Anyone have Skype working?

pbuder

Jul 14, 2011
I just picked up my A500 and so far it has been a positive experience. The only problem I have so far is with Skype. It will make calls but no video can be seen on either side. I am running stock with the latest ota. I could root if I have a reason to but wasn't planning to.

Using gtalk or other programs are out of the question as it would be to difficult to explain to the over sea side of the family. We can't change till the next visit.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
According to the app description, it is currently not supporting video at this time. There's a more detailed thread somewhere.

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
Maybe you could launch two applications at the same time like what we did when I'm still working abroad in KSA and maybe it will work too.

I'm speaking of Yahoo Messenger (YM) for the video and Skype for the voice.

The reason I did that because sometimes there are some days of difficulties in communicating if both voice & video seems not working very well (sometimes delayed in video and I already heard the voice 15 seconds after that).

So, what I did is, I used the YM for the video and voice on Skype; on that way, I can see what i'm listening and at the same time, I can see it. It has a little delay of 2 or 3 seconds and for me, I'm satisfied to the outcome.

Let's see if this kind of procedure work out while waiting for the Skype to improve their system or the program updated for Tablets.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
According to Skype.com, the A500 does not get video calling because of the Tegra 2 chipset. From the sound of it, most tablets don't get it.
Is this something that can change or are we stuck with it?
Thanks

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
Skype should do something about this matter. Most people are using Skype as communicating their friends and loved ones especially those who far from their home.

Google Talk is blocked somehow in this country (Algeria) and Yahoo Messenger has limited connection or maybe it's just restricted by our IT.

If that's the case, they (Skype programmers / creators) should look into it.

wicced247

Jul 23, 2011
Gtalk works great with no problems

Sent from Wicced's ROOTED Acer a100 16GB Honeycomb 3.2

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
According to the update for Skype I got today, the A500 is "white listed". Does that mean it will work now?

Patriis

Sep 20, 2011
seems some have skype video working and others not. I'm with the latter group. Have enabled video calling on my a500, i get the camera icon but when i place a call there is no video. quite frustrating as this was one feature i was looking forward to.

philnur

Nov 13, 2011
Just downloaded the latest version. Did a video call to my Pc and it all worked ok - reasonable picture and sound. It got a bit flakey when I tried changing cameras within a call and locked up ringing once. Otherwise it is a good start. Did it on an Iconia A501 16GB

ymia

Nov 28, 2011
Gtalk, skype, MSN used for the tablet communicated tool, i also suggest you choose the Gtalk is enough, even your family over the sea.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Skype should be working on all Tegra2 devices.

One glitch I have noticed is that the call connects, but no video. If you tap the screen and then tap the video camera icon in the lower right hand corner and tap "Front Camera" it should start your video feed.