AndroLinux

Zbika

Aug 7, 2011
Hello,

I'm thinking about attempting to run ubuntu on my 1024. I had wanted to wait until we could get a working restore ROM, but seeing as how Coby has decided to suck, I'm probably just going to hope for the best and flash the Gingerbread rip if something goes horribly wrong.

I'm just curious if anyone has tried this? It requires a kernal with Loop device support and I haven't been able to find any documentation on that for these.

wicced247

Jul 23, 2011
Hello,

I'm thinking about attempting to run ubuntu on my 1024. I had wanted to wait until we could get a working restore ROM, but seeing as how Coby has decided to suck, I'm probably just going to hope for the best and flash the Gingerbread rip if something goes horribly wrong.

I'm just curious if anyone has tried this? It requires a kernal with Loop device support and I haven't been able to find any documentation on that for these.

Would love to do it too but also have not found a safe way. Will be following up on ur progress though and hope it turns out great as i am an Ubuntu lover :)

Sent from my Coby Kryos MID7024 not-rooted with 16gb microSD

Zbika

Aug 7, 2011
I was originally going to try the instructions on AndroLinux.com - Marriage of Android and Linux!; but I just found a post from last month where a guy with a 7022 was able to do it from this set of instructions: [HOWTO] All-in-one solution for Ubuntu 10.10 Linux on Android - xda-developers guess I'll try the ones from XDA and see what happens. I still have to get rooted and free time is a commodity.

EDIT: Root is sticking, used http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-2/17578-kyros-mid1024-arrived-today.html#post109913

Getting USB drivers that worked was a pain for some reason, ended up using generic PDAnet drivers.
Starting download of ubuntu for android image, hopefully I'll be able to work on it during the work week.

Last edited:

Zbika

Aug 7, 2011
$UbuntuAndroid.jpg

It worked. Runs really smooth, actually.
Had no issues with getting it setup, it literally took 3 minutes after the file was transferred to my extsd.

Everything I've tried works. Gimp, Open office, browsing the web, etc. Kind of makes me wish I could do a native install.

Issues:
Opens in 800x600(whereas screen rez is 1024x600) so there is black space on the left side of the screen. I think there is a way to fix this.

Secondly, I'm using androidVNC and the onscreen keyboard function could be better. I tried pocketcloud, but it crashed without opening, I'll have to fiddle with that as well.

EDIT: also, sound doesn't work due to VNC : /

wicced247

Jul 23, 2011
Sounds great and thanks for the link. I have been trying to root my mid7024 but i really don't want to brick it. Will be visiting those links u posted though and i just might give it a shot :)

thatguruguy

Jul 15, 2011
I'm the guy who got Ubuntu 10.10 working on his Kyros MID7022. I didn't like the look and feel of the package you can get from the xda-developers thread, so I've changed it somewhat, by setting up a new wallpaper, getting rid of most of the icons from the desktop, moving the bottom panel to the top, and creating a launcher on the left which auto-hides when not in use.

Here's the desktop when the left panel is hidden:
$ubudroid-nopanel.jpg

... and here's the desktop with the panel visible:
$ubudroid-panel.jpg

To change the resolution of the desktop:
Using leafpad, open the file /root/init.sh
The second line of the file reads:
Code:
RESOLUTION=800x600
Simply change that to correct setting for your device. For instance, if your tablet runs at 1024x600, you'd change it to:
Code:
RESOLUTION=1024x600

I'm still trying to figure out how to get sound up and running, as well as how to get Ubuntu 11.04 on my tablet.

wicced247

Jul 23, 2011
it looks great and nice work i give u big props on your achievement. guess i really need to sit down and root my mid7024 and put Ubuntu on my tablet :)

Zbika

Aug 7, 2011
I'm the guy who got Ubuntu 10.10 working on his Kyros MID7022. I didn't like the look and feel of the package you can get from the xda-developers thread, so I've changed it somewhat, by setting up a new wallpaper, getting rid of most of the icons from the desktop, moving the bottom panel to the top, and creating a launcher on the left which auto-hides when not in use.

Here's the desktop when the left panel is hidden:
View attachment 3449

... and here's the desktop with the panel visible:
View attachment 3450

To change the resolution of the desktop:
Using leafpad, open the file /root/init.sh
The second line of the file reads:
Code:
RESOLUTION=800x600
Simply change that to correct setting for your device. For instance, if your tablet runs at 1024x600, you'd change it to:
Code:
RESOLUTION=1024x600

I'm still trying to figure out how to get sound up and running, as well as how to get Ubuntu 11.04 on my tablet.

Well, I changed it to 1024x600 and then restarted VNC and Term. It looks like ubuntu starts, but VNC won't connect.
I guess I'll try to edit it manually when I get out of work.

Zbika

Aug 7, 2011
I'm having trouble finding this file in the file system. I'm assuming it is the 'init' in the '/' directory, but that one opens with just like one line when I go through leafpad in a linux environment.
I'm fairly certain I screwed it up, I think I put 1024X600 instead of a lowercase x. If you would be able to attach yours on here so I can replace mine, that would be great. At this point I can't connect through VNC.

wicced247

Jul 23, 2011
Im kinda sad i have to root to run Ubuntu... i wonder if i would be able to run pocket Ubuntu (usb version)?

Sent from my Coby Kryos MID7024 not-rooted with 16gb microSD

thatguruguy

Jul 15, 2011
I'm having trouble finding this file in the file system. I'm assuming it is the 'init' in the '/' directory, but that one opens with just like one line when I go through leafpad in a linux environment.

No, it's the file entitled "init.sh" in the directory entitled "root", as I mentioned.

I'm fairly certain I screwed it up, I think I put 1024X600 instead of a lowercase x. If you would be able to attach yours on here so I can replace mine, that would be great. At this point I can't connect through VNC.

Yes, it needs to be exactly as I posted it. Linux is case-sensitive. Here's the entire init.sh file for your settings, which needs to be in the directory entitled "root" in the ubuntu image:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
RESOLUTION=1024x600
###########################################
# Tidy up previous LXDE and DBUS sessions #
rm /tmp/.X* > /dev/null 2>&1
rm /tmp/.X11-unix/X* > /dev/null 2>&1
rm /root/.vnc/localhost* > /dev/null 2>&1
rm /var/run/dbus/pid > /dev/null 2>&1

############################################################
# enable workaround for upstart dependent installs         #
# in chroot'd environment. this allows certain packages    #
# that use upstart start/stop to not fail on install.      #
# this means they will have to be launched manually though #
dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /sbin/initctl > /dev/null 2>&1
ln -s /bin/true /sbin/initctl > /dev/null 2>&1

###############################################
# start vnc server with given resolution and  #
# DBUS server, (and optionally an SSH server) #
vncserver :0 -geometry $RESOLUTION
dbus-daemon --system --fork > /dev/null 2>&1
/etc/init.d/ssh start

echo
echo "If you see the message 'New 'X' Desktop is localhost:0' then you are ready to VNC into your ubuntu OS.."
echo
echo "From your android device, login using address: localhost, port: 5900 and password 'ubuntu'. If VNC'ing from a different machine on the same network as the android device use the 1st address below:"
##########################################
# Output IP address of android device    #
ifconfig | grep "inet addr"

echo
echo "If using androidVNC, change the 'Color Format' setting to 24-bit colour, and once you've VNC'd in, change the 'input mode' to touchpad (in settings) - and remember you can pinch to zoom. PocketCloud VNC is also a highly recommended android VNC client."

echo
echo "To shut down the VNC server and exit the ubuntu environment, just enter 'exit' at this terminal - and WAIT for all shutdown routines to finish!"
echo

###############################################################
# Spawn and interactive shell - this effectively halts script #
# execution until the spawning shell is exited (i.e. you want #
# to shut down vncserver and exit the ubuntu environment)     #
/bin/bash -i

#########################################
# Disable upstart workaround and     #
# kill VNC server (and optionally SSH)  #
vncserver -kill :0
/etc/init.d/ssh stop

Do you know how to mount the image on your computer and chroot into it?

Zbika

Aug 7, 2011
No, it's the file entitled "init.sh" in the directory entitled "root", as I mentioned.

Yes, it needs to be exactly as I posted it. Linux is case-sensitive. Here's the entire init.sh file for your settings, which needs to be in the directory entitled "root" in the ubuntu image:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
RESOLUTION=1024x600
# Tidy up previous LXDE and DBUS sessions #
rm /tmp/.X* > /dev/null 2>&1
rm /tmp/.X11-unix/X* > /dev/null 2>&1
rm /root/.vnc/localhost* > /dev/null 2>&1
rm /var/run/dbus/pid > /dev/null 2>&1

# enable workaround for upstart dependent installs         #
# in chroot'd environment. this allows certain packages    #
# that use upstart start/stop to not fail on install.      #
# this means they will have to be launched manually though #
dpkg-divert --local --rename --add /sbin/initctl > /dev/null 2>&1
ln -s /bin/true /sbin/initctl > /dev/null 2>&1

# start vnc server with given resolution and  #
# DBUS server, (and optionally an SSH server) #
vncserver :0 -geometry $RESOLUTION
dbus-daemon --system --fork > /dev/null 2>&1
/etc/init.d/ssh start

echo
echo "If you see the message 'New 'X' Desktop is localhost:0' then you are ready to VNC into your ubuntu OS.."
echo
echo "From your android device, login using address: localhost, port: 5900 and password 'ubuntu'. If VNC'ing from a different machine on the same network as the android device use the 1st address below:"
# Output IP address of android device    #
ifconfig | grep "inet addr"

echo
echo "If using androidVNC, change the 'Color Format' setting to 24-bit colour, and once you've VNC'd in, change the 'input mode' to touchpad (in settings) - and remember you can pinch to zoom. PocketCloud VNC is also a highly recommended android VNC client."

echo
echo "To shut down the VNC server and exit the ubuntu environment, just enter 'exit' at this terminal - and WAIT for all shutdown routines to finish!"
echo

# Spawn and interactive shell - this effectively halts script #
# execution until the spawning shell is exited (i.e. you want #
# to shut down vncserver and exit the ubuntu environment)     #
/bin/bash -i

# Disable upstart workaround and     #
# kill VNC server (and optionally SSH)  #
vncserver -kill :0
/etc/init.d/ssh stop

Do you know how to mount the image on your computer and chroot into it?

Thanks for the response, I was extremely sleep deprived when I going through this, so it didn't occur to me that the init.sh was within the image. After rest was taken, I just replaced the img file on my sd with the original and then was able to VNC in and correctly edit the file.

It's working perfectly now. I'm actually really happy with how well it works.

I don't know what the possibilities are, but I'm going to do some research about using an external USB keyboard. I'd honestly prefer to run native ubuntu on my tablet.