Any way to increase space allocated MID7022?

jimcpl

Aug 10, 2011
Hi,

The MID7022 has 4gb internal/nand but it looks like most is allocated to system, so very little is left for programs. Is there any way to increase space for programs?

Thanks,
Jim

Sent from my MID7022 using Android Tablet Forum

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
Hi,

The MID7022 has 4gb internal/nand but it looks like most is allocated to system, so very little is left for programs. Is there any way to increase space for programs?

Thanks,
Jim

Try an app called app2sd it will copy most of your apps to 4gb sdcard

delsolboyz

Jul 4, 2011
I move most of my apps from the limited 300 mb storage to the nand storage using apps2sd. I still haven't figure out a way to move my apps to the microsd card, but i can see its already causing apps to have delays loading at the startup.

jimcpl

Aug 10, 2011
Hi,

What I really meant was is there a way to increase the size of the "internal memory".

I guess that this is the size of the "system" partition (i.e., "internal memory" == "system partition)?

Having said that, I have app2sd, but I'm getting a little confused, with respect to the different "memory" naming for the MID7022. If anyone can clarify, I'd really appreciate that....

Here's what I *think* that I know, thus far:

1) The MID7022 has 4GB of flash memory built-in. It seems like this 4GB flash is called "NAND" memory (I know what NAND is).

2) It looks like this 4GB is split into "internal memory" (== "system partition"?) and the rest is called "sdcard", where "sdcard" is seen as /sdcard in the filesystem, e.g., if you look at it using something like ES File Explorer, Root Explorer, Terminal, etc.

2) The "internal memory" is ~300MB. The rest of the 4GB is the "sdcard" (or /sdcard on the filesystem).

3) If you have a separate microSDCARD plugged into the MID7022, that appears as /sdcard/tflash on the filesystem.

I *think* that most of the above is accurate. If not, can anyone correct me??

Ok, now here's where I'm confused...

a) I noticed that if you go into Settings==>Applications==>Manage Applications, some (but not all) apps have a button that says "Move to SDCARD"/"Move to Device". If I click that button, it changes to "Moving" for a bit, then alternates "Move to SDCARD" and "Move to Device". If I click "Move to SDCARD", I can see the amount of "Internal Memory" (at the bottom) increase, so I'm assuming that this is moving the app from the "internal memory" to SOMEWHERE ELSE. But, the question here is WHERE is "SOMEWHERE ELSE"?

Is it to the /sdcard (the non-internal memory part of the 4GB) somewhere?

Or to /sdcard/tflash (the external microSDCARD)?

b) Since the MID7022 Settings has this "move" function, what is the difference between using that, vs. app2sd?

When you use app2sd on the MID7022, where does THAT move the app "TO" (precisely)??

I've looked around both /sdcard and /sdcard/tflash after clicking the "Move to SDCARD" under Settings, and I haven't been able to figure out EXACTLY where that moves the app's files TO....

Sorry for the longish post, but if someone knows, please post back. Maybe we can all learn a little something about our MID7022s :)....

Jim

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
Hi,

What I really meant was is there a way to increase the size of the "internal memory".

I guess that this is the size of the "system" partition (i.e., "internal memory" == "system partition)?

Having said that, I have app2sd, but I'm getting a little confused, with respect to the different "memory" naming for the MID7022. If anyone can clarify, I'd really appreciate that....

Here's what I *think* that I know, thus far:

1) The MID7022 has 4GB of flash memory built-in. It seems like this 4GB flash is called "NAND" memory (I know what NAND is).

2) It looks like this 4GB is split into "internal memory" (== "system partition"?) and the rest is called "sdcard", where "sdcard" is seen as /sdcard in the filesystem, e.g., if you look at it using something like ES File Explorer, Root Explorer, Terminal, etc.

2) The "internal memory" is ~300MB. The rest of the 4GB is the "sdcard" (or /sdcard on the filesystem).

3) If you have a separate microSDCARD plugged into the MID7022, that appears as /sdcard/tflash on the filesystem.

Ok, now here's where I'm confused...

a) I noticed that if you go into Settings==>Applications==>Manage Applications, some (but not all) apps have a button that says "Move to SDCARD"/"Move to Device". If I click that button, it changes to "Moving" for a bit, then alternates "Move to SDCARD" and "Move to Device". If I click "Move to SDCARD", I can see the amount of "Internal Memory" (at the bottom) increase, so I'm assuming that this is moving the app from the "internal memory" to SOMEWHERE ELSE. But, the question here is WHERE is "SOMEWHERE ELSE"?

Is it to the /sdcard (the non-internal memory part of the 4GB) somewhere?

Or to /sdcard/tflash (the external microSDCARD)?

b) Since the MID7022 Settings has this "move" function, what is the difference between using that, vs. app2sd?

When you use app2sd on the MID7022, where does THAT move the app "TO" (precisely)??

I've looked around both /sdcard and /sdcard/tflash after clicking the "Move to SDCARD" under Settings, and I haven't been able to figure out EXACTLY where that moves the app's files TO....

Sorry for the longish post, but if someone knows, please post back. Maybe we can all learn a little something about our MID7022s :)....

Jim

A) apps are moved to the internal sd card. They are located in the folder ".android_secure" It is a hidden folder that can only be viewed by connecting tablet via usb.

B) There is no difference the only thing all these apps2sd program do is INFORM you which programs can be moved. They don't do anything besides that. If it doesn't have root access then its just using in the built in methods to move apps.
-If you want to choose where you want to move apps then you must partition an external sd card and use link2sd. This app requires root access but will move just about any app that isnt a system one. (Meaning apps that developers normally do not allow you to move to sd card can be moved).

As for your original question of increasing the internal partition there are programs like EASEUS partition master that allows you to resize partitions and create new ones (I use it to set up link2sd on my phone). This program however does not show a second partition for me for the NAND memory. Just a fat32 3.09gb capacity card.

EDIT: Here is some more info of how apps2sd and stuff works and how to increase internal memory for this particular phone

http://android.modaco.com/topic/331205-guide-how-to-get-more-free-space-for-your-apps/

I read other posts that said when they hooked up their tablets the sd card actually showed 3 additional partitions (for the data/cachce/etc) but ours doesn't so maybe its not on the internal sd card???

Last edited:

jimcpl

Aug 10, 2011
A) apps are moved to the internal sd card. They are located in the folder ".android_secure" It is a hidden folder that can only be viewed by connecting tablet via usb.

B) There is no difference the only thing all these apps2sd program do is INFORM you which programs can be moved. They don't do anything besides that. If it doesn't have root access then its just using in the built in methods to move apps.
-If you want to choose where you want to move apps then you must partition an external sd card and use link2sd. This app requires root access but will move just about any app that isnt a system one. (Meaning apps that developers normally do not allow you to move to sd card can be moved).

As for your original question of increasing the internal partition there are programs like EASEUS partition master that allows you to resize partitions and create new ones (I use it to set up link2sd on my phone). This program however does not show a second partition for me for the NAND memory. Just a fat32 3.09gb capacity card.

EDIT: Here is some more info of how apps2sd and stuff works and how to increase internal memory for this particular phone

[GUIDE] How to get more FREE SPACE for your apps - Android @ MoDaCo

I read other posts that said when they hooked up their tablets the sd card actually showed 3 additional partitions (for the data/cachce/etc) but ours doesn't so maybe its not on the internal sd card???

Hi,

Thanks! That thread you linked on modaco has great info!!

I'm assuming that link2sd just creates softlinks ("ln") on the internal sd card (aka internal flash, but not the "internal memory"), pointing to the actual files that you'd move to the external microSDCARD?

Working with the MID7022, with the smallish "internal memory" is somewhat new for me, coming from the Gtablet, where we've typically used CWM to re-partition. One of the options I was looking at for a long time was an Archos 43 or 70, but never pulled the trigger on either of those, because I think those have only 256MB allocated for "internal memory", and the only solution the folks had over at XDA was a custom ROM (Urukdroid).

Jim

fun

Aug 19, 2010

you are right. there is 4GB NAND chip(it is not SD card) in 7022 and it is splitted into some hidden area and MTD area and rest of large FAT(or NTFS) formatted area called NAND.

NAND area is mounted as /sdcard (actually /mnt/sdcard) and android system treat it as SD card. you can use "SD card is required" apps without SD card.

MTD area is system area which is splitted into boot/recovery/system/data/etc partitions. system apps/files are stored in system partition(under /system) but user apps/data are installed on data partition(under /data). ~300MB area you mentioned as "system partition"/"internal memory" should be /data. you can see partition layout from "cat /proc/mtd" and/or "df" commands.

size of partitions in MTD is defined in bootloader and can be changed if there is proper lk.rom for it. but sum of size of partitions is limited to MTD area(probably 512MB on stock 7022 bootloader, 1GB on latest compatible bootloader).

you can see size of MTD and NAND area with FWDN program. but there is no way to change size of these META partition.

you can get more /data by changing MTD partition layout and/or use latest compatible bootloader which has 1GB MTD area(and smaller NAND area). but I'm not sure it's faster than fast SD card.

EDIT:
you can use another partition on another storage other than MTD area if you want/can change system file. e.g. use large external SD card for system area instead of MTD partitions.

any method for other devices which have internal SD card(or emmc) for system area doesn't work because internal flash in 7022 is not SD card.

Last edited:

nba1341

Jul 4, 2011
you are right. there is 4GB NAND chip(it is not SD card) in 7022 and it is splitted into some hidden area and MTD area and rest of large FAT(or NTFS) formatted area called NAND.

NAND area is mounted as /sdcard (actually /mnt/sdcard) and android system treat it as SD card. you can use "SD card is required" apps without SD card.

MTD area is system area which is splitted into boot/recovery/system/data/etc partitions. system apps/files are stored in system partition(under /system) but user apps/data are installed on data partition(under /data). ~300MB area you mentioned as "system partition"/"internal memory" should be /data. you can see partition layout from "cat /proc/mtd" and/or "df" commands.

size of partitions in MTD is defined in bootloader and can be changed if there is proper lk.rom for it. but sum of size of partitions is limited to MTD area(probably 512MB on stock 7022 bootloader, 1GB on latest compatible bootloader).

you can see size of MTD and NAND area with FWDN program. but there is no way to change size of these META partition.

you can get more /data by changing MTD partition layout and/or use latest compatible bootloader which has 1GB MTD area(and smaller NAND area). but I'm not sure it's faster than fast SD card.

EDIT:
you can use another partition on another storage other than MTD area if you want/can change system file. e.g. use large external SD card for system area instead of MTD partitions.

any method for other devices which have internal SD card(or emmc) for system area doesn't work because internal flash in 7022 is not SD card.

Oh yea I guess its the 7024 with a removable sd card for internal storage oops

jimcpl

Aug 10, 2011

EDIT:

Hi Fun,

Thanks for that info. Maybe it's just my perspective (I've only gotten into these things for use as Android tablets), but it always seems that these manufacturers are allocating a relatively small system area, vs. the rest of the space available in the NAND. I remember when I first started working with these, I kept seeing people trying to figure out how to allocate a larger area, and I couldn't figure out why the mfrs would do that, until I finally realized that most of these devices probably started out as media (e.g., MP3) players, so probably the mfrs assumed that people wouldn't need much space for apps, but wanted more of the NAND available for storage of media (MP3s, Video files, photos, etc.) files.

I guess that we're just stuck with that "legacy".

Hopefully, one of these days the tablet makers will figure that one out, and either allow users to allocate partitions according to their needs, or provide larger system areas :)!!

Thanks again,
Jim

fun

Aug 19, 2010
Hopefully, one of these days the tablet makers will figure that one out, and either allow users to allocate partitions according to their needs, or provide larger system areas :)!!

yup. there is some ROMs which have +512MB MTD(and -512MB NAND) area released on this month. (built on July)
one of them is compatible for 7022, you may use it. but there is no official 7022 ROM from COBY, so you can't go back to 100% same stock ROM after you flashed compatible one.