Any word on when B&N will be going 2.2 on NC?

xfeejayx

Feb 28, 2011
tried looking for an existing thread with no luck. Very interested in this, and would like to hear from those of you that keep up with this.

mooniegt

Feb 19, 2011
From I've read, it was supposed to be out in january... hopefully it will come out in another month or so. I recently went to the phiremod beta2 (which is a 2.2 rom) and it works great. I don't miss my rooted 2.1 at all.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Yep, was originally January, then I belive they bumped it back to early March and then to "1st Quarter." It is currently going how these things go but I would expect it to be near the 1st quarter at least. I don't think it would get pushed back beyond April but that is just a guess.

ADude

Mar 4, 2011
Supposedly according to B&N employees, by the end of March.

And it will include Flash and a B&N App Market.

I don't mind the delay- it means that they are actually fixing all the bugs, rather than releasing it on Marketing Department's schedule.

jamspc

Mar 1, 2011
Cannot wait until the update, hoping for bluetooth being enabled. If that happens i will be completely satisfied with my fully functional tablet.

Sent from my Nook color

OldDogEyes

Mar 4, 2011
Supposedly according to B&N employees, by the end of March.

And it will include Flash and a B&N App Market.

I don't mind the delay- it means that they are actually fixing all the bugs, rather than releasing it on Marketing Department's schedule.

How will this likely work? Will I wake up one day and find that my NC is no longer rooted? And then after it comes out how long until the nooter style idiot proof root will be released? Is there anything I need to do to prepare for it? Should I disable auto update now?

Thanks
Doug

chmoto

Mar 6, 2011
I've been a long time Android user and it's been my experience that when they announce an update it's usually months later before it actually happens. I thought clockworks recovery blocks ota updates. I know it does on the phones.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
With the new update we should be able to do pretty much what wedo now with root and more (flash). Right? If so we can just go back to stock and wait for the update to come in.

RaVenJ

Jan 24, 2011
With the new update we should be able to do pretty much what wedo now with root and more (flash). Right? If so we can just go back to stock and wait for the update to come in.

2.2 is no more open than 2.1 if B&N chooses to maintain their overlay. It'll still need to be rooted to get around that. Don't expect them to ever release a wide open, do what you want, "go ahead and install the Kindle app" version officially. Just ain't gonna happen.

jyams

Feb 20, 2011
when i bought my NC at B&N the clerk said 2.2 would be available in April. However, with my root and ROM from XBE REV311, 2.2.1, I'm a happy camper and could care less about a B&N 2.2 upgrade. Don't need it!! I've got Flash, market, and absolutely everything works with no FC's ever. I might buy a 2nd NC just to have something to experiment with because this one is so stable and productive I don't want to mess with it. Waiting on HC 3.0 stable ROM for NookColor from XDA to enter the next gen of tablet for Android. I do hope the NookColor will run it. Saw on another website a post from a software engineer who said the Xoom with its dual processors Nvidia Tegra isn't any better than the single core NookColor processor and that the Xoom is a sham, especially if HC 3.0 will run on the NookColor. Makes you feel good about our little $250 investment in the NC. Also, now that TetherGPS hit the Market yesterday, you can now have navigation on the NookColor through wifi when used with an android gps cell phone with wifi tether enabled. Can't immediately think of how I would use that, but I still think that's the kind of innovation we are getting with the NookColor. I'm so impressed with the custom abilities of the NookColor.

Last edited:

brad0383

Feb 23, 2011
Xboxexpert Image REV303(Froyo 2.2.1) ROM,, isn't that the ROM that was banned from XDA because it was password protected unless you gave donations?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Xboxexpert Image REV303(Froyo 2.2.1) ROM,, isn't that the ROM that was banned from XDA because it was password protected unless you gave donations?

Yes, correct.
This was also the same guy making money off of rooting NCs for people.