Android slows down.

Mloyt

Apr 9, 2012
I have had my Toshiba Thrive for about 2 months. Periodically I feel it slows down or stops. I check to see how many "programs" I have going or open. There seems to be quite a few. How do I close them down like I do a windows application or can I? If I shut off the tablet and restart it then it appears to run normally. Can anyone help with suggestions?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
It looks like you should either be running Honeycomb or ICS. Both have built in task manager so you shouldn't have to do anything. The OS will clear apps as necessary. If you do want to close apps you are not using though you can do that by touching the recent apps icon in the lower left corner (looks like a few stacked pages). Then simply slide the app you don't want off to the side to close them.

You may have a different issue though. It is possible that you have a rouge app that isn't closing when it should and that is why it is not automatically being taken care of by the system. To check this you can go into Settings>Battery to see which app might be running a lot and Settings>Apps and see which apps are currently running and how much memory they are using. If you see one that is high in both places you may want to try uninstalling it and see if things get better.

You can also get system monitoring apps that will tell you if any apps are running wild. I don't recommend using these as a task killer since Android should do that for you but they can help you track down rogue apps that you might need to uninstall.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
My friend JP has pretty well covered the subject for you Mloyt. The only thing left for me to say is welcome to the forum. Also, if you'd like an app to "help you track down rogue apps that you might need to uninstall" I'd recommend getting Watchdog. I'm using it on my tablet and it's free on Amazon and the Android Market. Enjoy your tablet and the forum!

Amazon.com: Watchdog Task Manager Lite: Appstore for Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS56b211dC53YXRjaGRvZ2xpdGUiXQ..