Anroid OS updates.

josbeck4

Dec 13, 2011
After a new version of the OS comes out how long does it usually take before the are available on the tablets. I've heard that 4.0 is out, but my Vizio tablet doesn't see it, and neither does my Droid X phone. Right now I'm operating on 2.3.2. My tablet and phone say that they are up to date. Are the phone and tablet versions different?

mui

Nov 28, 2011
Each device has a rom specific to it. The manufacturer may or may not update it as they see fit. Unless you can root the device we're at the mercy of the maker.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
This is a very loaded question, but I will take a stab at the answer. First off, you have to realize that each different tablet or phone uses a different version of the Android OS. Meaning that just because there is a 2.x version or a 3.x version out, it doesn't mean it runs on every device. This also means that if you have 2.3.2 on your phone, and 2.3.2 on your tablet they are interchangeable. Android OS versions are very dependent on the specific hardware they run on, and most vendors further tweak the OS to add their own flavor.

That all being said, for an OS to be available "quickly" on a specific device it usually comes from the User Community at large, and it is usually for a device that is unlocked and flashable with an active user base. This doesn't mean a large user group, just a passionate one that include people that will build ROMs for their particular unit. In some cases you see new ROMs within weeks of the release of the source code from the independent developers. Manufacturers that are doing new and updated versions of the OS generally are much slower than the user base because they have more requirements. While the "occasional" force-close or bootloop might be acceptable in a ROM that you got from a local chef, there is no way it is when it comes from a Samsung or an HTC.

So, when you check your device for updates and it says up-to-date that means you have the latest and greatest officially supported ROM from the device vendor, NOT that you have the latest and greatest ROM available necessarily.

Hope this helps!