android is driving me mad/wifi randomly stops responding

DavoB

Jun 22, 2012
I am starting to hate Android - with a passion. firstly, the keyboard for some reason randomly brings up a numeric keypad and i do not know how it happened, and the auto correct will sometimes decide to stop typing as I go and instead type out the word in the suggestion box and then add the word after i insert a space. how this did it i dont know either.

Secondly, there is an issue with the wifi on this device. Now and then the internet connection cuts out and the logo at the corner at the bottom of the screen seems to freeze. when i disable and reenable the wifi it goes again, only to cut out at a later unpredictable moment.

I also own a galaxy s phone with 2.3 on it and a 4g ipod touch on it with iOS and the ipod has been by a country mile the most reliable and stable device software wise. I wish I could say that I love Android devices, but sadly I cannot. I have had nothing but grief.

Forgive my poor punctuation and grammar, i am too stressed at the moment to be pedantic.

My Tablet S runs ice cream sandwich 4.0

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi DavoB welcome. Sorry to hear about your issues. From the information you provided it sounds like you probably have two bad apps rather than problems with Android. Are you using a keyboard other than stock or have you added and keyboard related apps? Check Settings>Language & input and make sure the keyboard settings all look appropriate.

Wifi dropping in and out is almost certainly a bad app that is breaking the connection. Can you recall if the problem started after adding a specific app? You can try removing apps that have been added from around the time you started noticing the issue and see if that helps. If the wifi problems have been happening since the beginning it is possible there is another issue. There can be many causes for wifi issues so you may need to search and try the different solutions which often include the following 1) unhiding the SSID so that it is broadcast 2) updating the router firmware 3) Changing to a less crowded channel 4) Using only G instead of G & N.

Given there are many things that could be causing the issues I suggest a factory reset. See if the wifi and keyboard then work. At that point slowly add back apps one at a time to see if any create issues. If you notice issues after adding a specific app uninstall that app and contact its developer with the issue.

JP

DavoB

Jun 22, 2012
Hi DavoB welcome. Sorry to hear about your issues. From the information you provided it sounds like you probably have two bad apps rather than problems with Android. Are you using a keyboard other than stock or have you added and keyboard related apps? Check Settings>Language & input and make sure the keyboard settings all look appropriate.

Wifi dropping in and out is almost certainly a bad app that is breaking the connection. Can you recall if the problem started after adding a specific app? You can try removing apps that have been added from around the time you started noticing the issue and see if that helps. If the wifi problems have been happening since the beginning it is possible there is another issue. There can be many causes for wifi issues so you may need to search and try the different solutions which often include the following 1) unhiding the SSID so that it is broadcast 2) updating the router firmware 3) Changing to a less crowded channel 4) Using only G instead of G & N.

Given there are many things that could be causing the issues I suggest a factory reset. See if the wifi and keyboard then work. At that point slowly add back apps one at a time to see if any create issues. If you notice issues after adding a specific app uninstall that app and contact its developer with the issue.

JP

Actually the wifi issue has been largely resolved after resetting my router. The keyboard problem isn't app related either as it is the stock standard keyboard that comes with ICE. I've tried a factory reset and none of the problems have been resolved. I'm keeping an eye on the keyboard problem and have disabled the autocorrect feature which I suspect is the culprit.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Actually the wifi issue has been largely resolved after resetting my router. The keyboard problem isn't app related either as it is the stock standard keyboard that comes with ICE. I've tried a factory reset and none of the problems have been resolved. I'm keeping an eye on the keyboard problem and have disabled the autocorrect feature which I suspect is the culprit.

Through lots of trial and error I have fond that when setting up your tablet after a factory reset you tell it to sync with Google, it may put back an app that had caused the problem in the first place. It might not be a bad idea to try another reset, don't sync, but add your apps back in small batches with a restart between batches.. At some point, after installing only the basic apps you absolutely need, test your tablet to make certain it's stable and doing what you want/need it to do. Then install more apps following the same routine