Any way to undo Honeycomb upgrade?

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
Is there any way to go back to Gingerbread? Ever since upgrade my vtab is just to frustrating to use anymore. Slow, unresponsive, really has gone from a great tablet to something I don't want to use anymore.

Same here. About all I do with my VTAB1008 anymore is complain about the Honeycrud update. I even started a Youtube Channel just so I can document all the problems I've had with it like:

1. Losing 9.5% of the screen in landscape mode or an area of the screen 73 pixels high in Landscape or Portrait mode. Proof of that is at the bottom of the following post in the thread: Woot Tablet is Gingerbread

2. The Flash Player might only give you one tap on a video then it ignores you until you tap somewhere else on the page. A good page to demonstrate that problem is:
Adobe Flash Player Test Page

3. Flash Player objects in the Android Browser can bleed into the bookmarks page and a post were I have a screen shot of that is here: Video:My vtab1008 after Honeycomb update

After I found the above quirk I found out that you can get all sorts of flash player objects to end up in the bookmarks page by just pressing and holding down the <back> button. And if a video was playing when you did that you can restart the video by pressing <home> then select Browser again.

4. If you are using the Flash Player to play a Youtube video in the browser it might not be able to play it all the way to the end of the video. I've seen it quit quite a few times before but once I set up the HC VTAB to go head to head with a GB VTAB I learned only the HC VTAB has the problem with quitting early. More about the early quitting here.

While things might change the video that I never got to play all the way through with the Android Browser can be found at: ANDROID, BEFORE IT COPIED APPLE!

Remember use the Browser to try and play the video listed above and not the YouTube application.

5. Pan and Zoom on a number of pages works differently than it worked when my VTAB1008 was GB.
My test page for checking out the Pan and Zoom happens to be a page titled Adobe Flash Player Test Page

4/22/12 I found another Honeycomb Tablet and an ICS Tablet that also have problems with Pan and Zoom on the above page.

6. Getting an "Incorrect Password" when trying to use an Open Network. Similar complaint at:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...i-fi-connection-problems-after-honeycomb.html

7. WiFi will keep disconnecting from a network despite how the "Wi-Fi disconnect policy" is setup.

Found out on April 29, 2012 after buying a GB VTAB1008 and trying to make it a Web Server that the above issue is also in the GB VTAB1008 but it just doesn't disconnect as fast.

8. The Android Browser now has problems with videos at m.youtube.com. It will let you select them but if you go to play them all you will see is black for the video: Case in point is the following video
YouTube - Vizio vtab1008 honeycomb part 2
Note: you can watch the above video if you select to watch it with the Dolphin Browser instead of the Android Brower.

4/22/12 Tested a ASUS Prime with ICS and a Motorola with GB and they both worked like the Vizio GB tablet used to work.

9. Discovered on May 6, 2012. If you are using the Vizio YouTube application and you are watching all the videos in a playlist it will reset to the very first video in a playlist if you change the oreintation of the VTAB1008.

An easy way to see this for yourself starting from the browser is:
1. Click on this link to someone with a few different playlist
2. When you get the prompt "Complete action using" select "YouTube"
3. On the left side of the screen select "Playlist"
4. You can select any playlist but whatever one you select remember the title of the first video in the list.
5. Tap on "Play all" in the upper right hand corner just to the left of the menu button.
6. Swipe your finger on the video from right to left a few times to change which video you are watching.
7. Rotate your tablet from landscape to portrait or portrait to landscape and you will notice that the video you are watching gets changed to the very first video in the list.

10. Crash crash crash crash. I never even knew my VTAB1008 could crash until the Vizio Virus (updater) put Honeycrud on it.
$shot_000021[1].png

Last edited:

jhig1961

Nov 27, 2011
Beside youtube which I don't watch much anyway, HC is much faster and I have fewer crashes. I have been using stock launcher with some success but have just switched back to go launcher and it seems to improve every aspect of the tablet experience.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
jhig1961 said:
Beside youtube which I don't watch much anyway, HC is much faster and I have fewer crashes. I have been using stock launcher with some success but have just switched back to go launcher and it seems to improve every aspect of the tablet experience.

I like Go Launcher myself but YouTube is not as big an issue as the funky flash player that affected YouTube.

The funky flash player that Vizio HC uses means thousands of sites that use embedded videos or use the Adobe Flash player are affected by the HC update.

concealer404

Jan 23, 2012
I did a factory reset on mine, is STILL ridiculously slow.

Trying to type in any internet browser is ridiculous. If i were to type this sentence on my tablet, i'd finish 30 seconds before it did, and shoot me now if i had to go back and fix any spelling mistakes.

Scrolling down pages is choppy as all hell, and really unresponsive in general. HATE IT. I've pretty much stopped using it, will probably sell.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I did a factory reset on mine, is STILL ridiculously slow.

Trying to type in any internet browser is ridiculous. If i were to type this sentence on my tablet, i'd finish 30 seconds before it did, and shoot me now if i had to go back and fix any spelling mistakes.

Scrolling down pages is choppy as all hell, and really unresponsive in general. HATE IT. I've pretty much stopped using it, will probably sell.

You obviously had a problem with your update. This is not the way it should run. Try a factory reset again (make sure you know the proper procedure) and contact support if you still can't get it running correctly.

Roger2008

Apr 4, 2012
I've pretty much stopped using it, will probably sell.

From problems I've had with my HC Update and different things I've tried to fix it, I didn't see any difference in resetting to factory from the Settings Menu or resetting to factory with the combination of buttons that you learn from Customer Service.

Since I've seen my HC Tablet slow way down when it is having trouble with a WiFi connection I suggest you go into the WiFi area of the settings menu and see if it is staying connected.

I would also suggest to go to Speakeasy Speed Test and see if your through put is consistant. It doesn't have to be fast just consistant.

FYI If you still had a GB VTAB1008 it would be real easy to retest your connection speed on the above site but with an HC Vizio you have to tap on something outside of the area used by the Flash Player before you can retest it.

concealer404

Jan 23, 2012
You obviously had a problem with your update. This is not the way it should run. Try a factory reset again (make sure you know the proper procedure) and contact support if you still can't get it running correctly.

Yeah, i reset using the button shuffle thing, completely wiped everything. I'll try it again this weekend and then contact support if it's still crappy.

From problems I've had with my HC Update and different things I've tried to fix it, I didn't see any difference in resetting to factory from the Settings Menu or resetting to factory with the combination of buttons that you learn from Customer Service.

Since I've seen my HC Tablet slow way down when it is having trouble with a WiFi connection I suggest you go into the WiFi area of the settings menu and see if it is staying connected.

I would also suggest to go to Speakeasy Speed Test and see if your through put is consistant. It doesn't have to be fast just consistant.

FYI If you still had a GB VTAB1008 it would be real easy to retest your connection speed on the above site but with an HC Vizio you have to tap on something outside of the area used by the Flash Player before you can retest it.

Connection speed is fine. It's slow whether i tell it to "forget" the network, or if it's connected. :(