Android 2.2 Not Designed For The Tablet Form Factor

DVM

Sep 10, 2010
I am brand new to this forum and have been looking forward to purchasing an Android Tablet in the not too distant future. I own nothing based on Android but have many friends with Android phones and hope to have one myself some day. Today I came across the following article:
Google: Android 2.2 'not designed' for the tablet form factor -- Engadget

Needless to say this dashed my hopes! I did hear that a major issue with Android Tablets are the lack of the Android Marketplace. I'm curious what the opinion might be of those much more familiar with Android and how it may work the tablet.

wmwinn

Aug 22, 2010
I am brand new to this forum and have been looking forward to purchasing an Android Tablet in the not too distant future. I own nothing based on Android but have many friends with Android phones and hope to have one myself some day. Today I came across the following article:
Google: Android 2.2 'not designed' for the tablet form factor -- Engadget

Needless to say this dashed my hopes! I did hear that a major issue with Android Tablets are the lack of the Android Marketplace. I'm curious what the opinion might be of those much more familiar with Android and how it may work the tablet.

I have been very happy with the Android OS on my tablet. Marketplace works nicely, easy download HUNDREDs of apps.

Carbira1

Aug 7, 2010
Yes in a sense it is true. It is not truly made for tablets but most like my gentouch78, work fine. With a little work even if you don't have the Official Market, you can get other app stores that work just as good. Not every tablet is for everyone. You should post what your are expecting to get out of you tablet and maybe I can help you in some way picking one out if you do decide to get one.

tipstir

Developer
Aug 4, 2010
Apple and Android need to make a OS for the Tablet only. Right now it's based on Smart Cell Phone OS. Or remove the phone features and make it Tablet OS. Android OS 2.2 look more well balanced over current Android 2.1.

dpeagle

Sep 7, 2010
android 3.0 aka "gingerbread" a more tablet friendly OS should also be released by years end.

Last edited: