything in particular you'd like me to do/try/address/test out. Thanks again, and SORRY I was MIA/AWOL!!!
Hope your day's a good one!

Todd

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Wish I had that "SpinRite" (or similar) myself, the times I've had a hard drive crap out on me too.(smilz) I have read/found some articles/comments stating the needs for EXPENSIVE equipment, in extreme cases, where the head is stuck/damaged/unresponsive, and you need to take the disks out in order to retrieve everything. I KNOW, I hear it ALL the time! "BACKUPS"! Ya ya yaaaaa.(sighs) Better yet, why can't they design HDDs to have internal mirror/slave discs, so they can copy the data to a partition/separate disc portion of the drive? Redundancy built right in. So if the master portion of the drive fails, the good side is still intact. Give them time, someone will eventually put one out. Drive failures aren't THAT common for normal everyday users. Still, they do occur. Nice to have a physical/non-physical snapshot (at least) that's still there for "EASY" retrieval, should the cookie crumble.

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
vampirefo. wrote -

"It wont flash through stock recovery, that's why I had to modify your recovery. It will flash through the modified recovery."

---------------------------- ------- ------- ---------------------------

Okay, I been at this a while now, and I guess I must not know what the hell I'm doing.(smilz) How do I get the modified recovery you built for me onto the tablet? (7033) Right now, I've been trying to get it on the "good/working" unit, but unsuccessful so far.(sighs) I'm lost. Vampirefo, can you please point out, what am I doing/not doing wrong? Your files are on the ext_sdcard. I unzipped them there, rebooted, and it just boots normally. Do I push these over through ADB or copy from micro ext_sdcard onto the tablet? And if so, where exactly would I be a puttin' 'em?(smilz) Or do I just have the microcard in, and from tablet "Off", turn the tablet on (vol - + Power) into recovery? Thanks for putting up with the ViMicro7033 (and mentally) challenged fool/noob who is ME!LOL

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Will this...

adb push recovery.img /data/local/tmp/recovery.img
adb push install-recovery.sh /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
adb push reboot-recovery /system/bin/reboot-recovery

adb shell

chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
chmod 755 /system/bin/reboot-recovery

/data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
/system/bin/reboot-recovery

...work?? ? Thanks kind sir!(warm smilz)

Hope the day is treating you fine.

(And of course, place the 7033 recovery .img you built into the /ADB/Data. Good enough?)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That unit that's hanging at the COBY logo, it's detected/undetected by PdaNet. ADB shows it as "connected:eek:ffline", but when I hard key-boot into it's stock recovery, ADB is showing "connected:unavailable". What tool would you recommend trying to flash that one with? I can't find anything besides LiveSuite, Pheonix, and the Vortex Flasher for the DPads. Tried using the ext_sd method, but I didn't have the card laid out correctly. I like the VERY first post in this thread you made. The method for the AMLogic on that tutorial. Anyway, first things first. Sorry for bein' a pain in the ass!(smilz)

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Will this...

adb push install-recovery.sh /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
adb push reboot-recovery /system/bin/reboot-recovery

adb shell

chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
chmod 755 /system/bin/reboot-recovery

/data/local/tmp/install-recovery.sh
/system/bin/reboot-recovery

...work?? ? Thanks kind sir!(warm smilz)

Hope the day is treating you fine.

(And of course, place the 7033 recovery .img you built into the /ADB/Data. Good enough?)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That unit that's hanging at the COBY logo, it's detected/undetected by PdaNet. ADB shows it as "connected:eek:ffline", but when I hard key-boot into it's stock recovery, ADB is showing "connected:unavailable". What tool would you recommend trying to flash that one with? I can't find anything besides LiveSuite, Pheonix, and the Vortex Flasher for the DPads. Tried using the ext_sd method, but I didn't have the card laid out correctly. I like the VERY first post in this thread you made. The method for the AMLogic on that tutorial. Anyway, first things first. Sorry for bein' a pain in the ass!(smilz)

For the broken one most likely will need Vortex Flasher, for the good one either dd or cat the recovery.img.

if you want to use install-recovery.sh make sure you use correct location, as this script as is, is written for allwinner tablets.

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
For the broken one most likely will need Vortex Flasher, for the good one either dd or cat the recovery.img.

if you want to use install-recovery.sh make sure you use correct location, as this script as is, is written for allwinner tablets.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay!(warm smilz) I'll try to track down the Vortex Flasher. I think it's hosted somewhere. Hopefully I'll get lucky and find an English version. Ahhh, (thinking) I think I understand what you mean by "written for allwinner tablets". It's laid out differently? Goes back to the fstab.recovery you taught me about earlier. Each device has it's own mapping. Or I'm wrong yet again.Think I'll concentrate towards that broken one. Get up the nerve to attempt the other one. If I was closer, I'd just drop it off to you, and let you get familiar with this little beast. Then you could easily build a good CWM for it. My luck, I may end up foobarring things up, and wind up with (2) two bricks instead of the one.(smilz)
Well, hope the new HDD is working well for ya!
Have a great night, and I'll let you know any progress I make. I know you've already laid out MOST of the ground work for me already, and I do appreciate that. Thank you KIND sir!(warm smilz)

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The allwinner uses different partitions so it's lay out is different. your recovery partition is /dev/mtd/mtd3

to flash recovery.img

download

flash_image

Code:
adb push flash_image /data/local/tmp/flash_image

adb shell
su

chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/flash_image
/data/local/tmp/flash_image recovery /data/local/tmp/recovery.img

reboot recovery

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
@vampirefo Thats a cool trick with "flash_image" progarm. Is that for 703x only?

@mcclain_ts you found a digitizer, thats good news. Let us know how that goes.

Just had a few moments to do a bit of testing on the 8065. Just for fun and curiosity.

$screenshot_antutu.png

And this:

$8065_cpuz.png

Thats more sensors than any coby I've seen.

Last edited: