Any Regrets about the Acer Icona Tab A500?

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I've had mine for about 4 weeks now and my only complaint is with video playback. SD movies playback can be a little jumpy at times and HD (720p) are impossible to watch.
I'm playing HD 1080p with no poblems.

RobKort

Nov 23, 2011
No complains whatsoever on my A500. Loving this thing from top to bottom. :D

We'll see on the long run though. ;)

Sent from Rob's TapadaIconia :D

tomsecreto

Aug 25, 2011
I have to say I have been very impressed with the Acer A500. Aside from ALL of the benefits that come with this device including the fact that all of the possible connection ports are on the device with the 3.2 update the full USB port even reads portable USB hard drives that are formated with the NTFS file system (I have used a drive with 640GB and all of the space is useable).

I have heard about the microphone issues and maybe I got lucky because I have NO PROBLEM even video chat using Google talk and testing the "Speaktoit" assistant that is similar to Apple's Siri.

If someone get this tablet they will not be unhappy.

Since I have originally got this tablet to test some of our USB devices one of the first things I did was successfully connect to our mainframe with the built in VPN and then started a terminal session (5250/3270) using Mocha for Android. I could not believe that it all just worked even when I had just got it and not waiting for 3.1 or 3.2 OTA update.

I also like the fact that it's a tiny bit heavier because it is a well built unit. Even the camera was impressive, don't forget the price of these devices.
I should disclose I have been in IT for many years and I am not bias when it comes to most "Client" based devices and this was my first Acer.

Hope this helps someone.

Tom

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Tom, yeah I agree with you. Most of the problems have been Router/modem/switch problems where most normal people would not know how to fix the issues. Then they blame Acer. However looking at other Tablet Forums I have found that the complaints are very much similar - same sort of issues. As I said before I'm very happy with it.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
I've had mine for about 4 weeks now and my only complaint is with video playback. SD movies playback can be a little jumpy at times and HD (720p) are impossible to watch.

You must be formatting your videos wrong because the Iconia can officially play 720p videos just fine. As of 3.1 (or was it 3.2?) It can play 1080p too.

Anyways:
I use my Iconia as a netbook alternative, BUT the number 1 reason I got it was to read digital comics and books on it and to use it as a portable media device. All other uses were realized AFTER purchasing it, lol.

As a comic/book reader, i dont think it's too much heavier than the typical hardcover book. It can be heavy at times, but it doesn't cause too much strain IMO. (Btw, remember that at Best Buy, they mount the security cables to their tablets, which actually make them heavier).

I store movies on an external 1TB hdd and can watch them just fine in SD, 720p, and 1080p. I tend to use mp4 format mostly because i had this tablet since launch date in the US and at that time, mp4 was pretty much all it could play without a 3rd party player. I just got in the habit of formatting my movies that way. I think now, it can play mp4, mpg, vob, and mkv, but i dont know for sure.
Oh, I can also hook the tablet to a tv via the hdmi port and watch them there. Aldo, the speakers are excellant too, even with your hands over them! Perfect for movie watching!

I can also play games from the Android market, which is nice when on the go. I prrsonally only do this when I need to kill time though... or while in a boring class.

As a laptop, I have a case that props it up and a mini Bluetooth keyboard (w mouse) too. I essentially have a laptop without the keyboard and screen connected! I can read, edit, and create MS Office documents (although, its best to check them over on a computer first; there is talk of Microsoft trying to work w Google to create an official, fully functional MS Office for Android too), check and send email, browse the internet (with Flash!), and even share files between computers and my tablet easily. I can connect it to my school's computers easily!

I also don't need to worry about being in a location without wifi (I have the a500 btw, so no built-in 3g) because I can tether my phone to it and use its 3g/4g connection.

EDIT: You can also store files on it, such as homework, etc. Even files like .exe can be stored, even ic it can't be run on Android.
Overall, its a really nice tablet albeit one of the heavier models. On the other hand, to make it lighter means that stuff needs to be taken out, like maybe the super duper useful full-sized USB port.

Like others have said, if you got one, it would be surprising if you were disappointed ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Do you have to format your videos before you transfer them to your device? I haven't tried much yet in the way of videos except to rip some dvds.

This is probably the wrong place for this question, but is there an external 3g that can be connected to tbe device?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
Do you have to format your videos before you transfer them to your device? I haven't tried much yet in the way of videos except to rip some dvds.

This is probably the wrong place for this question, but is there an external 3g that can be connected to tbe device?

So far Android doesn't support USB 3G modems/aircards? Uncertain exactly why but the manufacturer is the one who needs to release an ANDROID DRIVER. Maybe when ICS comes out there maybe support.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Cool, thanks! Then all we will need is for Sony S to be able to upgrade to Ice Cream. :)

flomar

Jul 20, 2012
Icebike said:
I'm happy with mine.

I dislike the microphone volume, just like everyone else. It forces me to use an external mic, but I do that very seldom.
Its heavier than my friend's iPad2, but far more sophisticated. (The ipad is just a big iphone, minus the phone).

I purchased it when the Transformer wasn't even out, and the Samsung was only available from carriers and required a data plan.
I wanted WIFI only and I love all the fully working ports that so many other tablets lack.

I am very happy with my Acer a500. I have owned only for a week, I did lots of tests, all got OK; also upgraded to ics with no problem; the only concern is that I bought as refurbished, so I am not sure what features I have to look into to be sure it won't fail soon or if there are any hidden issues. Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks.

diiorio

Dec 21, 2011
I've been away since life has become to busy.

Never have complaints with the A500. Not since 4.0 and soem tweaking. Cideo playback is smooth.

1080p video have no real purpose for playback on the device, sicne the screen is only 720p. Unless you are outputting through HDMI to a 1080p TV or display, which si the only way it will display 1080 videos. (which take up alot of card space).

I am usign an A700-4G I was lucky to get my hands on. It's been updated and runs great. The screen is amazing. It is 1080p, however screen size wise, 1080p isn't as noticable.

The new TEgra GPu is some seriosu nice power. Saddly I have 2 games that fully support it to test with. Now detail wise. WOW. Seriously WOW> And even 3-D support (that will be explained later by vidia and acer-and supproting companies).

My only quark still is the location of the power charge port. Make the cable hang down in orientation.

Now it seems a new model may be in the works. An A710 or 720 with a built in fold aroudn Keyboard. Wouldn't midn that, but hope it doesn't break.

Another quark is the tighness of the usb port.

philipwk

Aug 13, 2012
I am VERY UN-Happy with my Acer Icona Tab A500, I can't use it anymore, the screen will not respond to touch anymore and I can't figure out how to fix it.
The unit is out of warranty and to fix it Acer wants as much as a new one costs. So I guess I am just out of luck.

Philipwk

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I am VERY UN-Happy with my Acer Icona Tab A500, I can't use it anymore, the screen will not respond to touch anymore and I can't figure out how to fix it.
The unit is out of warranty and to fix it Acer wants as much as a new one costs. So I guess I am just out of luck.

Philipwk

Well you could try by giving us more details on how this happened and a few more symptomns to you problem - maybe, just maybe someone can help.