Anyone know anything about this one?

Sir_Cusfreak

Nov 29, 2011
I've been looking at cheap tablets for my kid, and I've come across this. I've googled it and searched forums and youtube, but I'm finding just about zero info. It looks to me like what I'm looking for, but not being able to find any info about it makes me wonder.

Newegg.com - iView Iview 760TPC Android Tablet ARM Cortex-A8 1.00GHz 7" TFT Capacitive Touch Screen 512MB Memory 4GB Flash HDD

no reviews. Nothing on the net about it. No forum posts on any of the several android forums I know of. But, it's got a capacitive screen at $130 shipped, says it has official market and flash, and looks like it will do the things I want it for...I think.

If anyone knows anything about it, I'd appreciate any info.

At least if I do take a chance on it it's from Newegg, and not a site from halfway around the world...but would rather hear something good about it before buying, ya know?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

SteveOnion

May 30, 2011
I did not see any mention of the official Google Market for this tablet. If you read the user manual on the vendor's website, it talks about the King Kong Apps Market.

Worse case, you could probably install the Amazon Appstore and get some decent programs. Not sure if there would be any restrictions with this tablet there.

onsenmark

Dec 27, 2011
I'm thinking about picking this one up now, since it's comparable to the Ployer MOMO9 I was looking at, plus it's newegg, so the return policy won't be too bad. It could prolly be rooted, but I wouldn't know where to begin...

onsenmark

Dec 27, 2011
If this tablet can be rooted, though, then official Android Market can be installed, IIRC.

Last edited:

Sir_Cusfreak

Nov 29, 2011
I ordered it, should have it Wednesday. I'll review it here and on Newegg.

As for official Market, it says in the product description "over 200,000 apps in Google Market." Also, in the picture, the icon for the official market is on the screen. I know that doesn't mean it does have it, of course, but with those two things combined I'm hopeful. If it doesn't, I'll be trying all the tricks that work for other tablets, and using SlideMe and Amazon. But I hope it does.

If the specs are real, it seems like the best deal I could find while ordering from a reputable US seller.

We'll see.

onsenmark

Dec 27, 2011
I ordered it, should have it Wednesday. I'll review it here and on Newegg.

As for official Market, it says in the product description "over 200,000 apps in Google Market." Also, in the picture, the icon for the official market is on the screen. I know that doesn't mean it does have it, of course, but with those two things combined I'm hopeful. If it doesn't, I'll be trying all the tricks that work for other tablets, and using SlideMe and Amazon. But I hope it does.

If the specs are real, it seems like the best deal I could find while ordering from a reputable US seller.

We'll see.

Funny. I plan on ordering mine on Wednesday after I see how much money I have left after paying the bills.

From the product description, one would think that it DOES have the official market. I'm uneasy about having this "Kingkong Market"(which has few results on Google, those being anything from Iview's website; the market itself has no webpage, lolwut?), so I'm hoping that the tab will have actual Android Market on it. If not, then I hope that it'll be easy enough to install it onto the tab...

Igthorn

Jan 9, 2012
Got one today. It does have the offical market on it. It's also comes adb rooted ("ro.secure=0"), so installing superuser is simple. Other than market; it has Gmail, Google Maps, Google Talk, and Flash 11.0.1.152 preloaded.

The box has "Processor: A10 1ghz" and "Support 2160p full HD video" on it, so it probably has an Allwinner A10 processor w/Mali-400 gpu. Every tablet I've read about with "2160p support" ends up being A10 based.

Be careful with Busybox installer. Busybox must exist in /system/bin for it to fully boot. When I updated with BusyBox Installer, it put it in /system/xbin and deleted the other. When I rebooted it wouldn't load but luckily adb still worked. So I linked '/system/bin/busybox' to '/system/xbin/busybox', then adb reboot. This time it fully loaded.

Last edited:

onsenmark

Dec 27, 2011
Got one today. It does have the offical market on it. It's also comes adb rooted ("ro.secure=0"), so installing superuser is simple. Other than market; it has Gmail, Google Maps, Google Talk, and Flash 11.0.1.152 preloaded.

The box has "Processor: A10 1ghz" and "Support 2160p full HD video" on it, so it probably has an Allwinner A10 processor w/Mali-400 gpu. Every tablet I've read about with "2160p support" ends up being A10 based.

Be careful with Busybox installer. Busybox must exist in /system/bin for it to fully boot. When I updated with BusyBox Installer, it put it in /system/xbin and deleted the other. When I rebooted it wouldn't load but luckily adb still worked. So I linked '/system/bin/busybox' to '/system/xbin/busybox', then adb reboot. This time it fully loaded.

oooh, you should do a review! XD

But yeah, your post pretty much seals the deal. I'm going to order mine on either Wednesday or Thursday, depending on how much money I have left after paying bills.

How quick was shipping, BTW?

Sir_Cusfreak

Nov 29, 2011
NewEgg auto shipped mine on UPS 3-day select, free, first business day I ordered it.

lgthorn, what are your overall impressions?

Sir_Cusfreak

Nov 29, 2011
Not exactly...I ordered it late Friday night. They aren't open on Saturday or Sunday, but by 10am Monday morning I had a tracking number. They shipped the first business day they were open after I placed the order, which is basically the same thing. I should have it in hand tomorrow (Wednesday)

NewEgg usually ships pretty quickly, from my experience...I have had them ship same-day, or by the day after an order is placed. And with free 3-day select, they havent left me waiting for my stuff for long. I've ordered from them 4 times, never shipped later than day after order.

onsenmark

Dec 27, 2011
Not exactly...I ordered it late Friday night. They aren't open on Saturday or Sunday, but by 10am Monday morning I had a tracking number. They shipped the first business day they were open after I placed the order, which is basically the same thing. I should have it in hand tomorrow (Wednesday)

NewEgg usually ships pretty quickly, from my experience...I have had them ship same-day, or by the day after an order is placed. And with free 3-day select, they havent left me waiting for my stuff for long. I've ordered from them 4 times, never shipped later than day after order.

Okay -- is that's the case, if I order it today before going into work, I should have it in my hands by... Monday, at the latest, possibly Saturday, or even Friday. :D

Igthorn

Jan 9, 2012
Hardware
Screen: Not the greatest but not too bad. It's no Kindle Fire, but for $130 I wouldn't expect an IPS screen. Touch is good, up to 5 points at once (tested in Multitouch Tester by jpjoyjp)

Case: Decent overall. Definite ChinaTab feel, but good enough. Feels solid, but a corner on mine wiggles a bit and clicks if I put pressure on it. About the same as the Coby MID7022-4G. Face buttons (back/home/menu) are ok. They do take some pressure to register. Volume rocker and Power on the top edge work much easier.

Free leather case: Terrible. The elastic bands are right over the power button, so if you try using the case it will power down. The bands also cover the power jack and memory card slot.

Ram: ~320mb available after GPU and OS reserved

Internal 4gb: Partitioned as internal of 1.2gb and /sdcard of 2gb. The rest used for OS.

USB/OTG: USB mouse works fine, but I don't have a USB keyboard to test. Also tried a USB-Ethernet adapter (cheap no name, that happened to work with the Wii) and it worked. External USB storage seems to work. I tried a few flash drives and they worked. I'm not sure about an external HD, I don't have any.

Apps
DroidWall (block net traffic by app) doesn't work (no netfilter support), so I have to try other things to block ads in apps.
Currently trying AdAway (a hosts file type blocker) and Permissions Denied (deny an app's permissions, specifically android.permission.INTERNET, which stops it from using the internet).

Root Explorer, ES File Explorer, and ES Task Manager seems pretty buggy when trying any of the root functions. That's not too much of an issue for me, since I do all of that work via adb. Titanium Backup and Gemini App Manager work fine, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

I haven't tried any games yet.

GoLauncher EX seemed to work fine. GoWeather too.

When I went to look for a split keyboard, I couldn't get market to show Touchpal Keyboard Tablet or Ai Type no matter what I tried. I tried all sorts of build.prop changes (lcd_density, fingerprints, etc) with different versions of market. That and the weather channel app are the only ones I've really noticed as far as market compatiblity goes. Swiftkey Tablet X is compatible, so I'm trying the trial now.

I also tried LCD Density Changer Lite while messing with the market stuff. It worked fine to temporarily change the density but the quick reboot seemed to cause the wifi driver to not load.

To test video I used this TimeScapes 2560x1440 clip (http://vimeo.com/33110953). Played very well. May not be the best clip to test, but it's all I had that's higher than 1080p. I don't have any super high bitrate 1080p clips either. Also tried some Hi10p clips, which failed to load in 'Super HD-Player' as expected. I wish I had a mini-hdmi adapter to test hdmi out.

Crunchyroll streamed fine. Youtube works fine, in the Google app and in Browser+Flash.

--

Overall it seems pretty good, except when using root in some apps. I'd like it a lot more if DroidWall worked by I can live with it. I'll probably see if iView can put out a firmware with full netfilter support.

Getting into recovery is different than Novo 7 Advanced. I tried holding Vol+ then Power but that didn't work. I've been able to get into it but not reliably. I think it may be hold Menu then Power, but as I said I can't always get it to work.
fun_@xda-developers is working on CWM/CM7 for Allwinner A10 based tablets, so there may be hope for CWM/CM7 on the 760TPC. But he has only confirmed it to work on the Novo 7 Advanced, with any others you flash it at your own risk.

CyanogenMod for Allwinner A10 tablets | androtab.info fun_@xda-developers' Allwinner A10 CWM/CM7

Last edited:

onsenmark

Dec 27, 2011
@Igthorn -- have you been able to try the HDMI-out yet? How well does that work, if so?

I ordered mine yesterday afternoon; it's now winging its way to me. I'll likely get it sometime on Friday, but it'd be great if I came home this afternoon or evening and there it was. XD I'll prolly do a review myself once I've been able to play around with it; at the very least, I'll post any first impressions.

Ah, heck with that, I'm prolly gonna do an unboxing video, lol.

EDIT: Does anyone know if iview is going to have an upgrade to ICS available in the near future?

Last edited:

allen2scott

Dec 22, 2011
Onsenmark, judging from that XDA thread it looks like ICS is in the works... albeit not from Iview but ICS nonetheless. Looks like v0.5 is still alpha.
I just ordered mine yesterday for my wife. I got her an SVP 7" tablet off of ebay for Christmas and it just sucked!! Found this Iview at Newegg, did a google for some reviews on it and found this thread. I ordered it before Igthorn did his peice (great by the way!!). I'll throw in my two cents in when I get it tomorrow. Looks like it ships from Neweggs New Jersey warehouse. I live south of Pittsburg so it'll get here with 2 day shipping.
If anyone doesn't know Newegg, they are THE place to get computer and electronic hardware. I've been buying from them since 2003 and remember their website back in '98. They are very reputable and you almost can't beat their prices and shipping times. Not to mention you can leave feedback for products you buy. Everything is always well packed (usually in a box 2 sizes too big). I'll be leaving a review their as well. ;)