Android on ACER ICONIA w500?

latif99

Jun 12, 2011
Has anyone tried tpo install Android on Acer ICONIA W500. It comes with Windows 7 and after I saw the Android version of that (Acer ICONIA A500), I am in love with the Android.
Anyone knows how can I install Android on Acer? Whcih version? Where to download it from?

Thanks

PeteDee

May 21, 2011
No you can't, at least for now, different hardware, A500 uses a Tegra2 and the W500 uses an AMD CPU.

Pete

emvbase

Jan 24, 2011
Hey guys, anyone with one iconia W500 could run a test with the Android 2.2 found at Android-x86 - Porting Android to x86 ?

The org adapt Android to run on netbooks, notebooks and desktops.
Iconia W500, basically, is a netbook x86 running windows.

Could anyone try to boot using USB, running tests (graphics, velocity, wi-fi connection, market...) and write here?

No you can't, at least for now, different hardware, A500 uses a Tegra2 and the W500 uses an AMD CPU.

Pete

eldorand

Apr 28, 2011
Hey guys, anyone with one iconia W500 could run a test with the Android 2.2 found at Android-x86 - Porting Android to x86 ?

The org adapt Android to run on netbooks, notebooks and desktops.
Iconia W500, basically, is a netbook x86 running windows.

Could anyone try to boot using USB, running tests (graphics, velocity, wi-fi connection, market...) and write here?

i have done this yesterday it works on the w500 but doesn't recognize the touchscreen etc but is a decent os to run and not to laggy from the usb stick but i dont think its ready to be installed yet permantly

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
General question on the W500:

Is this a normal windows 7 device (like the HP Slate ) that run a normal 32bit Intel compatible version of windows or is is more like a WinMo 7 phone?

eldorand

Apr 28, 2011
its a full window 7 touch tablet....... only problem is that windows makes a crappy touch OS better off going with the android 3.0 version tablet A500.
i scrapped windows and loaded Fedora 15 Linux and love it but it doesn't do multi touch yet.

eldorand

Apr 28, 2011
linux cant support multi touch screens yet at best they recognize single point touch my tablet i have installed fedora 15 nd use the eekboard as my on screen keyboard its not that good but works better the any other out there currently.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
its a full window 7 touch tablet....... only problem is that windows makes a crappy touch OS better off going with the android 3.0 version tablet A500.

Actually, the question was about the processor. I wanted to know if its a Intel/amd instructions set or if its some sort of ARM processor instruction set. Basically if you can download and run any windows standard x86 .EXE file is what I'm looking for.

I have a windows (Atom processor - fully x86 compatible) Windows 7 tablet from HP (Slate 500), and I disagree with your crappy touch OS assessment. I think HP and Microsoft did an excellent of making full blown Windows 7 run on this small device.

Its intuitive, responsive, and the ability to run standard windows apps means that it has a lot of business application potential. Plus the learning curve is zero. When you have a bunch of software already written for the factory floor, or Doctor's office, or inventory management, and all that stuff runs on windows, it makes no sense to go hire programmers to re-write the whole thing for Andorid or IOS.

The biggest problem I see is that the Slate is just a tad too small, and I was looking for something around the Ten Inch size. That's why I was wondering if the W500 could run standard windows .exe files of if it had an ARM processor.

eldorand

Apr 28, 2011
yes it can run any windows programs from any normal ordinary software company....

Last edited:

mickeyjun

Dec 19, 2011
i have done this yesterday it works on the w500 but doesn't recognize the touchscreen etc but is a decent os to run and not to laggy from the usb stick but i dont think its ready to be installed yet permantly

I've been trying to get this accomplished for awhile now. Please tell me the procedure to set up the SD card. I used unetbootin to create SD image. But i doesn't boot properly. The SD card was formatted FAT32. I also tried FAT, it when a bit further. but no luck. Android x86 now has ICS (alpha). The ACER W500 would be the test tablet, having the best of both worlds.

joshclarke90

Dec 18, 2011
Haha I've been through this problem. I bought a Windows tablet out of excitement and ended up purchasing an Android tablet. There's something so special about Google's OS.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
Because of AMD versus Tegra cores, it not a good option. The AMD cpu is also not as cut out for 3d graphics. Also Acer will have a Tegra 3 Nvidia CPu/GPU combo soon. You can emulate older android OS but not fully, nor smoothly.

AMD however is combining a ATI CPU/GPU better combo based on their combined specs, which will be designed for mobile 7 specifically and can change things.

I just liek the ease of Android, and I can use a mouse/Keyboard with the acer fine.

Last edited:

mickeyjun

Dec 19, 2011
AHA! I got it to work, Acer W500 running both windows7 and Android 4.0.3. - the best of both worlds. There are a few issues, but I think most of these issues will/can be resolved once the video card conflict is resolved. Here's a quick list of issues: video flickers from time to time, camera force closes, many high quality graphics applications and games do not open, and the screen becomes unreadable after the unit wakes up from sleep. Besides these, the android is working great: the wifi is stable, multi-touch screen is very responsive (upto 4 points), sound, and multi-tasking.