AMLogic Tablets, 7033, 7035, 7065, 7060, and So On: Repair Tablet from SD Card

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Flash_image will work on most tablets that use mtd partitions.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Phone.

Sucessfully installed 7065_root.zip via fake recovery. Noticed it also installs busybox...

successfully backed up boot, recovery and bootloader using:

cat /dev/mtd/mtd4 > /sdcard/dump/boot.img

Maybe it was the busybox I was using, but now the boot.img matches bludot's boot.img

Now that we have the kernel tools you provided, I will continue to compare 8065 boot.img to the 7065 with the goal of producing an unsecure boot.img for adb remount.

Any specific areas where I can be of help at this point?

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Hey guys, sorry I'm late to the party!(smilz)

Well, the digitizer's not too nice with all those paw prints on it from reassembly, but it is working again!(sigh of relief) Thanks for the inquiry and congrats.
I've tried multiple times to connect via ADB just to see if I get ' devices ' but it always shows nothing connected. And then there's the drivers issues for the proper support/connectivity and that whole Windows Media Player 11 thing.(known issue with these from what I read in some posts over at XDA) I'm attempting it on XP SP3, but no luck. Must be time to try out the Ubuntu on the DELL laptop see if it will fair ant better. Thanks!(warm smilz)

Vampire, thanks for the help with the 7033 brick. It's still a pretty brick right now as I haven't had a chance to get to it. It's a nice little paperweight that just says , ' COBY '. (smilz) I had a hunch it was beyond LiveSuit. In fact I had attempted earlier to use it to flash a rom from a similar hardware Chinese tablet, but even LiveSuit threw up a "No go!" I downloaded "ICS Vortex FlashTool", "vortex_UNPACK", and "M8Flash-v3.0-ToolsOnly", and tried them a few times, but that was a no go either. I can get it into a FEL/firmware upgrade mode, but without the proper utility to open up that "clam" of a ViMicro chip, etc., I think it might be easiest to just find a cheap used-but-working board, and swap her out. Then build a working CWM off what we got eventually? Lord I don't know. If I had an ADB connection there, it would help too. ADB says it's connected but "unavailable"? First time I ever saw that. I've seen "Offline". The PackTool that comes with the tools bundle calls for: "DFU", "UBoot", "Boot.img", "Recovery.img", "System.img", Userdata.img", "Cache.img", and "UDiskData.img". Pretty damn complicated and don't have all the necessary items they call for to pack up a working flashable IMG for the forced flash. The one you built for me, now that's from ADB, right? If I had it. I'm sorry you been working OVERTIME to help me on that!
Ya, even when she's in stock recovery, that's the same situation with ADB.
I know you been trying your best to help/guide me, I DO appreciate that!(warm smilz) Thank you.
I know the bricked one is beyond what we got going here anyway. We still have the good working unit. And if I can get the 8065 recognized and talking with the Linux, we can attempt to pull the dump off of that.
tpaine and you finally got (I think his name is) bludot back up and running with his bricked 8065? That's GREAT to hear too!(smilz)
Some see it as COBY really hurt a lot of customers by not supplying all the firmwares for their tablets, etc. On the other hand, it does give folks who get a kick out of repairing and un-bricking the things, plenty of new and different challenges.(and opportunities)
Thanks again! Now, I'll get busy and try to see if "Linny" wants to talk to "Andie/Andy".(smilz)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm just thinking, that 7033 could be a hardware issue, couldn't it? I really don't know who had it, or what they did to it. It was another ebay find with a cracked digitizer too. From the image I saw, I figured I could just get a new one, and do a factory reset. Well, that didn't go so well. Anyway, I did see a couple of 7033 boards/parts at ebay. But the price is kind of steep at $25 to $36. Can't even remember if that was with/without shipping. I don't know why, but I really like these little tablets!LOL
Anyway... Sorry I'm rambling on!(smilz) I'll let you guys know what comes of/if any.(smilz)
Have a great day!

Todd

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
If you have enough memory on a system, you can boot ubuntu from cd, install the SDK tools only and run from cd. (vamp tip)

Don't give up on the 7033. A brick is exactly what we want to recover. I noticed the prices on all the broken Coby's. It's probably cause they heard of vampirefo's new recovery methods. ;-)

One thing you could do to avoid ADB on the 8065 for now. Root it using vamps 7065_root.zip from fake recovery. Then you could use adbWireless to make a system dump. No ADB required (just a short term solution).

Edit add:

ADB is still used to make and copy system backup files. Just no drivers are required with wireless adb-

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
If you have enough memory on a system, you can boot ubuntu from cd, install the SDK tools only and run from cd. (vamp tip)

Don't give up on the 7033. A brick is exactly what we want to recover. I noticed the prices on all the broken Coby's. It's probably cause they heard of vampirefo's new recovery methods. ;-)

One thing you could do to avoid ADB on the 8065 for now. Root it using vamps 7065_root.zip from fake recovery. Then you could use adbWireless to make a system dump. No ADB required (just a short term solution).

Edit add:

ADB is still used to make and copy system backup files. Just no drivers are required with wireless adb-

tpaine, THANKS for the suggestion/s!(warm smilz) I was thinking of running from a LiveCD, but thought, "Come on Todd... now just do it right." "Do a full install, 'cause you know you can."("you did it before")(warm smilz) Besides, once you start using it, (smilz) it becomes addictive!LOL

Even managed to get ADB running nicely without having to call the directory tree each time I want to use it.(smilz) Found a nice way to get her going by just opening the terminal anywhere, and typing "adb". I have a bad habit of forgetting where/which directory I place things.(smilz) This saves me a lot of time and aggravation. LOL

And finally, what WindowsXP didn't want to do,... (image) (image 2) (image 3) - Images showing Ubuntu 12.05 playing

nice with a Coby MID8065. Something Windows wouldn't do easily/nicely.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll take your advice, not to give up on the 7033/s. They're actually a really great little tablet! Just, a little odd. It's actually funny, they are "odd" numbered too!LOL As in 7033 and 7035.(smilz) Besides, I CAN'T let ALL Vampire's time/work/attempts/kindness be forgotten. You're absolutely right. "We CAN'T quit now!!!(smilz) I just need to be patient, and keep trying. I will see if ADB under Linux fairs any better in communicating with both the brick and the working later. Thanks for reminding me not to throw in the towel. Besides, it's not like I'm wealthy, and I don't ever play the Lotto, so...(smilz) "Save that tablet!" I agree with you on Vampire's work. It's pure genius. I wish I had half his talent/intellect for making these tablets reach their full potential. You and Traveller are pretty knowledgeable with these things too, as well as with Windows and Linux. One day I hope to achieve similar. What's REALLY nice is to be able to help others. That's truly the ultimate reward for me, if I'm able.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I do have ADB up and working, should I still root the 8065 using Vampire's 7065_root.zip from fake recovery? ADB wireless? I never would have thought to try that!(I wasn't even aware it could be done that way. Surprisingly nice to know.)
I'd just like to do it the best way a guy like me(still learning/still a new guy) is less likely to mess things up. Just SO glad it's not somebody else's tablets I'm learning with here. I'm pretty good with WindowsXP/Vista and back, and so-so with PuppyLinux, but even though Android is technically Linux, I'm still more what what I would consider just slightly more knowledgeable than an average user. My neighbor, his wife, and son,... my parents, my sister in Montana,... oh, and my aunt and uncle --- well, a handful of people, when they find out I can salvage(at least reformat) their Windows/Mac systems, they are ringing me up, etc. Nice to be able to help out, and share what little I do know. Kind of like your neighbor and the "9742/battery" thing.(warm smilz)
Anyway, even though I'm not afraid to get myself deep into things, I always worry anyway, that I might "foobar" things up.LOL
Well, just wanted to say thanks again!(smilz)
Okay, let's ROOT this thing!LOL (scratching my head and thinking) "Now what do I do?" "I read some posts regarding "bludot's" journey so far. Thank goodness he was able to get it back up and going again, and with root to boot!(smilz)
Sorry, I KNOW, I type too much. Being pretty much agoraphobic, I guess I don't have many opportunities to converse.
Okay.(smilz) >>> To root the 8065...
Have a great day!

Todd in rainy Oregon

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
The kernel source code I use to build modules for my 7065 are below, won't help you on 7033 but will work on 8065 provided we get a boot.img we can edit from 8065.

https://github.com/fards/ainol_elfii_common

The elf ii uses the same cpu so this makes sense. It is interesting that 2 generations were so similar (elf and elfii). Found any good roms from the elf yet ?

When I compared the recovery.fstab of the 8065 and the 7065, they look the same. Is this correct ? Still working with boot and recovery here. Lots to learn.

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
I'm still interested in getting the 7033 to boot from microSD, but I just know I'll "foobar" things up.LOL Hey, morning there guys! Ya so, I was thinking, I don't know if Vampire would be up to it or not, but I was thinking I nearly have enough scraped together here to send him a tablet. I'll just send the good one. That way,(hopefully) we can get things done right for the 7033s. Hopefully including fixing a softbricked unit. I'm pretty sure the one(bricked) I have here is just a soft brick, as I am able to get into the stock recovery. I'd like to create one of these uboot cards, but I don't think I have enough room on either of my PCs to accommodate the necessary kernel sources. I could have sworn he mentioned the sources wouldn't do me any good, anyway.(smilz) Well, it would be a one-way trip to Huntington, but I would need a shipping address. I know there's NO guarantee, that if I send it, we'll be able to unbrick the one here, but I'm willing to take that risk.(if you'd be kind enough) It would be great if you could still make a recovery for the 7033, after you have this good one, and possibly share it with me. I have one last 7033 here,(again in pieces) that is good.(minus needing a new digitizer) I'm looking! On the hunt.LOL I find one cheap enough, I'll get her back together, and (again, hopefully) add a "Vampirefo." creation to yet another "oddball" Coby. Anyway, it's been on my mind. Honestly, I've been trying real hard around here to finish this renovation for my folks. As it is, I feel totally guilty when a day comes and goes, and I know I should have gotten more renovating done.(smilz) I do enjoy "fiddle-farting" with these tablets!(and now, Ubuntu) Well, I don't know. I just thought I'd share these things. Sorry, I know, I talk too much sometimes.
Well, I hope you guys have a great day, no matter where it takes you! Oh ya, I will keep trying to create a bootable SD, if I can. Just need to make more space for the sources if I can. Honestly, I don't even know how much space I need, or where to find the source. Let alone, what to do, once I have it!LOL Build, make, install. Isn't it? Once a "Newb", always a... Alright, gentlemen... have a good day.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
Finally got my 8065 together, touch working well ! Unfortunately, in taking apart the "parts machine" the crt screen has deteriorated further. It was bad to begin with (bought it just for digitizer). But this makes using that device more difficult without a crt display (or much of one).

I don't own a tv with hdmi inputs. Got cable that allows me to use the digital input to the monitor for hdmi. Both the lenovo and the 8065 display on the monitor. This gives me hope i'll be able to use this setup for the "blind" 8065. One problem, hdmi only works from the operating system, so no recovery display.

Though my plan was to sell the working 8065, and keep the "bad one," it appears both will be required for a while. Any ideas on a replacement crt sreen for the 8065 anyone ?

Vampirefo mentioned the recovery.fstab file is needed to port the fake recovery to our different devices. It appears the 8065 and 7065 recovery.fstab files are the same. If that is true, can I produce the 8065 unsecure boot.img file by simply replacing the kernel in the 7065 unsecure boot.img ?

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Sorry to hear about the screen!(sighs)

I'm always looking around on ebay, and the AliExpress/AliBaba, etc. If I come across anything, I will let you know right away! The screens and digitizers on the 7065 and 8065 are really nice when they function 100%. But I notice many units I have seen on line, the display either breaks from usage, or the component fails over time. I try to be REALLY "ginger-like" when I dis-assemble/re-assemble any of these tablets(especially when it comes to the LCDs and the digitizers) because those darned parts are so easy to get messed up, and 100 times harder to find.(especially on MY budget)LOL I WILL keep an eagles eye out for you tpaine. Sorry again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I have the microSD set up correctly now, (for the 7033, as per the BLOG from the first post) but I'm confused about exactly how/what do I copy onto the second FAT32 partition. The place from the BLOG - "7) Copy all the firmware files to /dev/sdb1/ ." (not sure exactly what goes here.) Vampire added two (2) ext4 behind this partition too. Do I also? As of now, I just copied EVERYTHING from my 7033 dump onto FAT32. That can't be right!(smilz) Oh LORD! Lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once I do have it created correctly, I place it in the SD slot, and boot it up into it? Or do we go into Recovery first? It is confusing me.(scratching my head 'til what little hair I still have is falling out)LOLLllllll

--------Side note--------

Boy I wish they could make a decent miniature soldering iron, that would heat up nice, and do a decent job. And I'm going BLIND in my old age!LOLLLLlllll I need two (2) magnifying glasses, on top of the glasses I already wear to read, etc.LOL Anyhoot!LOL

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
Maybe... I think this MIGHT help?? ?

Here's a link to a Chinese supplier: <click here> It's a Chinese Wholesale, but even though it's posted as for a "CUBE"?? ? The part looks the same as what we have. I have TOO many bookmarks!!!LOLLLLLLL but,... they can come in handy, like this.LOL I'll keep looking, but for a new part, it is cheap. The shipping,...?? ? I'm not positive. Hope for now, it helps.

---------------Another--------------------- <here> -----------------

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
I have a guy in China, he's trying to source the digitizers from his end. I said I only needed one though.LOL He probably hoped I needed a container full.(smilz) It's all a matter of connecting with the right man/woman in China.(my honest opinion) They try their best to help us out. Digitizers are tough though. Especially these 7065/8065 units. I noticed the camera hole and the (8) wires HOTATOUCH is rare for some reason.(scratching my head) Hope you all are havin' a good day too!(warm smilz)

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
@mcclain_ts
if your broken tablet wont boot from sdcard. you will need to look at Vortexflash.exe, I don't have a 7033 was told 7035 and 7033 can boot from sdcard, but if they don't then Vortexflash.exe is the only way, that tool from what I have been reading is only for windows. However it seems one can use the tool to recovery broken tablets, the first step would be to get it setup, then only flash a recovery.img or boot.img to make sure it flashed them, before moving on to system.img

ps FlashTool_EN.exe from my reading is just and english version of Vortexflash.exe

Last edited:

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
@mcclain_ts
if your broken tablet wont boot from sdcard. you will need to look at Vortexflash.exe, I don't have a 7033 was told 7035 and 7033 can boot from sdcard, but if they don't then Vortexflash.exe is the only way, that tool from what I have been reading is only for windows. However it seems one can use the tool to recovery broken tablets, the first step would be to get it setup, then only flash a recovery.img or boot.img to make sure it flashed them, before moving on to system.img
ps FlashTool_EN.exe from my reading is just and english version of Vortexflash.exe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Vampire! How've you been?
I've been thinking about sending you one!(7033)(warm smilz) Don't know if you'd like me to do that, but I figured you could do whatever kind of testing you like on it, build a CWM recovery for it, and either keep it, or sell it.(warm smilz) Hope that's not coming off as offensive. I just know for certain you have A LOT more "where-with-all" to get 'er done!(warm smilz) I'd send you the good one. I've got another besides the bootloop one, just needs another digitizer. I got my eyes peeled for one.(smilz)
I don't know. Let me know if you'd have time/be interested. And hey, thanks for the heads up on the Vortex thing. I will look around for it. LOL I been trying to do that SD card thing from the get-go/to boot from Sd? I'm a lame-brain sometimes at all this stuff.LOL But I do try my best. I've been trying to use the Ubuntu on a single processor laptop.(don't even know if that's possible) I'd like to learn how to build stuff from source. I've been following a guide from over at XDA-University?? ? But the guide sort of drops the ball at a certain point. I'm at the part where you enter the URL of the repository you want to try, but the way they word it, it's just too vague. Tried, but for the life of me, I'm not seeing anything showing up on my laptop, in the directory I set up. Oh well, I'll just look for another tutorial.(smilz) Can a guy use an x86/non-multi-core 32bit machine to do anything? I know it will be slower, but do I have to have a 64bit machine? Well, thanks a lot for your kind help and inspiration.

Oh, forgot to say, please keep your eyes pealed for a new LCD screen for tpaine's mid8065. He needs a new one. I've been trying to locate one out of China for him.(smilz) That's about the only other place besides ebay I can think of to find one. He may need a digitizer too.(I'm not certain about that.)

Anyway, thanks again! You take care, and be safe!(smilz)

Todd

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I mainly use 64 bit, but do use 32 bit to compile stuff, My computer has 5 OS on it, kanotix linux is my main 32bit OS, that I use.

My setup up is a AMD quard core, 3 hardrive, 8GB Ram, 5 OS computer, 24 "inch screen.

Crunch OS
Ubuntu 12.04 64bit

Play time
kanotix 32 bit

Retired Crunch OS
Mepis-Gnome 64bit

Bored time
Pclinuxos gnome 64bit

Flash Livesuite
Windows XP 32bit

Yes I would like to have a 7033, and appreciate your offer. Yes I would build a cw recovery for it, and would also test out the FlashTool_EN.exe, and hopefully be able to upload a way to repair these tablets, main thing would be to swap out recoveries, and boot.img to be able to get adb working all the time.

Enjoy your Holiday

mcclain_ts

Aug 29, 2013
HAPPY THANKSGIVING Vampire!!!(warm smilz)

That REALLY sounds like a SMOKIN' set up you have there!(warm smilz) A cool setup too, different portions flavors for different moods. I like it!(smilz) Quad cores with a BIG screen! Also nice!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your plan for the 7033? ?? I like it too.(warm smilz)

You and yours have a great Turkey DAY!!!(smilz) Be safe!
Thanks again!

Todd

Last edited: