Android Market vs. TAB A500

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
An App developer has specifically requested that I remove my bad review. I don't see any way to change or remove a review on the Google Android Market, except for marking it “Spam”. How do I remove or edit it?

There are many “compatible” Apps that just don't work as expected, and most of the time I delete them, no comment. Those are the ones that generally run, but don't fit the screen (tiny app in a corner), require Smartphone keys that the A500 doesn't have, or have bad graphic glitches. If I had to buy something to find out it doesn't work, I may pull no punches in an honest review. I also heap praise on great Apps. Over half of my reviews never actually arrive on the Review pages, or vanish in a few hours.

One issue I have with The Market is that very high ratings are expected for everything. I'd like to know in advance if an App at least works on an A500, and depend on other reviews, good and bad. Yet in many cases, by placing a low rating, I'm rating the shortcomings of the A500, rather than the App itself.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Is anything you said in your review false or purposely misleading? Is any of it due to operator error? (Sorry, have to ask)

If everything is true, and it simply an unbiased but negative review then leave there. Vendors and developers have to be willing to take the good with the bad.

This is why they are called "Reviews" instead of Endorsements or Advertisements

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I think they have made some changes that don't allow you to remove Reviews any more.
You can go back and make another review, but I can't change any that I just put in or ones I put in weeks ago.

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
For all I know, If you used the product (or anything that concrens to the applications) and you have experienced it Good or Bad and then you posted it to that site, that's what you called Review so that Manufacturers, Vendors, Creators and Developers will check back on it (the item that has been reviewed) and see if they really work out so that if it's really has a negative response, the concerned people will modify or make improvements to it.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

sopranosv

Nov 22, 2010
I think that a very important option that the Market should have is the ability filter apps, so we can separate phone ones from tablet ones, then by Android System version, etc...most of the bad reviews I find are related to "it didn't work on my specific device"...maybe it was just not intended to.

I know...not related to the first question, but just wanted to share my thoughts regarding this issue...

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I think that a very important option that the Market should have is the ability filter apps, so we can separate phone ones from tablet ones, then by Android System version, etc...most of the bad reviews I find are related to "it didn't work on my specific device"...maybe it was just not intended to.

I know...not related to the first question, but just wanted to share my thoughts regarding this issue...

It does have that. The market won't let you install anything that won't work on your tablet.

There are ways to outsmart the market, at your peril, but the marker won't show you any app that won't work.
Even the website for the market will warn you if you try to tell it to install an app on your tablet that can't run on it.

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
Is anything you said in your review false or purposely misleading? Is any of it due to operator error? (Sorry, have to ask)

If everything is true, and it simply an unbiased but negative review then leave there. Vendors and developers have to be willing to take the good with the bad.

This is why they are called "Reviews" instead of Endorsements or Advertisements

I was honest and balanced, but didn't sugar-coat it. Most of the reviews are advertisements -- they're 5-stars in awe of the wonders of the App, with nothing specific about the actual App itself. There's a definite requirement in The Market that all "reviews" be great, and you see that statement in many App descriptions. They expect only high reviews, and any problems to be emailed to them. That's not how I roll. If I don't like it, I must keep that fact a secret?! A bunch of fake "5-Star Ratings" has no value.

If it doesn't work specifically to the A500, it may get a publicly bad review from me, and I'll state it's running on "Acer Iconia TAB A500" -- which is listed as being "Compatible". There are many Apps I avoid simply due to costing money while having no reference to the A500 (does it work or not?). AND if it does work fine, I'll place a great review about how well it works on the A500. Simply being able to use it in Landscape mode can add a star to my rating. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ahclem

Jul 25, 2011
It does have that. The market won't let you install anything that won't work on your tablet.

There are many apps that don't work (various levels of wrong), yet show as “compatible”, and can be downloaded. Perhaps they're equally broken on all devices. :p

I'm thinking of making my own list. The Market's "review" system is kind of a joke.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011

There are ways to outsmart the market, at your peril, but the marker won't show you any app that won't work.
Even the website for the market will warn you if you try to tell it to install an app on your tablet that can't run on it.

Icebike,

while what you are saying may be true, I have seen many reviews where the person has dwnlded an app for the tablet (stated in the blurp) then complains it doesn't work on their android phone. The reverse is also true. I mean really how thick can they really be?

I dwnlded some phone apps and I know they may or may not work. Common sense ain't that common.