Any way to make Windows 7 recognize Sony S with a drive letter?

peaceridge

Jul 11, 2011
The title says it all. I have searched all the forums I can find, googled it, etc, but can't find anything to work. I really, really need a drive letter on my tablet when I connect it to my Windows 7 machine - it comes up portable without a drive letter. It would make Calibre (ebook database) so much easier - now I have to "jump through hoops" (Dropbox, transferring manually, etc) to get books on the tablet and then delete them after reading, because Calibre doesn't recognize anything without a drive letter.

Otherwise everything is great on the tablet - of course making it work with home groups would be nice, but so far no joy on that either.

Any help would be most appreciated!

boodschap

Dec 1, 2011
Sony S is USB host, so I think you can't access it from a computer. It's a pity, I also bought a cable, but impossible to access it...

peaceridge

Jul 11, 2011
Sony S is USB host, so I think you can't access it from a computer. It's a pity, I also bought a cable, but impossible to access it...

I use a micro sd to usb cable that I had just laying around from another gadget. I can access it from my Windows 7 system - it shows up under Portable. I can open it, move files too and from it, no problem - it is just Calibre that has the problem. I haven't tried it with a sd card in it, so don't know if Windows 7 will access that.

lbretth

Oct 29, 2011
The Sony Tablet is not setup as USB Mass Storage so doesn't show up like a flash drive on a PC. This is something that Google are doing to a lot of newer devices with large built in memory because it means that app space can be shared with general storage. Doing it this way avoids the limitations on the number of apps that can be installed that we used to see on Froyo and previous versions.

peaceridge

Jul 11, 2011
Thanks, at least I now understand their reasoning, even if it makes it more difficult for me. Guess I'll just have to keep looking for an easier solution to connecting Calibre to my Sony Tablet.

lbretth

Oct 29, 2011
Thanks, at least I now understand their reasoning, even if it makes it more difficult for me. Guess I'll just have to keep looking for an easier solution to connecting Calibre to my Sony Tablet.

This is one of the reasons why i'm really looking forward to someone getting root on this thing. I'm sure once it's rooted we'll be able to figure out a solution to this. I'd love to be able to Calibre with it too.

tatumcj

Dec 13, 2011
I have a similar issue with my ASUS TF101 tablet and Windows 7 and Calibre. Windows 7 recognizes my ASUS TF101 but not as a removable drive, therefore Calibre won't recognize it. Interesting enough Media Monkey does recognize the tablet and I was able to move my music to the tablet easily.

Here is the response I received from Calibre..."your device is not being seen as a removable
USB drive by windows. You can connect to your device over the air instead, as
described here: Frequently Asked Questions — calibre User Manual"

This involved setting Calibre on my Windows 7 PC to content server. You can add a password, if you wish (setting is under preferences). Then you connect wirelessly to Calibre with http://ip of your windows 7:8080. Then you can download from your collection as you wish. You can access using the mobile interface or the classic. I found both to be usable. I even have access to my custom fields. You do have to keep Calibre running on your Windows systems, but I do leave it up most of the time anyway, so not a biggie for me.

I'd rather have the ability to send my collection to the tablet, directly, but the web interface is nicer than I'd expected and I can live with it until I figure out an alternative.

Hope this is useful info for you.

peaceridge

Jul 11, 2011
Thanks, I appreciate your comment. However, I've tried making it a content server and can't get my tablet to recognize the ip address - says it can't connect. So, right now I'm just going with dropbox, but I'd sure like something automatic. I guess our only hope is that one of the calibre folks will figure out something since more and more people are getting tablets.

I have a similar issue with my ASUS TF101 tablet and Windows 7 and Calibre. Windows 7 recognizes my ASUS TF101 but not as a removable drive, therefore Calibre won't recognize it. Interesting enough Media Monkey does recognize the tablet and I was able to move my music to the tablet easily.

Here is the response I received from Calibre..."your device is not being seen as a removable
USB drive by windows. You can connect to your device over the air instead, as
described here: Frequently Asked Questions — calibre User Manual"

This involved setting Calibre on my Windows 7 PC to content server. You can add a password, if you wish (setting is under preferences). Then you connect wirelessly to Calibre with http://ip of your windows 7:8080. Then you can download from your collection as you wish. You can access using the mobile interface or the classic. I found both to be usable. I even have access to my custom fields. You do have to keep Calibre running on your Windows systems, but I do leave it up most of the time anyway, so not a biggie for me.

I'd rather have the ability to send my collection to the tablet, directly, but the web interface is nicer than I'd expected and I can live with it until I figure out an alternative.

Hope this is useful info for you.