...and we're rooted (Stock 1.2 rooted ManualNooter 4.4.27)

Zamboniman

Apr 25, 2011
Gosh I dunno what's got into those xda guys. This one took 'em almost a whole 24 hours.

All the credit goes to the people over at xda-developers who somehow magically put this together in no time at all. I'm just passing it on.

See ManualNooter 4.4.27 (For Stock 1.2) - xda-developers for details. It's a ManualNooter process, so no autonooter yet. Just a wee bit more complicated, but follow the instructions and there shouldn't be any trouble.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Very nice. I am sure the autonoot isn't far behind. :)

Arcadia

Apr 28, 2011
this is great news. I foolishly depended on the stock update. For some reason I cannot fathom, I imagined it would provide some of the functionality I wanted...

Top of my "want"-list had a messenger, so I am not too impressed with the update. Of course I managed to update before realizing that rolling back is not trivial. You can NOT downgrade by placing version 1.1 in the root of the NC, and I have of yet been unwilling to flash the 1.0 images available (not really sure it would make much difference in terms of functionality).

works like a charm, though Zaem wouldn't run apk files but IOexplorer from store wasn't as picky. Really easy to implement and no reboot issues. Includes all the essentials. I can only recommend this if you have a stock 1.2 NC.

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Good news!

Quote:
THIS IS FOR 1.2+ ONLY

This is a manual Nooter file to streamline the rooting process for the NookColor. This has been tested by myself and others.

Thanks To:

• pokey9000 - Original Nooter that started the AutoNooter and ManualNooter Projects.
  • nemith - CWM on NOOKcolor, ADB fixes for 1.2, alternative to framework.jar hacks.
  • mastapsi - Coding help.
  • lewellyn - Coding help and support.
  • Suteru - Boot Animation.
  • [mbm] - ABI Fix that was preventing some apps from running properly.
  • bpk - Soft Keys
  • Ben74 - NookColor Tools
  • Michael Bentz - Zeam Minimalist Launcher which allows us to access apps.
  • Freenode's #nookcolor chat - dealing with my crap, checking my code, keeping me motivated.
  • Donators - Even though I don't think I deserve it a few of you have donated for my work piecing things like this together. It's appreciated.

Please Note: If I'm using your app within ManualNooter or AutoNooter and you'd like it removed please send me a PM stating so and I will do so for future versions.

Changes:
Added: Zeam Launcher to Access Non B&N Apps
Removes: Live Wallpapers
Update: Gapps for Froyo
Update: Soft Keys 3.0.6

What it does:
Installs su and Superuser.apk
Installs Busybox
Installs Softkeys 3.0.6
Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
Installs Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
Enable Multi-touch for Android Apps
App Auto Install (Open up update.zip from sdcard drop in /data/app)

How to Use:

Before you begin:

* To update to 1.2 you must do a complete wipe.
* You must update to 1.2 to use ManualNooter 4.4.27 Instructions Here.

1 You must already have a registered NOOKcolor
2 You must have a Google Account, for Gmail, Market, Etc. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
3 CWM Bootable from SD Card: [RECOVERY] Making an updated bootable ClockworkMod SD - xda-developers - You should be able to use 3.0.0.5+
3 emmc CWM Recovery Installed.
4 You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

Let's get started:

1 Download ManualNooter from here: ManualNooter-4-4-27.zip
2 Drop onto the root of your flashable CWM
3 Unplug your NOOKcolor from computer. (If Plugged in.)
4 Turn off your NookColor.
5 Insert Flashable CWM SDcard with ManulNooter into your NOOKcolor.
6 Plug the USB cable into your computer and your NOOKcolor. (This will boot up the NOOKcolor.)
7 When CWM boots select the following (Using Volume and n Buttons):
8 - install zip from sdcard
9 - choose zip from sdcard
10 - manualnooter-4-4-27.zip
11 Wait patiently and follow onscreen directions.
12 After it loads select Zeam Launcher.
13 Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service/Sign In.

If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted.

14 Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.

If you want to revert your card to a "usable" state.
15 Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

• Known Issues.
  • IMEI Force Close - There is no randomly Generated IMEI in this version. - Apps that close due to lack of IMEI need to be fixed by Developers not users.
  • Lack of file manager can make it harder to install side loaded apps. - Will have to use browser.
  • Current Market Issues.
  • Newer versions of Market appends /cache/download path with null: "/cache/downloadnull/"
  • Newer versions of Market when trying to install downloaded apps returns: "[51] AssetDownloader$DownloadManagerBroadcastReceiver.i nstallFromUri(): Could not verify APK signature."
  • Market has limited visibility - Using CM6 Fingerprint. Maybe permissions, something else?
  • Market v1.82 may try to update breaking in the same way as above. - May auto-magically fix itself too? Don't know what happened, keep an eye out for this.

Complete Wipe:
1 8 Failed Boots > Wipes /system
2 Factory Reset > Wipes /data
You must do both of these to completely wipe clean your NOOKcolor.

1hen2ducks

Mar 7, 2011
You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

I don't have the experience needed. Must wait for auto-nooter.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I have time and a pc Sunday finally to root mine and my friend nook. We both have 1.1.0. Should I just use 3.0 autonoter or it's worth it to update to 1.2 and go from there with the new manual.How is you tube and flush?
Gloria

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
So Rico, do we know what the procedure will be for those of us that are Autonooted 3.0 on 1.1? I read the instructions, but it just says to start with a stock NC updated to 1.2, so do we apply the new 1.2 update over the top of the 1.1 rooted or do we unroot first and return to stock 1.1 before upgrading to 1.2. Just want to be clear before I hose the whole thing. I will probably wait for the auto rooter anyway, but the question still stands.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You'll probably want to restore back to a stock nook first then update to 1.2 then root again. Though installing 1.2 over your current root will break root it will not install fresh leaving some bits working sand not others which may cause problems when you go to root 1.2.

Goldberry

Apr 29, 2011
Total Newb to this stuff, some questions from you guys to help me out please.

Present situation is NC with update to 1.2 and using CM7 (7.0.0) from an SD card. Working okay but as I am becoming comfortable with CM7 getting ready to make the plunge to root the NC.

First is there something that I can use to first backup my NC stock so that if necessary I can put the info on SD card and return it to 1.2 as it is now?

What OS does the above manual nooter install, or do you pick one as part of the process?

Does this process leave the original NC 1.2 on the Nook so that to return to stock it is just a matter of changing some internal boot pointer or whatever?

What is CVM?

After rooted can I simple hook up to PC with USB and place or delete files as I can now. This is one of the things that are frustrating with booting from SD card. Need to use something like MyPhoneExplorer to access the card

I have also read some people are set up as a dula boot and can choose either stock or rooted is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any help.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
@goldberry:

The only way to backup a non-rooted 1.2 would be to use CWR on an SD card (that should work)

This nooter just opens the root to 1.2. So the OS would be FROYO.

There is a difference between rooting and a custom ROM....Rooting is just granting you access to manipulate the current OS installed. Where CM7 (and the others) completely remove the default OS and install theirs.

If you wanted to 'unroot', you would have to strip it back to barebones version 1.0.0 or 1.0.1 (as we don't have stock images for the 1.1 or 1.2 at this time)

Yes, after rooting, when you plug in your USB to your PC, you should see two drives (1 is the internal memory, the 2nd will be your SD card, if inserted)

Dual booting is possible, with caveats. Check the thread called Dual Boot Discussions in the tech section for more information.

schtuka

Apr 27, 2011
Yeah, get a cheap sd card 1-2 gb. I had one laying around from something. Always good for restoring back to stock 1.2. Personally, I do not see a need for a back up of non-rooted stock version.