Android Tablets Chew 30% Out of iPad's Marketshare

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
tablet_Andoid_strategy_analytics.png

A new study from Strategy Analytics indicates that Android tablets have finally started to take a bite out of the fruit of the iPad. According to their numbers, Apple's iPad shipments fell sharply during Quarter 2, and Android Tablets were the reason behind it. Android tabs rose from a paltry 2.9% marketshare during the 1st quarter, to a whopping 30.1% during the second quarter. Contrast that with the iPad that went from 94.3% marketshare in Q1 down to 61.3% in Q2, and you can see directly where 'Andy' is eating his snacks.

Technically, Apple has still sold over twice as many iPads than Google has Android Tablets, at 9.3 Million to 4.6 Million respectively; however, that's because it was Apple's market to begin with, and their market to lose, since they pioneered it in the first place. It has to be alarming to Steve Jobs and Co. that Android was able to make such a dramatic jump in such a short amount of time. And, it's only going to get worse, since Amazon plans to get into the tablet market in a big way later this year.

Here's a quote from Neil Mawston, director at Strategy Analytics,
If Amazon decides to enter the Android tablet category later this year, that will bring fresh excitement and buzz to the Android community, but Amazon will need to deliver a truly standout offering if it really wants to make headway against the popular iPad.
Indeed, if Amazon can earn the respect of Android lovers and, more importantly, regular consumers, then we could easily see Android tablets overtake the iPad as early as next year.

Source: CNet

Jun 29, 2011
I believe marketing will have to be more involved as well. Right now many isheep and isheep wannabes are under the impression that Android is in trouble due to all the lawsuits, don't think they need Flash content because "it is outdated and useless" and ios5 is the cure for cancer
If Amazon models their tablets the way they do their other business models I truly believe they will knock a chunk from every other tablet makers armor and Apples answer will be to try to sue them into submission rather than adapt to customer demands. The isheep will still style for less and be thankful that they can stay asleep.

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

beastman

May 8, 2011
Staples had a coupon for $100 off tablet. Expires the end of month.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
Not like apple gives a rats arse that Android is 30% of the market share. Yes those numbers look impressive if you write a column about it...however look at the other number. From 3.3 to 9.3 million units. That's a growth of 6million units. 200% increase in gross turnover.

A truer indication would be Q2 2012 to see if Android has really made a dent in anything.

antoniodlp

Jul 7, 2011
It is also probably a new slice of the market created by android tablets for users who wouldn't get an iPad anyway either because of price or plain not liking Apple products.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
It is also probably a new slice of the market created by android tablets for users who wouldn't get an iPad anyway either because of price or plain not liking Apple products.

That's me in a nutshell. Only apple thing I own is a 2nd gen ipod

cfbrew2

Jul 22, 2011
Considering the media is pimping all thing Apple this is impressive numbers. It shows that there are some free thinker out there. The growth in market share of tablets will be just like smart phones.