Anyone have a Coby Kyros 7015?

caulktel

Jan 21, 2011
I have one on order from Radio Shack, $149.95. I hope I don't have the problems that some people are having on this site. I also picked up a 16GB Sandisk micro SD card. I intend to do the Coby upgrade first then root it after that. Now I just need it to show up.

BKenney

Dec 10, 2010
I have one on order from Radio Shack, $149.95. I hope I don't have the problems that some people are having on this site. I also picked up a 16GB Sandisk micro SD card. I intend to do the Coby upgrade first then root it after that. Now I just need it to show up.

Congrats! It's a great device for the price, I'm more than positive you'll be smitten. :)

Welcome by the way!

sndplace

Jan 9, 2011
Its a good first tablet. I also just orderd a 16gb card from newegg. Not scandisk but the reviews seemed decent. Its a class 10 card 30 bucks. I don't if anyone here has had issues with playing music but when I turn the screen off and continue to listen to music it tends to skip like a cd skips when scratched. I'm hoping with a faster card it will stop. If you expext this to be a ipad then don't get it. If you go into this tablet with an open mind and understand its limits, you will find it to be quite good at what it does. Enjoy...

Oldgoat

Jan 27, 2011
Thanx for the response L_n I didn't see that one. Apparently my Kyros came out of the box with a full charge. At least that's what the status indicator said. I never really did look for a green light in that area so I'm still not sure if it works.

Last edited:

Oldgoat

Jan 27, 2011
I played with mine a little last night and I must say I think the learning curve is going to be a bit steep. Android is nothing at all like Windows. I think I'm going to have to find an Andriod for Dummies book. :) So far I am impressed with the screen quality and responsiveness. It's not capacitive but its darn close. I was a little diappointed in the preloaded apps. or perhaps more accurately the lack of same. I will be updating the firmware ( already scared) then probably as folks have suggested "root" it and see what I can find (now really scared) :) I should also add that at least at this point I think the processor speed is quite adequate. I'm not sure how thngs will turn out but so far I think its well worth the money.

Last edited:

Swould333

Aug 5, 2010
Got mine..YAY!!!!!!!

Happy thus far... here to get the files for root and mods... wish me luck...

Not a bad device over all.. just got to get used to Android 2.1 again... my Droid X ruined me.. lol

Oldgoat

Jan 27, 2011
OK the charge indicator does work. I was able to get online and to the firmward update. I'm by no means sure what I am doing with the browser yet. I wish I could select a home page other than Google. I'm still not thrilled with the apps and expect I'm going to have to try and root my Kyros :eek:
I did find out something else. The manual that came with mine said that the sd crad goes in with the metal toward the lcd screen......WRONG.....it goes in with the "metal" toward the back of the tablet.
I'm still looking for that Android for Dummies book :)

Oldgoat

Jan 27, 2011
Haven't rooted mine yet but gonna try :) I do have another question. When you go to bookmarks it "Offers" a bunch of places I don't want to add. Is there any way to remove those from the list ? And relative to that, is there anyway to remove a previously set bookmark?

jetta02awp

Dec 14, 2010
Long press the bookmark and a menu will pop up. Scroll down and there will be an option to delete it

Sent from my SPH-M900

Joe442

Feb 12, 2011
I may be buying this today and just had one question. After rooting can the Barns and Noble Nook app be installed. I have read that the Kindle app can be. Do these work OK on this Coby? I assume all prior purchases will carry over to the new apps on the Coby.

Thanks

code347

Feb 4, 2011
Power plug is the same as some old Samsung phones so I have an old USB cable that works for charging, BUT, charges very slowly. AC adapter is 2000ma and usb is around 500ma so no surprise. Still good for trickle charging.
"

The tablet charges via USB? I am assuming only via a special cord? I am not clear on your statement. How is this accomplished, and do you have a model number for this cord, or a place I can go look at one. I would love to be able to charge this device via USB.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I may be buying this today and just had one question. After rooting can the Barns and Noble Nook app be installed. I have read that the Kindle app can be. Do these work OK on this Coby? I assume all prior purchases will carry over to the new apps on the Coby.

Thanks

Yes and Yes. Enjoy your tablet!

trinityx3

Feb 15, 2011
Yeah the video on Angry Birds sucks eggs. You can't tell what's being said to you. I purchased the Kryos last week and so far it's great. I will be using some of the other tips to help make the tablet better but I did have an issue with the tablet failing to power up for me after it went into sleep mode. I called Coby and they told me to take the tablet out of the case and hit the reset button, and then try to turn it back on. The tablet sometimes gets stuck in sleep mode and needs to be reset. If it powers up, I suggest you recharge it because the battery will be completely exhausted depending on how long you've been trying to get it to work again. I was told that that is so because the machine is trying to get out of the sleep mode that the tablet basically runs the battery down trying to do so. I hope that helps you.

jrsharp21

Jan 31, 2011
Think I am going to head on over to the Electronic Fry's after work and pic up the Kyros for $149. Last day of the sale is the 17th. I better get it now before it goes back to $199.

The only bad thing is that I have to keep it under wraps for a few days. I got my wife an iPad for her birthday (tomorrow) and I don't want her to feel like her gift isn't unique and that I went and got a toy of my own.