...and we're rooted (Stock 1.2 rooted ManualNooter 4.4.27)

kodiak99

May 6, 2011
Another NC Newb here trying to figure this rooting thing out. The only sd card I have is a 16GB. Is there a CWM 3.0.2.8 for my size card?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I'm at step 7 of "Let's get started:". Before going on to step 8, shouldn't I makea backup of my stock 1.2.0 system on the CWM SDcard? Otherwise, how could I restore it in case I need some warranty work done?

I just backed up my 1.2.0, do I need to be concerned about the following messages or am I good to go:

no /sdcard/ .android secure found. skipping backup of applications on external storage
no sd-ext found. skipping backup of sd.ext

I think that is common and shouldn't be an issue. Just look on the SD card and see if a file was created with the date of the backup, that should be the backup folder. Aslo when you are in CWR if you choose to restore a backup you should see the list of you backup folders to choose. Either way will confirm that the backup was actually made.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Another NC Newb here trying to figure this rooting thing out. The only sd card I have is a 16GB. Is there a CWM 3.0.2.8 for my size card?

You can always use a file for a card smaller than your size but never larger. So for example if you only see a bootable CWR image for a 4GB card you can use that on a 16GB just fine. You probably don't want to use a card that big as a permanent bootable CWR card anyway, so just set it up to flash what you need then install CWR internally and format your card so you have a useable SD card again.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
If you follow the SxS instructions posted earlier in this thread, I would recommend you download the ManualNooter using the link below. IMHO v4.5.6 seems much better than v4.4.27. Other than that, the instructions are very good.

Download ManualNooter from here: ManualNooter-4-5.6.zip

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
@J5150P,
You were right, the "no /sdcard/ .android secure found. skipping backup of applications on external storage" and "no sd-ext found. skipping backup of sd.ext" messages while backing up my stock 1.2.0 system weren't important. Going from v4.4.27 to v4.5.6 required restoring 1.2.0 and the restore worked perfectly. Thanks again.

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
Rather that to start another thread I thought I would tack this on here. I am rooted with Manual Nooter 4.5.25. I had read somewhere that this nooter uses a custom kernel. What are the differences from the stock kernel to this one. I had heard that MN 4.5.25 had a over clocked kernel, if so, how much? Also just noticed that MN 4.5.27 is out, what's the difference and should I consider rooting over the top of .25?

Oops, disregard that last sentence, I didn't see that it was 4.4 instead of 4.5. Still would like to know about the over clocked kernel.

Last edited:

vizo

Jun 8, 2011
Hi,

I do not want to start another thread. I have not yet received my NC, but I am checking to see how I will root it as soon as I get it. Reading various places including the XDA developers, I am a little confused on one issue.

There is one image, MN 4.5.27, and another image CWM 3.0.2.8. How do we copy two separate images to the same SD card? Apparently I am missing something.

I need some help for removing this mental block of mine.
Thanks for any help.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
There is one image, MN 4.5.27, and another image CWM 3.0.2.8. How do we copy two separate images to the same SD card? Apparently I am missing something.

You flash the CWM image to your SD card to create a "bootable" CWM SD card. Then, you copy the MN file to that card, so you can install it to your Nook.

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
So, can anyone confirm whether Manual Nooter 4.5.25 uses a custom kernel or not and where I can find out some information on it?

Sep 24, 2010
With the ManualNooter can I still install an app to play different video formats from SD (Divx, Xvid, etc) and a Comic Book reader (CBR file format)?

If so which app do you recommend?

Last edited:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
After the ManualNooter you can download any apps that are compatible with the Nook. Sorry I can't help with the Comic Book Reader, but I'm sure you'll find something you like in the market.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I wish you had been right... Here we are almost two months later and as far as I can see, still no autonooter. I'm bummed.

Well, no auto nooter but the manual nooter isn't too manual. Besides that you have other options like custom ROMs. So don't let an official autonooter hang you up from getting the most out of your nook. :)

JP

Clay

May 2, 2011
Personally i have fallen in love with phiremod 6.3...it has been the best for me and i have tried out more than a few. I suggest you back to 1.1 and root phiremod 6.3 til the new auto-nooter is up.

Sent from my phiremod for Nook using Android Tablet Forum