Android: ver 5.0 Jelly Bean

FanNo301

Oct 15, 2011
When do we get the upgrade? Also waiting for 3.0 Honeycomb and 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich!!! Vizio, your loyal and faithful users/owners are patiently waiting! Please respond...

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
JellyBean is not even out to the devs yet. It will be available for dev kits MAYBE sometime in April, but I would not expect general release until late summer or fall at the earliest.

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
My guess would be no earlier then spring 2013 before release by vizio. Look how long it is taking for Honeycomb, let alone ICS since they were released. If they treat the VTab like they do their TVs, they might stop support after a year and only update the future models if they are released.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
I fully do not expect the 1008 to get ICS. I'm beginning to doubt we will get honeycomb, and Vizios silence about either tablet has put me off on buying any further Vizio products.
If they do not want to give their customers accurate information or information period about updates or products they should not say anything about them until they are ready to ship.
Very disappointed with Vizio. And after I sell my Kindle Fire I will be looking to sell my Vtab. Nothing wrong with it. I just don't like supporting companies that treat the customers that keep them in business like they are not there or are not important.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk

FanNo301

Oct 15, 2011
Now that we have 3.2 Honeycomb, do we really want 4.x ICS? What are the advantages of JB or KLP??? Love this tablet... except for the Skype upsidedown camera thing...

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
JB and KLP don't even exist, so don't even think about them. Those are just the speculated names that might start with those letters when Google starts working on future versions of Android. Yes, ICS is much better from the ground up the whole OS is just more refined, runs smoother and faster and is better implemented than Honeycomb. It would definitely be a worthwhile upgrade.

Deandec

Nov 25, 2011
Statistics I read elsewhere indicate Vizio Tab is in the top 5% of Android Users by introducing the Honeycomb update. So far, I like it.

ICS is primarily for Telephones so perhaps no great advantage for the VTAB?

As of February 2012:
4.0.x Ice Cream Sandwich14-151.0%
3.x.x Honeycomb11-133.4%
2.3.x Gingerbread9-1058.6%
2.2 Froyo827.8%
2.0, 2.1 Eclair77.6%
1.6 Donut41.0%
1.5 Cupcake30.6%

FanNo301

Oct 15, 2011
I'm happy with Honeycomb, once someone told me how to access the SD memory. Adapting to the OS/EULA's; but we are used to that! Gotta upgrade to that whole N speed, channel bonding thing...

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
ICS is primarily for Telephones so perhaps no great advantage for the VTAB?

This is not correct, ICS is for tablets and phones. It is the basis for Android going forward that will accommodate both. Honeycomb was a stop gap by Google to address tablet specific needs. Pre-Honeycomb builds were for phones only. ICS integrates both tablet and phone needs and will run equally well for tablets phones. This combination only makes sense otherwise Google would have to maintain two flavors of Android, one for tablets and one for phones.