android 3.1?

May 10, 2011
Hey guys, new to Android, and this forum. I got my a500 a couple weeks ago and I'm loving it! Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about when we will be getting updated to 3.1? I can't wait for stretchable widgets and USB hostness... hopefully they fixed a lot of honeycomb bugs too. But anyhoo if you have heard anything, I would appreciate it.

MrBlazito

May 8, 2011
Looks like the xoom owners are getting the 3.1 update today...what does that mean for us a500 owners?

May 10, 2011
Right? It makes me kinda angry that google did that. What's so special about the Xoom? It doesn't even have a full sized USB port to take advantage of the new features. Lol

Raven312

Mar 28, 2011
Xoom's purpose was to announce Google's (supported) presence in the tablet arena and it was pretty much written off as a failed attempt (critically), though it is a great tablet. Google HAS to give it to them first, as those customers took a chance, spent their money (a lot of it!), and supported that attempt. 3.1 might be just what the Xoom needs to show how special it is. We'll get it, too. Have to be a little patient.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

farnsbarns

May 10, 2011
It's down to Moto/Acer, not Google. Moto got their 3.1 ROM out first, good, let the Acer guys learn from what ever mistakes Moto might make!

Mippster

Apr 25, 2011
somehow i don't like that :
For those that are sick and tired of being left in the dark when it comes to OS updates for Android devices, Google has formed a coalition of wireless carriers (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint in the U.S) and device manufacturers (HTC, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, LG, and Motorola) who pledge to make sure that customers are guaranteed prompt OS upgrades.
( taken from dailytech.com)
Though on official Google's blog they say "we welcome others to join us", it sounds like "yeah but first go to the end of line and wait your turn". I have to say it's sad as today's big names don't always produce big stuff , and as we all here know Acer has produced something worth mentioning , but hey it's always the money talking :D
I have never been disappointed by Acer's support so i hope i won't be in future.

ceramicsaturn

Mar 22, 2011
Yea, this is my first Acer product that wasn't a monitor. I'm hoping they support their tablet through at least Ice Cream Sandwich. USB support for gamepads would be a dream come try for emulator users. Still, I'd almost rather have all those games I've been drooling over in the Tegra Zone. They keep getting pushed back!

dan776

Apr 27, 2011
Just because 3.1 doesn't come out today, doesn't mean it won't come out soon...

Acer wouldn't spend tons of capital on developing this thing, getting a full size USB port, without knowing it would be updating to the next version to support it... We just learned about 3.1 features today, you can be sure Acer knew about them when developing the hardware.

Just gotta be patient. In the meantime, we have this great tablet to play with!

MrBlazito

May 8, 2011
I've read on one site that supposedly the 3.1 update didn't fix many of the issues/glitches found on the 3.0...will they have separate patches to fix issues like the screen coming on while in sleep mode?

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I've read on one site that supposedly the 3.1 update didn't fix many of the issues/glitches found on the 3.0...will they have separate patches to fix issues like the screen coming on while in sleep mode?

Well there are some of those issues and glitches that are specific to the Xoom.
Nobody knows how much was really fixed on other devices because nobody has it running on anything else.

I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the performance of the A500, and can't see a great deal wrong
with this 3.0.1 release that came on the device. There are certainly no major limitiations that I have
seen other than the lack of Bluetooth profiles other than headphone support.

This is clearly the best release 1.0 device I've ever purchased, and to think it came from ACER and not Moto/Sammy is amazing.

drozas

May 1, 2011
I agree. After sorting out my gps issues, my a500 has become my primary form of connecting to the internet. Well worth the investment. Next up, I need a case because I find the aluminum back rather slick in my hand.

gabrielbcn

Apr 20, 2011

I have read that the update polishes lots of details in the main system applications and makes a difference in the overall experience, even changing the input keyboards. Crossing my fingers...

rkka93

May 5, 2011
If you are rooted...can you get an OTA update? May it depend on if you've deleted or renamed apks?

dhornick

May 12, 2011
Just because 3.1 doesn't come out today, doesn't mean it won't come out soon...

Acer wouldn't spend tons of capital on developing this thing, getting a full size USB port, without knowing it would be updating to the next version to support it... We just learned about 3.1 features today, you can be sure Acer knew about them when developing the hardware.

Just gotta be patient. In the meantime, we have this great tablet to play with!

Yeah I completely agree, it seems like this tablet might be the most well equipped to get the most from 3.1 but so far I can't put it down