Another Can You Recommend A Tablet Thread

Jon_M

Nov 5, 2012
Hey guys. So I recently joined the threads maybe two or three months ago when I purchased my first tablet. It was an IRULU 10.1" tablet. Well, in the 3 short months I had the device it has completely died. Won't power on or anything. Lesson learned I guess right? So I'm not here to talk about that though. I'm looking to purchase a new, NAME BRAND , quality tablet.

I've been doing a lot of research myself and just wanted to get some advice from long time or veteran tablet users.

First I think I should give you a bit of information on the previous tablet and what I did with it. First and foremost, COMICS! I fell in love with being able to read my cbr files in bed and not having to sit at my desktop. I also really enjoyed using my google play to play my music on the go, and liked to transfer my movies onto the tablet and play them in the living room while I was doing video games or something. I also used this a lot to browse the internet, forums, strategy guides, etc. while playing my video games since my TV would be occupied. I also enjoyed some light gaming like Final Fantasy, Angry Birds, and Stupid Zombies.

So here's what I've come up with so far. The popular name brands I've looked into like the Google Nexus, Kindle Fire, and Nook HD, all seem to be universally 7". Now I'm super scared that my comics won't be as viewable to myself as they were with the 10.1" screen. However looking at a co workers a while back I noticed the screen really didn't look much different in size and readability at all. Maybe I'm just being neurotic? One thing I loved about my old tablet was that I downloaded a c reader and could set the zoom in on the volume up or down on the side of the device. Well, I've noticed a lot of those devices don't have volume controls.

Also transferability is a major issue for me. This old tablet had a usb 2.0 (full size) AND a micro sd port. I used my thumb drive to transfer my cbr files, movies, etc over. Now I notice devices such as the Kindle Fire, and Google Nexus don't have EITHER of these ports? I find this crazy. I mean I buy a cheapo off ebay that has these ports, yet the popular name brand devices don't include these? I find the usb 2.0 extremely convenient since usb 2.0 is practically a universal port for portable storage now a days.

Also I did notice while looking at a co workers Kindle Fire that their screen simply responded and moved 100x faster than the IRULU. I'm assuming this is because of the CPU installed. So I'd like to be able to upgrade to one of the devices that moves smooth and seamlessly, unlike the IRULU. However from reading reviews I think all these popular devices like the Kindle Fire, ASUS Transformer, etc will fit in that criteria.

While researching the Kindle I noticed it doesn't read cbr files. So I think that one might be out of the question as I don't want to have to deal with converting every comic over before I can transfer it over.

So I tend to rant sometimes and realize everyone might not want to read all my thoughts on my old one, and getting a new one, just to recommend a new tablet. So I'm going to quickly summarize what I'm looking for in this new tablet.

-I don't want the lag/sluggish navigation that my old IRULU had.

-My old IRULU only had a camera facing myself. I'd like to have one of the tablets with one on each end. Plus my old one didn't have a flash and couldn't do pics in dark areas. I'd like one with a flash.

-Transferability. I would ideally prefer usb 2.0 (regular size). However it has to have something besides just a data transfer cable for additional storage. Now if I can find one I like with maybe just the sd card port and not usb, I guess I can purchase like a 32gb sd card and live w/ not having the usb capability. However that means I'd limit myself to never being able to use one of those neat keyboards.

-has to be able to read my cbr files. That is an absolute must.

-I think from researching I might have to deal with a 7" screen as opposed to my 10.1" screen. I just hope I'll be able to read my comics as clearly and easily as I could on the 10.1". Maybe someone that has used both screens can comment.

-Screen in the sun. I tried reading my tablet outside once and realized the screen was almost impossible to see even though it was very overcast and sun wasn't even out. I thought this was ALL tablets but read something while researching that let me to believe maybe it was just my old tablet. So it'd be nice to be able to read/view outside if I could.

-Ideally, I'd like to stay under 150$. But I've looked at "brand new" Transformers online that were simply opened which is why they're "brand new" with quotes for about 200$ exactly. If I need to I can spend up to 200$. I liked the selling range of the Kindle but with no extra storage and cbr support it's sorta out of the question.

Any advice would be very much appreciated guys and thanks for taking the time to read. Sorry I made the thread so long. I tend to ramble! :rolleyes:

Jon_M

Nov 5, 2012
Apparently these threads aren't as populated as I thought... Well, if there is anyone out there. I think I've settled on an ASUS Transformer TF101.

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
You should check out a used Toshiba Thrive 10.1 if you are looking for full size ports. Its a tegra 2 tab with full usb, full hdmi, and a full size sd card slot. It also has a user replaceable battery. It has a front and back camera, but no flash. The penalty for all these port options is that the tab is pretty thick. Theres a lot of information on the Thrive at our sister site www.thriveforums.org. At one sale a day i know the 16gb versions go for around 170 when they have some available.

Cheers!

Sent from my Thrive using Tapatalk 2

Jon_M

Nov 5, 2012
Hey there is life out there! j/k! :D

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. Thickness isn't really a big deal to me. While looking at the profile of other tablet during video reviews they look incredibly thin. Which leads me to believe my IRULU would have been considered thick. And if so? Cool, I'm used to that thickness already. The grip on the back looks wonderful for holding to read comics. However I do have a nice 10" flip cover that I bought for my old one that has a prop that I can stand it up for for movies. Hopefully I can use that same flip case/cover.

So comparing these two to each other. Tranformer vs thrive. Will I be able to view my cbr files after dling a simple comic reading app from google play like I could my IRULU? On either? Also are there any huge differences between the two that would be worth pointing out besides the ports? I can find them both around 170-200$ on ebay (among other sites) so now I just need to determine which one is better fit for my needs. I do love the keyboard dock thing for the transformer. Not that I would immediately buy it, I'd like to have that option. Does the thrive have a similar option or no? Are they both going to have super fast reaction time like in the video I watched for the thrive?

Anything you could possibly think of that would factor in that one has that the other doesn't?

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Here is a screenshot of the apps in the market when I do a search for "cbr reader" from my TF101:

DMkQ3Wm.png

Should be no issue, however I will say the TF101 has a squarish bezel, and for long term holding it can get a bit rough on your hands unless you have it in a case.

Not sure how the thrive compares to it as far as edges.

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
The reaction times for both tablets should be very similar, both have tegra 2 processors. The battery life should also be similar, until you attach the tf101 keyboard which adds more battery life. The thrive charges from 0 to 100 percent in about 2 hours cause of the netbook like power adaptor. The thrive has the user replaceable battery, however you can only charge an addtional battery in the thrive. Its a tough choice between the two as the tf101 with the keyboard dock has a similar port configuration. The thrive supports usb and bluetooth keyboards, but not a dock like the transformer series. I would weigh the importance of the keyboard dock versus your needs. My market looks like the shot Frederico posted, so it looks like your comic reading capabilities would be the same. I do have my thrive configured to look like an a500 to the play store though so that could be affecting what I'm seeing in the play store for comic readers (easy mod btw if needed). As for holding, most people seem to like holding it, the rounded back and thickness help toward comfort.

In summary, tf101 - micro hdmi, micro sd, micro usb. With dock - full sd, more battery, full sd (basing this off of my knowledge of the tf300, but I think its the same)

Thrive - full hdmi, full sd, full usb, mini usb. User replaceable battery.

Sent from my Thrive

Last edited:

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
One other thing to consider, Toshiba made a 3gb partition for apps and then did a software mod to use usb storage space for apps. Similar to how gingerbread was done. I dont know why they did it this way, it hasnt been a problem for me and I have quite a few apps (73 in installed app list) and half of my 3gb is used. If youre an avid app collector it may be a problem. I doubt the transformer has this limitation.

Sent from my Thrive

Last edited:

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
The TF101 does not have a micro USB connector on it, you can get a USB host adapter for the tablet itself.

The only difference between the TF101 and TF300 dock, the TF101 has TWO full sized USB ports (you can attach 2 USB drives and transfer files form one to the other) and the TF300 only has one USB.

Jon_M

Nov 5, 2012
Here is a screenshot of the apps in the market when I do a search for "cbr reader" from my TF101:

DMkQ3Wm.png

Should be no issue, however I will say the TF101 has a squarish bezel, and for long term holding it can get a bit rough on your hands unless you have it in a case.

Not sure how the thrive compares to it as far as edges.

That "A Comic Viewer" is the one I like to use so shouldn't have any problems there. That's good to know.

The reaction times for both tablets should be very similar, both have tegra 2 processors. The battery life should also be similar, until you attach the tf101 keyboard which adds more battery life. The thrive charges from 0 to 100 percent in about 2 hours cause of the netbook like power adaptor. The thrive has the user replaceable battery, however you can only charge an addtional battery in the thrive. Its a tough choice between the two as the tf101 with the keyboard dock has a similar port configuration. The thrive supports usb and bluetooth keyboards, but not a dock like the transformer series. I would weigh the importance of the keyboard dock versus your needs. My market looks like the shot Frederico posted, so it looks like your comic reading capabilities would be the same. I do have my thrive configured to look like an a500 to the play store though so that could be affecting what I'm seeing in the play store for comic readers (easy mod btw if needed). As for holding, most people seem to like holding it, the rounded back and thickness help toward comfort.

In summary, tf101 - micro hdmi, micro sd, micro usb. With dock - full sd, more battery, full sd (basing this off of my knowledge of the tf300, but I think its the same)

Thrive - full hdmi, full sd, full usb, mini usb. User replaceable battery.

Sent from my Thrive

You said "the thrive has the user replaceable battery, however you can only charge an additional battery in the thrive." I'm a bit confused now... So... If I have two batteries I can be using one for juice while not plugged in and charging the second one?... I feel you're right about weighing the importance of the keyboard dock. I really 100% don't "need" it by any means and it's not essential to my tablet uses. But it might be in the future? Who knows? I just want to have that option available. But from what you are telling me, just because I don't have the Transformer dock with the thrive, doesn't mean I don't have the option. There are bluetooth keyboards that I could always use for the thrive if I choose to ever need one right?

One other thing to consider, Toshiba made a 3gb partition for apps and then did a software mod to use usb storage space for apps. Similar to how gingerbread was done. I dont know why they did it this way, it hasnt been a problem for me and I have quite a few apps (73 in installed app list) and half of my 3gb is used. If youre an avid app collector it may be a problem. I doubt the transformer has this limitation.

Sent from my Thrive

That shouldn't factor into my decision at all. I'm sorta OCD and the opposite of an app collector. I'll see 14 on my tablet and go "This is crazy I have too many apps I don't use" and start deleting the ones I don't really use.

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
You said "the thrive has the user replaceable battery, however you can only charge an additional battery in the thrive." I'm a bit confused now... So... If I have two batteries I can be using one for juice while not plugged in and charging the second one? [End QUOTE]

You have to charge the battery in the thrive. So to use two fully charged batteries, you have to plan ahead. Charge the first one, swap to the second and charge that one. No external charger is currently available.

I feel you're right about weighing the importance of the keyboard dock. I really 100% don't "need" it by any means and it's not essential to my tablet uses. But it might be in the future? Who knows? I just want to have that option available. But from what you are telling me, just because I don't have the Transformer dock with the thrive, doesn't mean I don't have the option. There are bluetooth keyboards that I could always use for the thrive if I choose to ever need one right? [End QUOTE]

Yep, or just a plain usb keyboard will work too. There is a case that has a usb keyboard sewn into it.

The transformer requires the dock to have certain ports, so if you need those ports you have to have the dock. You do get extra battery life though. The thrive always has all its full size ports.

Sent from my Thrive

Last edited:

Jon_M

Nov 5, 2012
I really couldn't find much information on that NOVA tragidy. After having that IRULU die on me after 3 short months and the seller refusing to respond to my phone and email contact I'm pretty scared of touching ANYTHING without a reputable name on it like Toshiba or ASUS.

That being said I decided on the Toshiba Thrive guys. Just wanted to let you know what I went with and thank you for the help.

If anyone wanted to know my final $, I purchased a bundle package. Used Toshiba Thrive, 16gb sd card, Toshiba Thrive Dock, and 2 different back plates for 199$. They were asking 250$ but I snaked the auction @ 200$ off ebay.

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Cool man, good deal. Head over to our sister site, thriveforums.org and you can find information on a number of thrive topics.

Sent from my Thrive

Jon_M

Nov 5, 2012
Already saw the sister site. I'll be checking it out while I wait excitedly for my new Thrive! Oh and thx for clarifying that battery thing and keyboard/ports comment I made. I totally failed to notice this thread went to page two and didn't see that till now! :p