Android support for USB to ethernet interface.

Discussion in 'Android Tablet Q&A' started by JonsZX2SR, Jun 15, 2012.

1. JonsZX2SR

JonsZX2SR Junior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Coby Kyros 1126; Kyros 8042; Acer Iconia A500
    Is anyone aware of support for USB to ethernet adaptors for situations where an ethernet port is available but WiFi is not available or unreliable ?? I occasionally carry a portable ethernet to WiFi hub for situations like this but think a direct connection might be possible.

I have both an Acer A500 and a Coby MID 1126 with full powered ethernet ports. Both are running ICS 4.0.3 (although the MID1126 originally had GB 2.3.3) The USB port on each recognize various devices: 2.4 GHz wireless mouse dongle, USM wired mouse, 4-1 hub, even a small powered external HD (if formatted with a FAT32 partition.) Things that don't work or USB Bluetooth dongle and USB to ethernet hubs. I assume this is because the devices are not supported and drivers are not availble for Android.

In the past I've used a USB to ethernet device (under Win2000, XP or Win7) to connect a laptop or desktop to a wired network in cases where the internal ethernet port was lacking or not working. It would seem this would be a nice device to have to connect a tablet in cases where a wired etehrnet connections but WiFi in unavailable.

Is anyone aware of support for a wired ethernet interface for an android tablet ??

Thanks.
  2. leeshor

leeshor Super Moderator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    Transformer TF700
    There are a few USB - Ethernet devices out there but support is iffy depending on the tablet. A surefire way to get wired Ethernet on your Android tablet is to get a portable WiFi router that also will allow the network cable to attache thus converting the WiFi to wired 2 of these portable router that come to mind are the ASUS WL-330N3G and the TP-Link TL-WR202N Nano router.