Android Newbie - Onda V712 Questions

Thestanger

Nov 13, 2012
Hi all,

I have never owned an Android tablet nor have I any experience with the operating system. I am tinkering with the idea of purchasing the Onda V712 because I like the specs and really want to play around with this tablet and Android. I already own a Blackberry Playbook and totally love it, I just want to play with an Android tablet now.

I have read some issues with upgrading to the latest firmware and not being able to access Google Play. Is this still an issue and/or is there an easy fix to the problem?

How does this tablet compare to other Chinese made tablets?

Is the entire Google Play marketplace available?

How steep is the learning curve with an Android tablet?

Thanks,
Bill

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
Hi Bill, i just bought the onda v701 a few weeks back and it is excellent for the price, i did have problems with the Play Store when i first got it, it was installed along with a load of chinese apps but after a day googling have got it running as it should and its great, Play Store works fine and have had no problems with any app i have downloaded. I would advise anyone to buy, the spec you get for the money is outstanding, i think the v712 is the same but better screen and as for android its an easy OS to understand. I have a thread on here for the firmware and wrote a step by step guide on how to install firmware with Play Store working, aswell as removing all the chinese apps. If your happy with a playbook you will be amazed with the android system, it just works so much better and more apps than any system! Go for it... you will find all the help you need on these forums, just ask and we will guide you through it is really straight forward a five minute job, let me no if you get one and i will point you in the right direction. Oh and welcome to the site.

Thestanger

Nov 13, 2012
Thanks for the warm reply. Because of it I have taken the plunge and ordered the V712. I am looking forward to getting my hands on it and playing around. I'll post back once it arrives with my impressions and questions if I have any.

Thanks

Thestanger

Nov 13, 2012
Does the V712 have a mini or micro USB port? How well does the OTG function work? I'd like to plug in a mouse and or an external HDD.

iiDiabolusZz

Nov 9, 2012
Does the V712 have a mini or micro USB port? How well does the OTG function work? I'd like to plug in a mouse and or an external HDD.

A Quote from a seller-

OTG connectivity support for external mobile hard disk, U disk, or even to operate a mouse, keyboard and other equipment.

Heres the full spec-

Product
Onda V712 1.5GHz Dual Core 7 inch IPS 1280×800 with Android 4.0.3 (Android 4.1 Jelly Bean coming soon!) 16GB HDMI Dual Camera with 300M Max Wifi technology

CPU
Amlogic 8726-MX,Cortex-A9 Dual Core,1.5GHz X2 = 3GHz
OS
Android 4.0.3 (Android 4.1 Jelly Bean coming soon!)
Memory
1GB DDR3 RAM,16GB Nandflash Support up to 32GB via micro SD card
Screen
7 inch 5 Points IPS Capacitive Multitouch
Resolution: 1280*800 (Super HD Resolution)
Audio
Stereo Speaker
3.5mm headphone jack
Supports:
MP1,MP2,MP3,WMA,OGG,APE,FLAC,WAV,AC3,AAC,AMR,DTS,RA,M4A
Video
1080P,H.264,VC-1,MPEG-2,MPEG4,XviD/DivX,Real 8910,AVI,RM,etc.
Video OUT: HDMI
Real-time Video decoder
Features and highlights

• Dual Core,Cortex-A9
  • Android 4.0
  • 16GB Nandflash
  • Gsensor
  • WiFi 802.11 b/g/n (300M Max Wifi technology)
  • Support extra 3G dongle and Ethernet
  • HDMI port
  • Micro USB2.0/OTG port
  • SKYPE/MSN/QQ
  • Support U disk,mouse,keyboard
  • Multilanguage support
  • Excellent Ebook reader
  • Weather on line
  • Web Browser
  • 3D Games Support
  • Front VGA, 2.0MP back
  • HTML5
  • Picture format:pG,JPEG,BMP,GIF,PNG,JFIF
  • 197*123*9.8 mm, 320g Super lightweight and thin make this the ultimate portable device.
Battery
Built-in battery 3500mAh 6-8 Hours
Camera
Dual Cameras Front VGA, 2.0MP Back
Package
Content

• Onda V712 Dual Core
  • Power adapter
  • USB Cable
  • User Manual

Last edited:

Thestanger

Nov 13, 2012
Yeah I have read those specs multiple times but in every picture I have seen it looks like a mini USB port and not a micro USB as per the specs. Was hoping someone who had one in their hands could confirm for me.