...and we're rooted (Stock 1.2 rooted ManualNooter 4.4.27)

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Found an interesting problem...the market that gets installed doesn't let you link up with the online market...My sister just bought a NC, so I was just going to root her 1.2...but this is crap. I am going to kick her back down to 1.1. She lives a couple hours from me, so its not like she can just run over here if there is a problem...and not being able to install angry birds would be a problem. She isn't tech savvy enough to understand moving file with a file explorer and crap like that...she just wants it to work. (The work arounds on XDA are little help, just guys saying, well tough, if you don't like it oh well)

My advice to anyone coming here to find out how to do this....don't! Not yet. This manual-nooter is only half baked and if you aren't technically inclined, it will only cause you heartache.

willysnut

May 1, 2011
Did this today, thanks to all that produced it. It worked great. I have only found one problem and I have this same problem with Honeycomb on the SD. When I use the market some apps won't download because they aren't compatible with my device. The phone selection is grayed out. I did auto-nooter when it was 1.1 and they worked there. What setting is different between them and can it be changed to make it work on the rooted 1.2 and Honeycomb?

RipplingHurst

Mar 3, 2011
Okay I have a Nook Color with stock 1.2. I have updated bootable ClockworkMod SD card. I have booted and navigated some option, but I haven't copied the Manual Nooter 4.5.2 yet. Just a question, do I need to do this if I want to try Phiremod, or can I just copy Phiremod into the SD card and start from there? It looks though that I need to use rom manager first from a rooted environment? But to get to rom manager, I need to root it (with Manual nooter 4.5.2), then install rom manager, and then somehow boot from there with the CWM Sd card - but when you boot, rom manager is influential how exactly, after boot?

Sorry for the newbiness...

Cheers,

RH.

Zamboniman

Apr 25, 2011
No you don't have to root to do that. That's what's so nice about this thing. Since it boots from SD before internal memory everything can be done from there.

You can boot into a cwm on an SD card and install roms onto SD card from there. There is a thread on xda with details on this designed specifically for cm7. Look for size agnostic bootable SD or something close to that.

This wont touch your stock system. Pop out the card and its back to normal.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
No you don't have to root to do that. That's what's so nice about this thing. Since it boots from SD before internal memory everything can be done from there.

You can boot into a cwm on an SD card and install roms onto SD card from there. There is a thread on xda with details on this designed specifically for cm7. Look for size agnostic bootable SD or something close to that.

This wont touch your stock system. Pop out the card and its back to normal.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

You have two options that do not require rooting or ROM Manager for getting custom ROMs.

1. You can create a bootable ClockworkMod Recovery SD card that will allow you to flash the ROM zip of your choice to internal memory, or

2. You can create a bootable SD card that contains the ROM on it so that you boot into it whenever the SD card is installed and back into your regular Nook whenever the card is removed. Here is an exapmle of how to setup a bootable ROM SD card http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

RipplingHurst

Mar 3, 2011
Thanks guys, I just did that and I'm playing with phiremod right now and I'm loving it!

Cheers

RH

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

d3bear

Apr 29, 2011
I have used the manual root method as well without major issue.

The are 2 things that I have noticed:
1) When I go to the market it is not showing the applications that I had with the Autonooter. It appears that the selections are not available and the applications are different than before.
2) While at the market there are times it exits for no reason. I will be looking for the application and the next thing I know it exits. I am back at the local home screen.

Any ideas?

schtuka

Apr 27, 2011
there is a work around you can try posted on xda at the bottom of manual nooter thread. works for me

d3bear

Apr 29, 2011
The instructions were able to get the old applications back. The exiting the market place still seems to be a minor issue.

Thanks for the tip of the bottom instructions.

d3bear

Apr 29, 2011
Ok.....The calendar does not appear to work. I even tried to load a different app and did allow to add or include google calendar. I tried to uninstall calendar and it would not allow it.

Any suggestions?

Darryl

schtuka

Apr 27, 2011
Known problem, use Calengoo reported to sync with Google.

Ok.....The calendar does not appear to work. I even tried to load a different app and did allow to add or include google calendar. I tried to uninstall calendar and it would not allow it.

Any suggestions?

Darryl

d3bear

Apr 29, 2011
CalenGoo was the ticket. I had tried 2 other applications prior and one that specifically worked when I rooted prior to the 1.2 update.

Thanks for tip.:)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I got the update yesterday from B&N. Is it worth it at all to root with Auto Nooter 4.2.27?
Anybody happy with it?
Gloria

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
I'm at step 7 of "Let's get started:". Before going on to step 8, shouldn't I makea backup of my stock 1.2.0 system on the CWM SDcard? Otherwise, how could I restore it in case I need some warranty work done?

I just backed up my 1.2.0, do I need to be concerned about the following messages or am I good to go:

no /sdcard/ .android secure found. skipping backup of applications on external storage
no sd-ext found. skipping backup of sd.ext

Last edited: