Android 5????????

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Just saw the ad on this forum site saying:

Android 5 coming soon.

As we say here in Oz "yeah right!"

For those of you fellow forum browsers who do not understand the Aussie lingo - a double positive actually means a sarcastic negative.

We Acer A500 users are still awaiting ICS, Android 4, and they're talking about 5. And what are they going to call it? SUGAR? SUGAR CUBE? SUGAR BABE?
:confused::confused:

2000roadie

Aug 12, 2011

Android 5 coming soon.

For those of you fellow forum browsers who do not understand the Aussie lingo - a double positive actually means a sarcastic negative.

We Acer A500 users are still awaiting ICS, Android 4, and they're talking about 5. And what are they going to call it? SUGAR? SUGAR CUBE? SUGAR BABE?

Android is starting to have an upgrade frenzy like MS. Start implying of new and improved before we even see the latest and greatest. I vote for calling it Banana Split.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Don't worry it isn't coming anytime soon but it is easy to speculate about something known to be coming eventually someday. Just don't get caught up in the hype. Fro example did you know Windows 9 is coming after Windows 8 launches? Only they aren't going to call it Windows 9 it is going to be known as Windows Revolution.

I just made all of that up but see how rumors get started? Of course there is going to be another version of Windows in the future. As for Android 5.0 the name is suspected to be Jellybean since J comes after I. Taking it one step further Android 6 is probably going to be called Key Lime Pie since K is after J. But just because we know there are going to be future versions of Android doesn't really mean anything tangible is coming anytime soon.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011

Android 5 coming soon.

WE may not have ICS but it has been out for a while now.
Android 5.0 is called Jelly Bean.
Android started the version alphabetically.
Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, ICS and Jelly bean.

Last edited:

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
WE may not have ICS but it has been out for a while now.
Android 5.0 is called Jelly Bean.
Android started the version alphabetically.
Cupcake, Donut, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, ICS and Jelly bean.

Actually i probably will not be Jellybean. At both tech shows I have been too, they debunked any roamer that there will definatly be a new os form, or updrage release this fal, they have specific plans for ICe Cream sandwhich with an upgraded 4.1 and 4.2 plan.

Now the hitch about Jellybean is that they told people a few times "I think people will be suprised and not so easy to guess the name".

One hint is the name Jalebi rather then Jellybean as a odd sounds similiar, but it isn't what you all thought it would be.

Jalebi is an indian sweat desert, and oddly it was hinted at in India....

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Mmmm interesting! I myself am eagerly awaiting zebedee meringue. :)!

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Yeah but you know we still don't have ICS? All the speculation doesn't satisfy the wait though. I've heard about Jelly Bean but I understood that to be a functionallity feature of ICS. Still I don't know whether the naming conventions will hold after 4.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
The rumors indicate the Android 5.0 will be released this fall, would be a good news for Android tablets owners.
Really? How so?

Most of us are still awaiting ICS from ACER. As a supporting vendor you obviously know more than we do - how slow is 5 going to be on the TEGRA 2 processors. Upgrades are always slower. What is your comment to that? Obviously ICS is optimised for TEGRA 3 so how slow is it going to be on a TEGRA 2.

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
Really? How so?

Most of us are still awaiting ICS from ACER. As a supporting vendor you obviously know more than we do - how slow is 5 going to be on the TEGRA 2 processors. Upgrades are always slower. What is your comment to that? Obviously ICS is optimised for TEGRA 3 so how slow is it going to be on a TEGRA 2.

I don't think it's going to slow us down. From what people say ics is running faster than honeycomb.

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using Android Tablet Forum

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Well take the upgrades to HC 3.2.1 -definitely slower on boot.

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
My boot time on my thrive w/honeycomb is pretty good. Prob like 30-45 secs. My htc evo on gingerbread takes up to 5 mins

Sent from my Toshiba Thrive using Android Tablet Forum

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Upgrades are always slower. What is your comment to that? Obviously ICS is optimised for TEGRA 3 so how slow is it going to be on a TEGRA 2.

As already stated this isn't necessarily true. ICS is not optimized for any hardware but it is optimized compared to previous versions of Android so it should run faster on all devices. Google has made a big effort with ICS to streamline Android and get rid of some of the lag and bloat, particularly that was in the Honeycomb build.