Android Market for 7024

dave52355

Dec 11, 2010
The Google app that is included in the Appslib market appears to be just linked to Google's translation web page. You type in the phrase you need translated and select the language to translate to and it translates. I did not see anywhere that you could " speak " into the app and have it translate nor did I see where it would " speak " back. There was another app that would speak back listed. I played with Google translate some time back with my Droid but was not very successful. It did not understand me very well and at the only time would only translate " speak " Spanish. I would wonder if the quality of either tablets mic would be good enough for any translation app?

th0mb0y

May 2, 2011
I downloaded Google Translate from the market. When I would try to use conversation mode and press the microphone it says "voice input is not supported!" Probably because the feature is still in alpha testing.

deansdad

May 10, 2011
The Google app that is included in the Appslib market appears to be just linked to Google's translation web page. You type in the phrase you need translated and select the language to translate to and it translates. I did not see anywhere that you could " speak " into the app and have it translate nor did I see where it would " speak " back. There was another app that would speak back listed. I played with Google translate some time back with my Droid but was not very successful. It did not understand me very well and at the only time would only translate " speak " Spanish. I would wonder if the quality of either tablets mic would be good enough for any translation app?

Thanks for your efforts.
There should be a "button" (if it's the same app) at the bottom that says "enter conversation mode" (or something close) which enables both record and speakback.
I hadn't considered the quality of the the mic - that's a good point.
Searched for any relevant comments and recommendations for specific devices that others have had success with but didn't turn up much. Couldn't find any "minimum equipment requirements" type info.
While the app is still in initial phases, it appears they have made some major strides in the last few months and development is continuing at a rapid pace.
Added a bunch of languages and some major upgrades to the speech qualities - still not perfect but improving.
BTW....there's another piece of the puzzle which seems equally exciting. It's called Google goggles - take a picture of something, send it to the cloud and it pops back a description. Apparently they can link together..snap a pic of a menu in Spanish, send it up and back comes the spoken words in English!! (goggle + translate)
Pretty cool stuff - here's a link:

Last edited by a moderator:

deansdad

May 10, 2011
I downloaded Google Translate from the market. When I would try to use conversation mode and press the microphone it says "voice input is not supported!" Probably because the feature is still in alpha testing.

Thanks thOmbOy,

Which "market"?
And what device are you using?

In my info travels I saw a mention by somebody of needing to also install some part of a speech engine (TTS, TTY, something like that) on some devices. Sorry I don't remember the exact name or which device it was on - just TMI and on overload.

Possible that the "issues" you had are due to alpha stage of dev but they really do appear to be moving along at a pretty good clip and the potential seems awesome.
Take a look at the youtube vid above.....ooops, sorry about that, meant for it just to be a link<g>

Anyway, thanks again for the help

rickleon

May 12, 2011
Hi I don't know if anybody tried installing from the SD Card, but while I was waiting for root explorer to download I opened one of the market files and lo and behold it asked if I wanted to install this app so i did and I did that with each file, the one that did not work was Network Location. I went back to my app desktop and there was the Market Icon, but it didn't work at first so I rebooted and voila! I just downloaded Pandora! Works great no root necessary. I just installed from the SD Card! Thanks so much for all the info.

samuka.lins

May 16, 2011
Please i'm new to android and tablets in general, i just got the MID7024 and i started to follow the tutorial but when i need to run "root explorer" it gives me the message "Root explorer has not yet managed to obtain root access. Because of issues with Superuser, this often happens the first time the app is run but is usually fine from then on.
Click OK and restart the app to try again. make sure you respond correctly to the Superuser Prompt."
But i don't get this prompt...
I have downloaded z4root and done both, temporary and permanent root, and installed "roo explorer" twice, v7 and v2.something.
Can anyone help me please?
Thank you!!!!!

rockdawg

Apr 19, 2011
Don't bother with 'rooting' if you just want the Android Market (just my opinion). Also, I think anyone can see that even though most of us are using the 7024, your mileage may vary whether this works or not. This is what worked for me.

Download the market_update0.zip file from the fileape link in the first post. It is a real link but you have to wait for the countdown to finish and the download link to appear (if more than one download link appears, choose the one with white background, outlined in light gray, and black text). If you don't click on the link within a few seconds, it times out - apparently. Took me several tries to successfully download it. Unzip/extract the files to your computer or directly to your MicroSDHC memory card. Some say to copy the 4 files in the /system/app folder of the extracted file to the /system/app folder of your Kyros, reboot and you will have the market. The 4 files are 'GoogleServicesFramework.apk', 'MarketUpdater.apk', 'NetworkLocation.apk', and 'Vending.apk'. Some indicated they installed the files rather than simply copy them over. That's the way I did it. I extracted them to my MicroSDHC card, made sure my 7024 was completely off (not just sleeping), and then inserted the card and turned the unit on.

I used the built in file manager to navigate to the directory on the external memory and I proceeded to install the files in this order (truthfully, I don't think it matters):

1. Vending.apk (rebooted)
2. MarketUpdater.apk (rebooted)
3. GoogleServicesFramework.apk (rebooted)

The Market icon was added and I proceeded to add my gmail account during the initial setup. I made sure the Background Data and Auto-sync settings were checked as mentioned in another post. Seems to work so far on my 7024 as I have installed 4 different things now.

tobyw01

Sep 28, 2010
Don't bother with 'rooting' if you just want the Android Market (just my opinion). Also, I think anyone can see that even though most of us are using the 7024, your mileage may vary whether this works or not. This is what worked for me.

Download the market_update0.zip file from the fileape link in the first post. It is a real link but you have to wait for the countdown to finish and the download link to appear (if more than one download link appears, choose the one with white background, outlined in light gray, and black text). If you don't click on the link within a few seconds, it times out - apparently. Took me several tries to successfully download it. Unzip/extract the files to your computer or directly to your MicroSDHC memory card. Some say to copy the 4 files in the /system/app folder of the extracted file to the /system/app folder of your Kyros, reboot and you will have the market. The 4 files are 'GoogleServicesFramework.apk', 'MarketUpdater.apk', 'NetworkLocation.apk', and 'Vending.apk'. Some indicated they installed the files rather than simply copy them over. That's the way I did it. I extracted them to my MicroSDHC card, made sure my 7024 was completely off (not just sleeping), and then inserted the card and turned the unit on.

I used the built in file manager to navigate to the directory on the external memory and I proceeded to install the files in this order (truthfully, I don't think it matters):

The Market icon was added and I proceeded to add my gmail account during the initial setup. I made sure the Background Data and Auto-sync settings were checked as mentioned in another post. Seems to work so far on my 7024 as I have installed 4 different things now.

I tried every method on the forum but still no luck. The first time I tried it it worked fine but stopped working. Now everytime I install the apps, as soon as I put in my account info Google services crashes. I've done the factory reset several times but it doesn't help. I did notice that when I do a factory reset it remembers my wifi info and connects when I turn wifi on. So I don't think the reset clears everything and that maybe my issue.

Sent from EVO 4G using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
I just followed the directions listed by rockdawg above. Worked perfectly I now have the Market and have downloaded a game and linked my google account. One minor exception to the above directions. I couldn't figure out how to navigate to the sd card with File manager so I just used the App installer and installed each apk as listed in the above post. There was no mention of installing the 4th file Networklocation.apk So I just copied it to the sd card but did not install it. rebooted after each apk install and she's up and running.

Last edited:

cold_as

May 28, 2011
I just bought my son the 7" Android mid so that he can play angry birds. I have tried for several hours to download google chrome. It says successful download & for me to go to my 'application folder' to open. I have not been able to get to the application folder......can anyone give me a step-by-step on how to get there & get this darn thing working?? I keep getting a message saying that his tablet does not support this...UGH! Starting to wonder if this purchase was a mistake. ; (

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
DDon't know about chrome but angry bird is available in the applib.

Update market install last night. It is workinng. It is the old version and has not updated. Some apps are working fine but others get an error and force cclose. These are apps that work fine on my rooted 7015

Last edited:

chefxenu

May 30, 2011

I followed the same procedure, and now have Android Market working perfectly on my 7024. I've installed several free apps, and one purchased one, all with no problem whatsoever. Thanks rockdawg!

fbuscariolli

Jun 2, 2011

Just working perfect on my Kyros 7024 too! Thanks so much! For those that are not finding the sdcard root on Kyros, at the default file explorer, the first button, like a Card or a Home, just click it, and you will se a folder named extsd, this is the root folder of your sdcard.

mp34me

May 15, 2011

I was also able to get the Market working. Has anyone found the APKs for Calendar and Contacts sync that will install? All the ones I've tried resulted in a "Not Installed" message. I guess the ones I tried were not compatible with this version of GoogleServicesFramework.apk (in the market_update0.zip file).

mp34me

May 15, 2011
I was also able to get the Market working. Has anyone found the APKs for Calendar and Contacts sync that will install? All the ones I've tried resulted in a "Not Installed" message. I guess the ones I tried were not compatible with this version of GoogleServicesFramework.apk (in the market_update0.zip file).

OK - I figured this out. Everything is working - Market (old version), Gmail, Gmail sync, Calendar sync & Contacts sync. I installed the below list of APKs from CyanogenMod 6. Go to the following link:

Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki

Scroll down to the bottom to the Google Apps Version section. Under the HDPI column for CyanogenMod 6 download the zip file from the Mirror link (the download link goes to a site that contains a virus (detected by my Avast)). The zip file is named "gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip"

Grab the following APKs from the zip file and install from your external SD card. I do not think the order matters:

Vending.apk (this is the old market)
MarketUpdater.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
Gmail.apk (once you get into the Market, you will be prompted to install the update)
NetworkLocation.apk (this installed but "my location" is still not working in Google Maps)

Edit June 11 2010:

Make sure to first uninstall the following from previous posts:

1. Vending.apk
2. MarketUpdater.apk
3. GoogleServicesFramework.apk

Also any APK I've listed above (from CyanogenMod 6) that is installed and not from "gapps-hdpi-20101114-signed.zip" should be uninstalled.

Last edited: