Android Froyo

nbaptista

Nov 30, 2011
Hello,
I have the chance to buy a Tablet with Android Froyo for a good price. However I would like to know if Froyo is a good operating system for tablets or if suits better smartphones?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Froyo is a good operating system. It is technically designed for phones but is fine to run on tablets. While the newest versions of Android implement things specifically for tablets there are no issues wit running the older versions of Android as a tablet OS. In fact the majority of tablets today are running the "phone" versions of Android.

JP

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
more opinions, please

Well here's the thing you don't really have any other tablet OS options at this point. Honeycomb is tablet specific by not available unless you buy a tablet that already has it installed since Google never released the source code. Ice Cream Sandwich is the latest Android and has tablet specific features but again, it is not available at this time unless you buy a tablet with it already installed.

That leaves iOS, Blackberry OS and Palm OS. Each of these are also only available on the tablet purchased from the respective company with that tablet OS. It is also possible to get "tablets" running Windows or Linux, but these are really more of a tablet pc than a true tablet.

That brings us back to Android 2.2 (Froyo) and 3.x (Gingerbread) which are currently running on something like +80% of the tablets currently available. Were they specifically created for tablets? No. Are they a good tablet OS? Yes. Any short comings are usually made up for by developers through customized ROMs or apps that address the short comings of a "phone" OS on a tablet.

If you are that concerned about having a pure tablet OS buy a tablet that has a tablet OS pre-installed on it. In practicality you won't see much of a difference between the Android versions.

I hope that helps.

JP

AfterShafter

Dec 1, 2011
One general question about Froyo... I've got a Le Pan TC970 and an Apple bluetooth keyboard running Froyo 2.2. The keyboard pairs with the Le Pan, but then it doesn't show up in the keyboard section under settings, and the tablet doesn't accept any inputs from the physical keyboard. I've confirmed that the keyboard is functional on other devices. Does Froyo not support bluetooth keyboards, or is this an issue with the device or the specific keyboard I'm using?

SpeMall.com

Jul 13, 2011
Hello,
I have the chance to buy a Tablet with Android Froyo for a good price. However I would like to know if Froyo is a good operating system for tablets or if suits better smartphones?
Hi nbaptista, maybe you can have a look at our: Android tablet PC.there're lots of tablet PCs with android Froyo & Gingerbread OS for good price. welcome!

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
One general question about Froyo... I've got a Le Pan TC970 and an Apple bluetooth keyboard running Froyo 2.2. The keyboard pairs with the Le Pan, but then it doesn't show up in the keyboard section under settings, and the tablet doesn't accept any inputs from the physical keyboard. I've confirmed that the keyboard is functional on other devices. Does Froyo not support bluetooth keyboards, or is this an issue with the device or the specific keyboard I'm using?

Froyo does support bluetooth keyboards so your problem lies elsewhere.

AfterShafter

Dec 1, 2011
Thank you J5. I'll do some more research and see what I come up with! Once you Le Pan forums are up it'll be easier I suspect.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Thank you J5. I'll do some more research and see what I come up with! Once you Le Pan forums are up it'll be easier I suspect.

Until we get that Le Pan Forum, try putting LePan into your searches as one word. If even one post in a thread has it spelled that way. you'll get a hit. Le Pan gets you nowhere in a search as you probably found out. Also, welcome to the forum and enjoy that new tablet.:cool:

nbaptista

Nov 30, 2011
well, I´m buying Dell Streak with Androide Froyo, but is a on line order. I just hope they still have the Dell in stock!

nbaptista

Nov 30, 2011
Well, good news. The shop has the Dell in stock, so I´m just waiting for the delivery!

AfterShafter

Dec 1, 2011
Will do Spider! And thanks, I'm quite enjoying the tablet. Have been waiting since they became all the rage to find one of a reasonable size at a reasonable price in Canada, and I'm quite pleased now that I've made the leap.