An idiot after a guide.....

endaf

Sep 11, 2012
Hi all, recently joined, after some help from you guys.
Recently bought myself an used Onda Vi40, generally happy with it but i cant seem to download a lot of the apps im after, saying its not compatiple with the device etc.
Ive looked on line & it seems i need to update the firmware for UK spec etc but im a total newbie to all this & this is my 1st tablet.
can any of you kind people out there give me a totally idiots guide to getting the Onda to work on the UK version of android play & be able to browse the internet correctly etc.
Am i able to do it all through the tablet or would i need to use a desktop computer 1st etc?
Any & all help given is hugely appreciated.....

Endaf

helluva66

Jul 16, 2012
Hi,

I am in the exact same place as Endaf. I have read and tried everything I can to upgrade the firmware on my Onda vi40 Elite v3 without success, because I am not familiar with the terminology or processes others are familiar with. I love the Elite, but it has app startup issues and browser lags.

I too would appreciate a total idiot's guide to upgrading my Onda.

Thanks so much in advance!

helluva66

James2205

May 28, 2012
Hi both and welcome.
There is a very good guide on the topnotchtablets website - A10 Firmware Images and Instructions | www.topnotchtablets.com
You need a program called Livesuit - Install Livesuite - A10 Firmware Flashing Utility | www.topnotchtablets.com
These instructions are for V3 Onda vi40 Elite - endaf you will need to clarify this - there are details on this forum as to how you do that.
You don't have to use the TNT custom firmware, but I do and in my opinion it is a decent option and gives you pretty good access to the various apps you will probably want.
Good luck...
James

helluva66

Jul 16, 2012
Thanks James for your response! I am running version 4.0.3 and was able to upgrade from Gingerbread to ICS sometime after I bought the Onda.

The problem I am experiencing is that I constantly get a "Wait?" when I am trying to open a app. The processes are also sluggish. I have been researching for many hours on how to update to 4.0.4 with little luck. I can't even download that firmware as the only place I could locate it was on a Chinese server which hangs after a partial download.

So, I started looking at mods such as TNT and Cryogen 9 but have now noticed that the TNT version is 4.0.3. I was having trouble installing the TNT mod, and contacted the website/author for help a while back, but have had no response.

I read an earlier post you had where you talked about being a newbie and the issues you faced. I am you from back then. Any "for dummies" steps you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

Don from Canada (helluva66)

endaf

Sep 11, 2012
Hi James2205, thanks for that help, much appreciated, i'll have a play with it over the weekend & any more help you can dish out for the tablet newbie i would be eternally greatful....thanks again!