Android Core

DarkRhino

Jan 4, 2011
I recently purchased an Android tablet from over seas and has China/Japan apps and its an imitation market place. I'm looking for this Root everyone talks about and also the core package of Android. From what I've read, it's now 2.3 (g) version. Where would I go to find this to download this version, core elements and the like, so I can see the difference between the version I have installed and what I could replace it with. I'm looking to see if it's just settings, I can change to make it look in America's market and give me access to the USA apps. I'm also curious to see if i might be able to update my android phone to 2.3 or the latest (2.5 I) and see what it would take to run it on my laptop. I'm sure someone probably has done this. I got this tablet from bestofferbuy for about 100, and it says on front as loading android2.2. whether or not it's really froyo, i have no real way of telling besides so basic info. It wont run apps for Froyo which makes me suspicious, thats it not the 2.2 it says. Or if it is, then a stripped down version to get it to load on this ... device. I'm hoping I can find a way to Root and then update, the core and have it USA compatible.
Thanks for your time
DarkRhino

Is there alternate ways to boot into recovery mode. I tried all sorts of button combinations, and couldn't find a way in. I can use a 30 pin cord from an iPod, but only gains access to the local storage drive, that is unlocked. Any ideas?

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
First off, the latest version of the OS is Android 2.3 (Also known as Gingerbread), and there are only a few devices running this. Most are running either 2.1 (Eclair) or 2.2 (Froyo). There is no version 2.5.

Second, before anyone can answer your questions about ROMs you will need to provide a lot more specific detail about your tablet as ROMs are hardware specific.

Finally, you should read the threads that are all over here and the other forums to learn about "this Root that everyone talks about," and the rest of your questions. There are very clearly labeled threads in the Q&A section and General Section that will provide all sorts of information, or you can try using the SEARCH function.

You can also try the link in my signature line that says Questions? It will take you to the Answers section.

Cheers,
p

Last edited:

DarkRhino

Jan 4, 2011
Ahh, Thanks. I wasn't sure what all was needed. I'm not sure what the rooting is all about except it gains special access.
And for the tablet info

Memory size
256M
Model Number
generic
Firmware Version
Android2.2
Kernel version
2.6.29-00236-g4f8dbbb-dirty
Build number
WMT2.1.2

one of the files in the local directory mentions WM8505 MID

i downloaded a program called system info, and it says the ro.build.id is Donut .... does that mean i'm actually running 2.0?
ro.build user howayhuo

What else should i list that would help others give me the info i'm looking for?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
You will need Root to flash your ROM.

donut was version 1.6

I believe based on the information you provided that you have a VIA-based device, which means you could probably use ROMs developed for the Gome Flytouch tablets. you will probably want to review the Gome Flytouch threads for details, checklists and instructions.