Anyone having problems with wifi on Transformer Prime?

JerseyRider

Dec 20, 2011
There appears to be quite a few people having problems with wifi on the Transformer Prime. Unfortunately I am one of them. I waited almost a month for the Prime which is my first tablet and now it looks like I may have to return it. Wifi works fine as long as I'm close to my router. My router is in my basement office. On the first floor of my home the wifi connection speed drops significantly from the basement level. On my second floor bedroom level I cannot connect at all. I have a 5 year old laptop, Nook e-reader and a HTC smartphone, my wife has a Kindle e-reader and a Kindle Fire tablet. All of those devices can connect to the router without any problems anywhere in the house. I am so disappointed. I like everything else about the Prime but this wifi situation is unacceptable.

Last edited:

Kevlo79

Dec 29, 2011
I'm having similar issues with my prime. My router is in an upstairs corner of my home and I have a whole cluster of stuff (Xbox 360, BD player, home theater PC) on the opposite corner of the first floor, all of them are using g radios and they connect with flying colors. My router is N with multicasting and my prime with it's N radio will not connect at all when I'm on the first floor!!! Have you contacted Asus? I got mine from best buy and with the difficulty of getting it I'm tempted to wait until they get some on the floor so I can do an even exchange. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Tablet Forum

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
There was a rumour, before the Prime was released, that it would be delayed due to wifi troubles. Hopefully this is a firmware problem and Asus can solve it soon.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

mbo1951

Jul 10, 2011
I just got mine,too, and am also experiencing problems. I have a Linksys 3000 router that works great with every other device. I can sit here and watch the wifi signal drop and then rise on the Prime from good to literally nothing. I was surprised this was happening after all the assurances put out by ASUS. I also find this unacceptable, but also am finding some browser freeze problems. The router is only 30 feet from me at most. Sigh...

rafiki

Dec 29, 2011
I just got mine,too, and am also experiencing problems. I have a Linksys 3000 router that works great with every other device. I can sit here and watch the wifi signal drop and then rise on the Prime from good to literally nothing. I was surprised this was happening after all the assurances put out by ASUS. I also find this unacceptable, but also am finding some browser freeze problems. The router is only 30 feet from me at most. Sigh...

I've just canceled my order for the time being. The UK release on Amazon isn't until 12th Jan so I think I'll wait to see if the same problem surfaces here. I need a decent WiFi range at home. No probs with my Sony Vaio but even that drops off somewhat at my furthest user point (same floor, not too far but round corners, so through walls) so I can't afford problems of this nature.

EDIT: Seems that Amazon UK are no longer taking pre-orders for Transformer Primes. They are offering to email when they are available. Could they be getting cold feet over the alleged wifi range problem?

Last edited:

Dr. A

Apr 12, 2011
This sounds like it could be a real issue. I plan on extensive use of wifi so if it has a hard time with connection, I'll wait until they get it fixed or get a different device.

Spork3245

Jan 3, 2012
EDIT: Seems that Amazon UK are no longer taking pre-orders for Transformer Primes. They are offering to email when they are available. Could they be getting cold feet over the alleged wifi range problem?

More-likely is that they are so overwhelmed with orders that they stopped accepting new ones. Amazon could care less about wifi issues if they are making money on the tablets :p

I just got one ordered from office depot this morning. I really hope mine works okay or that this will be fixed with the upgrade to gingerbread next week :(
What he hell is he point of even owning a talet if you can't use wifi with it?

JerseyRider

Dec 20, 2011
Since my original post I purchased a new Netgear 3700 router. I am now able to connect to the Prime throughout my home but I still have concerns. As I said before I could connect everywhere in my home on several different devices with my old router. So even though I can now connect in my bedroom and backyard on the TFP, it's wifi connection is weaker than the cheaper and older devices I have. I have a couple of weeks to decided if I'm going to return it. I'm going to play it by ear and see if ASUS comes out with a firmware update very soon that can resolve this problem. See this thread on a Transformer forum.

Wifi is horrible

BakedGoodies

Jan 5, 2012
I haven't had issues with WiFi. Ordered 12/24 from BB and received it 12/29. Havent had any of the issues except minor bleed through when it boots.

Speed test iPhone: 14 mbps
TF201: 20 mbps...

mbo1951

Jul 10, 2011
After the latest update my wifi is better, too. I also have light bleed when booting, but it disappears for th most part during use. Iti is particularly in the lower left corner but is also visible on the right edge. However, after everything finishes booting, it is gone. I am guessing that is probably very common. The Sony tablet is actually very good in that regard.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

JerseyRider

Dec 20, 2011
Speed test iPhone: 14 mbps
TF201: 20 mbps...

I can get close to 25Mbps when I'm in the same room with the router. But as I move away from the router the signal degrades quickly. The range is weak. It doesn't seem like everyone has the wifi problem but apparently many do. See the link in my prior post. But I wonder how many people don't realize they have a wifi problem because they may live in a small apartment or home and don't get very far from their router. I live in home with 3 levels. My router is in my basement office. My bedroom is on the second floor 2 levels up from my router. I have an old Compaq laptop, an Android smartphone and a nook e-reader, my wife has a Kindle e-reader, Kindle Fire tablet and iPod Touch. We can get great connection everywhere in my home and far into my backyard even with the old router on all of those other devices. So there is no doubt that there is a problem with my Transformer's wifi.

asye288

Jan 2, 2012
I have mine about 2 weeks ago. I have no problem in wifi connection. I use the transformer prime connected to Cisco wireless router. Would it possible a router/transformer signal problem???

JerseyRider

Dec 20, 2011
I have mine about 2 weeks ago. I have no problem in wifi connection. I use the transformer prime connected to Cisco wireless router. Would it possible a router/transformer signal problem???

If it was a router problem why would my router work without any issues with the 6 others device I mentioned in my last post? Actually I did purchase a new more powerful router to see it it would make a difference. With the new router I can now get a connection in a couple of areas where I couldn't connect before with the Prime but still somewhat weak connection. Keep in mind I was able to get very good to excellent connections with the older router in every part of my home with my other wifi devices.

Last edited:

Irony

Jan 6, 2012
The Prime has issues connecting via GPS or Wifi because of it's design that have been extensive reported on in the media.

Duc1098

Dec 23, 2011
No problems here my Prime is up and running fine. Connection with wifi anywhere IV been with wifi has been fine. I also have seen consern over GPS, my prime is fine I use mine geocaching its on par with everything else so far.

Sent from my DROIDX using Android Tablet Forum