Android 2.2 or 2.3

sundance2011

Nov 28, 2011
I'm looking at the FlyTouch 3 and 5. The main difference I can see is one has Android 2.2 and the other 2.3.
Is there enough improvements from .2 to .3 I should get .3? What are the major improvements? Can I upgrade the device from 2.2 to 2.3?

Thanks

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
Upgraded features from Android 2.2 - 2.3-*

1. New user interface has a simple and attractive theme in black background, which is designed to give a vivid look while being power efficient too. Menu and settings are changed for ease of navigation.

2. Redesigned soft keyboard is optimized for quicker and accurate text input and editing. And the word being edited and dictionary suggestion is vivid and easy to read.

3. Multi touch key cording to input number and symbols without changing input mode.

4. Selection of word and copy/paste made easy.

5. Improved power management through application control.

6. Provide user awareness on power consumption. Users can view how the battery is used and which consume more.

7. Internet calling – supports SIP calls to other users with SIP account

8. Support Near-field communication (NFC) – high frequency high speech data transfer within a short range (10 cm). This will be useful feature in m commerce.

9. A new download manager facility that supports easy storage and retrieval of downloads.

10. Support for multiple cameras

Improvements included with Android 2.3.3 update

1. Improved and extended support for NFC – this allows applications to interact with more types of tags and access them in new ways. The new APIs have included wider range of tag technologies and allow limited peer to peer communication.

Also it has a feature for developers to request Android Market to not to show their applications to users if the device does not support NFC. In Android 2.3 when an application is called by a user and if the device does not support NFC it returns a null object.

2. Support for Bluetooth non-secure socket connections – this allows applications to communicate even with devices that is not having UI for authentication.

3. New bitmap region decoder added for applications to clip part of an image and features.

4. Unified interface for media – to retrieve frame and metadata from input media file.

5. New fields for specifying AMR-WB and ACC formats.

6. New constants added for speech recognition API – this supports developers to show in their application a different view for voice search results.

Last edited:

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
I can only base it on my Droid 2, and I do like the improvements of 2.3 over 2.2. My Xoom runs Android 3.2.-*, so I can't tell you how it runs on the tablet.

vaskodj

Nov 29, 2011
Can someone please help me root my android 2.2-20110503, kernel version 2.6.32.9 zjd@dtlinuxserver #78, bild number FRF85B.
I have tried all the apps for getting root acsses but nothing works.
thanks

sundance2011

Nov 28, 2011
Thanks feverhost. Can a tablet with 2.2 be upgraded to 2.3 -2.3.3? Does it need to be rooted to do so, how hard is the rooting process?

Thanks