Any idea how to reset security code without google account?

murmel

May 6, 2011
Hey all,

I tried to enter a visual security pattern on my shiny new A500. Great, but I couldn't really decide which one to choose, so I changed them a couple of times. Suddenly, the tablet asked for the "existing pattern", although I never assumed to have confirmed any code.

Long story short: Now I need to reset the hardware, because I have NO idea, which code the tablet has stored.

The manual tells me about a factory reset, but (of course) the device asks me for the pattern to confirm it. :( The reset button on the side is not sufficient to restore factory defaults.

Is there any magic HW trick to reset the device? :confused:

Oh, and no, I didn't set up any Google account before this whole mess…

Thanks for any pointer!

Last edited:

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
You could flash the rom which would erase EVERYTHING.

You can either use an updated version or the same version. I don't have that device so I don't know how to do it but if you post the link here after you find it, I'll learn.

Last edited:

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
Contact Acer and let them know what has happened. I will tell you, you may need to ask to speak with a level two tech person or higher, but they are nice.

If they tell you how to do it, then LET US KNOW!!!

I would like to now how to do a reset, with out being able to login in case this happens to me or one of my users!

Thanks!!!

murmel

May 6, 2011
I just talked to the support on the chat.

I've been told to do a hardware reset by pushing a paper clip to the reset hole on the side for 10 seconds. But this (obviously) didn't work. I've tried this a couple of times before.

So, I guess I'll have to wait until Monday, until my local support is available again (I'm based in Germany). The US support wouldn't let me through to any higher level…

murmel

May 6, 2011
I've just read this, see if it works:

"After a certain number of wrong entries, you will be presented with an option to reset your pattern. Tap Forgot pattern? and enter your google account username and password. Note: You must have an active Google account on the tablet. If not working do a clean boot."

Yeah, found this too. But that's why the topic of this thread says "...without google account" :-(

In the meantime, I've found:

xda-developers - View Single Post - [DEV] Recovery + Config

where it says, there is some kind of safe mode:
Power Down. During the Acer boot up screen, hold down the vol- button all the way through the Android splash screen. Once it vibrates, "Safe Mode" will appear in the bottom left corner. You can then release the vol- button. I also was able to perform what appeared to be a factory reset from the hard buttons. It said "Erasing userdata....erasing cache...then it rebooted. It erased all of my apps, but it didn't restore the apps I deleted earlier from the system/app folder and the Superuser icon was still there. I'm trying to duplicate that combo now. Also, I don't know what safe mode is for.

But this doesn't work for me. I only seem to be able to trigger some kind of "recovery image" from the boot process (press vol+ during startup), but since I don't have any valid update to flash, it doesn't work either. And probably this would not reset the internal settings anyhow.

Now waiting for some answers from Acer, although in the abovementioned thread, some guys got the ansers that they would need to send it in :-(

pentool

May 1, 2011
Did you reach the point where the "option to reset your tablet" came up? Regardless whether you had setup your tablet or not with a G account, maybe you can enter you existing one anyway, and it will reset it. I don't know... since never tried it, I'm just guessing.

However, I think Acer should address such issues in their knowledge base. This is an important one.

murmel

May 6, 2011
No, it just keeps asking me for the security pattern.

Even worse, the information
...if not working, do a clean boot.
is just plain wrong.

Because
- to do a clean boot from software, you'll need your security pattern
- there's no (documented) way to do a clean boot from hardware only

Last edited:

pentool

May 1, 2011
Well, I'd think if you have tried it at least 100 times and you didn't get anything, that article I found is probably incorrect. It would be unreasonable to have the user keep trying for hundreds of times until something pops up.

murmel

May 6, 2011
Well, I'd think if you have tried it at least 100 times and you didn't get anything, that article I found is probably incorrect. It would be unreasonable to have the user keep trying for hundreds of times until something pops up.

Yes. I think it just keeps asking, if there's no Google account set up.

After 5 tries, you have to wait for 30 seconds. It keeps counting the numer of wrong tries until a reboot. But I had it several times all the way up to 30 or 40. IMHO, this should be enough.

murmel

May 6, 2011
WishRyder wrote in xda-developers - View Single Post - [DEV] Recovery + Config
Not sure if this is helpful or not...but I was playing around with my device, and found this procedure:

1) Shut device down
2) Plug in USB keyboard
3) Hold Power+Vol Down to boot into recovery
4) Hit "Home" key on Keyboard

At least gives the option for wiping cache/data.

I tried this, and it worked for me. :)

It seems to be required to push and hold both Vol+ and Vol- keys to enter recovery on my device, though.

Now, I have a working (and meanwhile rooted) A500. Yay!

pentool

May 1, 2011
He did not say hold BOTH Vol+ and Vol- key. He said hold Power + Volume Down.

Nevertheless, it's great info! Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

ithink2020

Apr 18, 2011
WishRyder wrote in xda-developers - View Single Post - [DEV] Recovery + Config

I tried this, and it worked for me. :)

It seems to be required to push and hold both Vol+ and Vol- keys to enter recovery on my device, though.

Now, I have a working (and meanwhile rooted) A500. Yay!

WishRyder's steps worked for me, only had to hold down the Vol- button. I even did a successful Factory Reset!!

Now we just need someone to Flash Clockwork and give it a shot!

murmel

May 6, 2011
WishRyder's steps worked for me, only had to hold down the Vol- button. I even did a successful Factory Reset!!

Now we just need someone to Flash Clockwork and give it a shot!

Only pressing Vol- did nothing for me, it just booted as usual.
But anyhow, at least there's a way for all of us now... :)