Anyone holding out for 10.1 or 8.9 tab?

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
After the announcement of the new 10.1 tab I am holding out on buying the XOOM.

Pros:
Lighter
Slimmer
Viewing angle is better

Cons:
Lesser camera (but I don't care because I think rear facing camera on a tab is stupid)

It is easier for me to wait since I can't get either device in New Zealand and I'm not buying the ipad 2.

Last edited:

twokatmew

Mar 25, 2011
Yeah, I'd really be interested in an 8.9" tab. I couldn't hold out any longer though, so I picked up a Nook Color last week. Yesterday I got it running Autonooter 3.0 and loaded up all my apps. I plan to use it for reading and very light gaming (Reversi, Angry Birds). It's quite snappy even though it's not overclocked ATM. Next I want to look into running Honeycomb from an mSD.

The 7" is nice, even though a bit bigger and heavier than my Kindle 3, so reading in bed is OK. I don't know how a larger tablet would do, but I know I'll want something larger soon, if only for couch use! ;-)

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
Yeah, I think being light is a key factor for those that like to read, otherwise you would have to put your tablet on your lap while sitting up in bed.

Oh also, the Samsung interface on Honeycomb looks good from what I have seen from videos. A lot of people are disgruntled about it but I am viewing a bit like HTC sense. I quite like it.

Metalsteel

Mar 14, 2011
I flashed honeycomb last week on my nook color, I didnt have it for very long but I believe theres a Honeycomb that runs internally which is faster i think. =)

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
At first I thought a 10" tablet was to big... but the xoom is actually not that bad.

Sent from my Xoom using Android Tablet Forum App

STi

Sep 2, 2010
Getting a 10.1 ..The samsung screens are sweet...I have an ipad 2 to hold me over...The xoom screen sucks and web page scrolling is choppy like my old galaxy tab "7.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
Getting a 10.1 ..The samsung screens are sweet...I have an ipad 2 to hold me over...The xoom screen sucks and web page scrolling is choppy like my old galaxy tab "7.

Yes, I have heard the screens suck and that is another reason why I am not getting it. I am hoping to use this in my classroom full of 6 and 7 year olds and they need to be able to still see the screen at an angle.

strider_mt2k

Nov 22, 2010
I'm using a 10.1" Win7 convertible, and my biggest problem is the weight of the thing.
No way you can lay in bed and use it for very long, and if you did and slipped, then you'd give yourself a concussion.

I like my 7" tablet because it is extremely light and portable by comparison.
The difference there is that the Android tablet is a stand-alone device, where my Win7 convertible is fully integrated with my home network and such.

I'm a gadget guy, so I like having toys for toy's sake, but I like the smaller Android tablets as a truly personal devices.

jbug

Nov 17, 2010
I like my 7" tablet because it is extremely light and portable by comparison.
I like the smaller Android tablets as a truly personal devices.

I second that quote. So, no, I'm not holding out for a larger tablet.

dadown

Jul 31, 2010
I was originally planning on getting a 10" tablet for the bigger screen, but decided that the extra weight and inability to comfortably hold it one-handed made the 7" a more practical unit for carrying around.

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
After watching the vietnamese video of the Samsung Tab I am getting more excited about it. I am still wondering if there are features that haven't been talked about. I mean June is a long way away, and I assume Samsung want to set themselves apart (with the exception of being the lightest tablet)

elitecmdr666

Apr 2, 2011
I did not wait at all and i dont regret it. Im enjoying my tablet should i waited maybe but i dont mind ill just save up some money for it then ill have 2. 1 rooted and the other one for mobile development

Sent from my SCH-I800 VZW Galaxy Tablet using Android Tablet Forums