Android 4.0 on cheap tablets?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I was thinking the same thing. My question would be, what specs would the device want to have in order to "support" the 4.0 OS? I am thinking of getting a Le Pan tablet running a cortex A8 1gz processor with 512mb of ram...Would that work for 4.0 or should I just root it with honeycomb? I'm new at this techy stuff so bear with me : ) AAAAAND, the tablet is stock with android 2.2, so how would I get 2.3, or 4.0? Thanks!

Ice Cream Sandwich doesn't require anything special to run. It is basically the same as Gingerbread requirements (a) 256MB of RAM and (b) a decent GPu. That's it. This basically means almost anything can run it.

What about the New amazon fire? would Ice Cream run good on that? I was thinking about getting one or getting the Nook color. I really like the way the nook color feels. I also have a craig cmp738B. Is there any word when a root.rom is coming out for that. the OS on it sucks really bad. lol

Ice Cream Sandwich hasn't really made its way into the public but based on everything available about it, it should be able to run well on just about any tablet currently being made including the Fire.

I can recommend the Nook Color, it already has root, custom ROMs, an established community and developer support. If you meant to say the Nook Tablet, that is also a good way to go although at the moment it only has root and not custom ROMs. It is unclear at this time if custom ROMs will be available on the Nook Tablet.

m3red

Oct 19, 2011
Well that's good to know. I really like the Nook Color. I going to start looking for a good deal for a Nook Color right now. Right now i have a Craig CMP738B. I cant wait until someone makes a root for that. Its a good little cheap Tablet. But if no one will make one for it ill start teaching myself Android OS stuff and try to make my own. :)

Dec 16, 2011
I don't know.. I bought the NOVO 7 basic because of the price and it is apparently the first tab officially running ICS (i think.) But for the price, I figure why not? Poeple say "save your money and buy the more expensive one." The thing is, the more expensive one is at least $400. If that's the case, it's not really a problem to drop $100 on a "cheap tablet" so toy around with until you get the rest of the money for the expensive one. Spending that $100 on a device won't set you back THAT much seeing as how only a fraction of the price and is an official android device. That way, you can mess around with it, have pretty low expections, and be AMAZED when you actually get that $400 tablet that apparently is in a league of their own.
I have yet to receive my NOVO from china (probably after christmas), but from what Ive seen about it soo far, it seems pretty decent. But like that old adage goes, you get what you pay for... we'll see

pharoah

Sep 5, 2010
i hope to eventually see a quad core tegra 3 archos.with a 250gb drive that would be cool.

Mr.Tablet

Dec 19, 2011
i hope to eventually see a quad core tegra 3 archos.with a 250gb drive that would be cool.

It probably won't happen though. It would be far to expensive to be called a budget tab. For the Price that it would cost people would probably buy a Samsung tab or an ASUS Transformer Prime.

mbo1951

Jul 10, 2011
That's an odd web page with lots of misspellings. I don't think I would buy from it to be honest.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Tablet Forum

Ksquared_au

Jan 9, 2012
Santa bought me a Zt280 Z102 . came shipped with 2.3 Just the other day Zenithink released ICS, so naturally i jumped on it. It has made a big difference, in the feel and speed of the unit.
A couple of issues have appeared. I cant find bluetooth and airplane mode. The Cell Standby is sucking 70-80% (or so the battery indicator says) even though i believe i have disabled radio.

Any help on that would be sweet....

criver

Oct 20, 2011
Hi!
I have a ZT-280 C91 running ICS and I'm quite happy with it (apart from android's nagging android.process.media, but that's android's software fault which was even in Gingerbread).
Also, quite a few chinese tablets run ICS - like yamcooy said the Ramos W6HD, the Ainol Novo 7 Basic/Paladin/Elf and especially the ainol ones are quite cheap - so I guess there's already plenty of choice.

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
Alot of the tablets claiming to be running ics doesnt even look like ics...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Santa bought me a Zt280 Z102 . came shipped with 2.3 Just the other day Zenithink released ICS, so naturally i jumped on it. It has made a big difference, in the feel and speed of the unit.
A couple of issues have appeared. I cant find bluetooth and airplane mode. The Cell Standby is sucking 70-80% (or so the battery indicator says) even though i believe i have disabled radio.

Any help on that would be sweet....

Since you tablet doesn't have a cell chip on board it isn't actually wasting any battery on cell standby. This is a known issue in gingerbread where the Cell Standby is misreported idle time. I thought ICS was going to fix this :(

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Alot of the tablets claiming to be running ics doesnt even look like ics...

Yep, because it probably isn't. I don't think you can trust the claims of ICS any more than you can trust any of the other claims made by the knock off companies (such as "Market access" which turns out to be some limited Chinese market of apps). Only time will tell for the people brave enough to risk picking up these tablets. Just remember you usually get what you pay for ;)

Biotic

Staff member
Jan 23, 2011
Indeed. A cheap tablet loaded with honeycomb with an identity of ics. You can tell its ics when half the apps your use to using dont work or are incapadible ;)