Antivirus Apps, Yes Or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerry atr1c02

Mar 23, 2017
What are your views on them, particularly for someone who will be using unsecured wifi on occasions? Are they beneficial or unnecessary, and if the former, what do you recommend? People I know who use them seem to think Bitdefender and CM Security are pretty good, but that Avast is a bit resource heavy.

gerry atr1c02

Mar 23, 2017
Thanks. I did a search prior to posting and came up with the same threads you linked but there are no recent ones and most are several years old. I see you were using Lookout some years ago. Are you still using it and if so do you still rate it highly? It doesn't seem to get mentioned much these days.

I was thinking of using something like CM Security, Bitdefender or Kaspersky, possibly along with CM's Clean Master app, and a free VPN app such as maybe PureVPN or VPN Master. I also forgot to say the apps should be free.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
The only things I'm using nowadays are AVG AntiVirus FREE for Android and Clean Master (Boost Antivirus).

gerry atr1c02

Mar 23, 2017
Thanks. I'll probably do something similar to that. Cheetah Mobile support seems fairly good, and they get very good reviews from industry and users alike so I might go with their AV and Clean Master.

gerry atr1c02

Mar 23, 2017
Ended up buying a fairly cheap Lenovo (Tab 3 10.1) but it's fine for my needs. Tried several free AVs and found Eset to be the best. Not the most comprehensive features list but super-light and unobtrusive. Avast was pretty heavy and caused things to lag a bit and was quite a battery drainer. Cheetah Mobile's apps were just plain unusable in my view because of all the ads. Sophos. like Avast, was also quite heavy. Bitdefender was pretty light but had ads (haven't seen any in Eset yet). I'm also using Adguard adblocker.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Bad idea to install anything Cheetah Mobile. Between the spyware and the constant phoning home to China, you're opening yourself up for more attacks.

Install Avast at the very least, and dump everything Cheetah Mobile.

jiveturkee

Sep 17, 2011
Stay away from Cheetah Mobile unless you want your data sold. Plus they install adware deep into your system. Agree w/Traveller. Get rid of Cheetah Mobile.

I don't really use any AV's as they are unnecessary if you only install from the Google Play Store. If I would use one AV, it would be Malwarebytes

Kevin McMillan

Apr 25, 2017
Never download untrusted apps on your tablet. When installing an antivirus app, always go for household names such as avast, avg, kaspersky etc. Using other minor antivirus apps may result in losing your data or they may install adware into your system as jiveturkee mentioned.

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
After my initial post on this thread, I actually thought things through and realized that viruses on mobile wasn't the problem, but malware. So I ditched all antivirus and simply run Malwarebytes every Sunday morning at 6am. I do use a cleaner: SD Maid. And nothing Cheetah Mobile ever touches my device.

Future_Bringer

Jul 12, 2017
Nope, I do not think that Anti Virus is necessary on Android. I am using custom rom and its getting a daily security update. As long as you do not have install any weird app and from the play store, you would be fine. Also make sure that you check the app permission when you installed it, if you find any suspicious then i am really sure its a malware. Some of security apps that install only slow down my phone and keep showing the ads.

Positive_Aware

May 25, 2016
I'm using a Baidu Anti virus. It is a free tool that will protect our android from any harmful app that can cause problems with the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.