Any negative thoughts on 10" vs 7" tablets

brit5467

Nov 8, 2011
Thanks to all for the feedback. I WILL definitely check out the kind of display, since I would be using both inside and out. I know I can't even see my phone display at the beach, so thanks for point that out.

cbill

Nov 11, 2011
Brit:

The basic Kindle is quite inexpensive, and is a b/w Eink reader that is great in the sunlight (supposedly the best of any). Perhaps it would be wise to purchase a basic Kindle for your reading, and then take your time in selecting one of the more utilitarian but expensive tablets for your other activities. my experience and research indicates none of the color tablets come close to the Eink tablets in readability in sunlight. Hope this helps.

Cbill

brit5467

Nov 8, 2011
Thanks to all. Well, since I won't be at the beach for awhile (LOL) and can only afford one, I took the plunge and ordered the Toshiba Thrive from HSN tonite. They were running a special - ($330 + $12 S&H & no tax) and on 4 easy-pays which was nice. And since they have the extended return policy for Xmas, I can check it out for a couple months with no obligation. Also get 30 days of support from "Tablets for Dummies", a carry case, some preloaded software. I'm sure there are cheaper Ebay, Amazon, and electronic e-store deals but wanted to stay away from mail order (other than HSN) since not everyone as "return-friendly" as they are.

But thanks to all for the advice !!! And I'm still open to more opinions since I may not be keeping the Thrive.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
The thing is, there is no definitive answer for this question. For my wife, the 7" is perfect and the Acer Iconia A100 was the best of the ones we checked. I wanted a 10" that would replace the netbook which is loaded with limitations, so I got the Sony S Tablet.

WHat is the size of the one you got, Brit?

brit5467

Nov 8, 2011
That's the thing....I don't have one yet and was wondering if I'd regret the 10". Well, that is until 3 AM this morning when woke up so put on HSN to make me fall back asleep (LOL) and they had the Toshiba Thrive for only $330 (plue $12 SH) but you also get a carry case and it's loaded with some office type software (not sure if they all come that way) as well as 30 days worth of "Tablets for Dummies" 24-hr phone support. Plus they give you until end of Jan to do returns, no questions asked, which gives me ample time to check it out. Soooo...very shortly I will be owning a 10" :cool:

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Soooo...very shortly I will be owning a 10" :cool:

Well, that wasn't so bad was it? Less than 4 days since our little "chat" and you've already found your own personal "perfect tablet".:cool: Congratulations on your new Toshiba, I think you'll be happy with your decision. The folks who already have Toshiba Thrives are waiting for you to join them in the Toshiba Thrive section, have fun down there.

1goodidea

Nov 13, 2011
Definately 10. Particularly for on the couch like the OP. if you used it commuting each day I could se why people might go for a 7 (personally I'm happy with my phone for quick news update, Facebook etc while commuting).

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Right, it could get bulky for a daily commute, but they are sure nice otherwise. :) Welcome to the forum BTW.

brit5467

Nov 8, 2011
Thanks spider.....for initially steering me in the right direction on the forum!!! Lots of great, helpful people!!!

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
If someone is looking for a cheap tablet, that is really pretty good, Woot's deal of the day today is the Velocity Cruz for $75 including shipping. I have one and it is pretty good as long as you do not expect it to perform like the expensive devices. It's a good reader and has a decent processor. Only problem is, Woot seems to be down at the moment.