Any Honeycomb rumors?

hunter505

Jan 21, 2011
Anyone got any good rumors about if/when we will be able to get Honeycomb for our beloved G-Tablet?:cool:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Not to be too Zen, but it will come when it comes. There are several excellent chefs out there working on this right now, and it is definitely in the works. The Xoom is so close to the Viewsonic it would seem like a no-brainer to port it, but as always the devs want to make sure it is rock-solid before they roll it out.

I am (along with others I am sure) actively monitoring the progress on this, and promise to report as soon as I have any verified information.

Cheers,
p

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Whatever you do, do not ask this on XDA without a flame retardant suit.

Right! Simply put, this is like asking the fireman setting up the hoses in front of the burning building if they are going to put out a fire. We all need to take a moment to put this all into perspective..

1. NVIDIA has not released the true sourcecode fully yet.
2. Google has not released the libraries yet.
3. A Honeycomb ROM cannot be released that is really running Honeycomb until this is done.

Anyone, any platform, other than the Xoom, that is running a "Honeycomb" or Android 3.0 build is really running a cobbled together image that is not truly based on the full architecture. It may be running many elements such as UI, but this is not the same thing.

My guess would be somewhere around March 28-31 we may see a Honeycomb ROM for the G-Tab, and that is only a guess. I would also guess that we will probably see Betas before that, but again, those are Beta builds, so there are no guarantees.

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
AND.. one might add.....

Don't forget the development community.... DONATE IF YOU CAN ... face it these folks are technically saving you $500-$800 ,if you wanted a Honeycomb tablet, or any other OS'd tablet you'd be shelling out for the Xoom or other pad at this point

They do this for free and braggin rights of course.... but i'm sure a little "beer" money would go along way to show your appreciation...

Sm0k3d 0uT

Oct 5, 2010
Not to be too Zen, but it will come when it comes. There are several excellent chefs out there working on this right now, and it is definitely in the works. The Xoom is so close to the Viewsonic it would seem like a no-brainer to port it, but as always the devs want to make sure it is rock-solid before they roll it out.

I am (along with others I am sure) actively monitoring the progress on this, and promise to report as soon as I have any verified information.

Cheers,
p

Actually the hardware specs are similar but actual hardware inside isn't. G-Tab uses the Harmony development board, Xoom uses a different one. That's the main wall developers have hit.