Anyone know anything about this one?

onsenmark

Dec 27, 2011
Onsenmark, judging from that XDA thread it looks like ICS is in the works... albeit not from Iview but ICS nonetheless. Looks like v0.5 is still alpha.
I just ordered mine yesterday for my wife. I got her an SVP 7" tablet off of ebay for Christmas and it just sucked!! Found this Iview at Newegg, did a google for some reviews on it and found this thread. I ordered it before Igthorn did his peice (great by the way!!). I'll throw in my two cents in when I get it tomorrow. Looks like it ships from Neweggs New Jersey warehouse. I live south of Pittsburg so it'll get here with 2 day shipping.
If anyone doesn't know Newegg, they are THE place to get computer and electronic hardware. I've been buying from them since 2003 and remember their website back in '98. They are very reputable and you almost can't beat their prices and shipping times. Not to mention you can leave feedback for products you buy. Everything is always well packed (usually in a box 2 sizes too big). I'll be leaving a review their as well. ;)

I ordered mine on Wednesday afternoon, and I should be getting it sometime tomorrow, hopefully. (would have been nice if I had gotten it today, but noooo)

I love Newegg; they've never screwed me over, in my experience. I think when it comes time for me to get the parts for my new PC, I'll be getting at least the majority of them from Newegg. XD

Sir_Cusfreak

Nov 29, 2011
UPS either lost my shipment or left it on my porch and it was stolen. (they were supposed to take it to the center so I could pick it up, but it says they delivered it to porch - argh) so I still don't have mine yet, and have to wait 7-10 days for Newegg and UPS to work the claim out. Sucks.

onsenmark

Dec 27, 2011
UPS either lost my shipment or left it on my porch and it was stolen. (they were supposed to take it to the center so I could pick it up, but it says they delivered it to porch - argh) so I still don't have mine yet, and have to wait 7-10 days for Newegg and UPS to work the claim out. Sucks.

*wince* Ouch. Yeah, that sucks. :(

casra888

Jan 13, 2012
Ok,

Care to explain this to me?
"Internal 4gb: Partitioned as internal of 1.2gb and /sdcard of 2gb. The rest used for OS."
What about the other 800 mb???
Got mine yesterday.
Battery life seems horrible.
Documentation is really bad engrish and contradicts whether you can use 16 gig sd or 32 gig sd.
So, no idea.

casra888

Jan 13, 2012
Forgot to mention, called for tech support. The one guy I spoke to said the tech guys were all at ces and would call me when they could.

Kellman

Jan 13, 2012
I just got my tablet from newegg yesterday, battery life hasn't been great so far, but I expect that it will get better after a few charge cycles like it did on my Android phone. I am enjoying it so far, I switched the home app to Launcher Pro so I could fit more icons and widgets on the home screens, got a Netflix/Plex working OK. The one thing I couldn't find was a video player that would use HW acceleration when trying to play files from my network. The 2160p app will only play files that are on the SD, or an external hdd. The screen isn't the greatest resolution and viewing angle, but the capacitive touch works great. Fit and finish are pretty nice for a cheap Chinese tablet. I bought this to replace my Archos 5 which I really liked, but Archos is quick to release new products and abandon all support for previous products, and it has been stuck with Android 1.6 that is becoming more obsolete every day.

Igthorn

Jan 9, 2012
Against my better judgement I decided to fiddle with installing fun_'s CWM Recovery 5 :D

After comparing stock recovery with cwm, I decided to change some files. Specifically the drivers. I replaced the ones in cwm with the ones from 760tpc and edited cwm's init.rc to disable 'hv2605.ko' (seems to be for the touch buttons on novo7a). After backing up stock recovery (still don't exactly know how I would restore it if I failed :p, I've got a general idea but no experience to back it up), I deleted it and installed cwm. And so cwm recovery does seem to be working.

I haven't tried a restore yet, but making backups does seem to work. I'll need to verify it's backing up the correct things, this is my first time messing with cwm so I'm learning as I go. I can navigate in the cwm menus just fine (Vol+: Down, Vol-: Up, Power: Select, Back: Back). Adb works while in cwm, so I was able to verify cwm could mount the various partitions. '/sd-ext' wasn't working at all, but I was able to mount the external sd using '/sdcard' and the internal sd would mount as '/emmc'. So it looks like some tweaking is needed.

Kellman

Jan 13, 2012
HDMI functions well, I just happen to have a mini HDMI to HDMI cable for my canon camera so I thought I would try the HDMI output. I am playing an HD mkv file from a powered external HDD on my 52" sharp and it seems to be smooth. On another note I also found that audio stays synced better in Netflix Version 1.3 found at xda-developers - View Single Post - [APP][UPDATE][Netflix V1.5.2] Netflix Rotation Enabled Apps w/ Colored Loading Screen , the only problem with the older Netflix app is that you have to hold the tablet in portrait mode to select your stream.

Almaz

Jan 13, 2012
I'm trying to decide between Sony PRS-T1 Ereader $130 vs 760TPC. Mainly I need it to use for reading Ebooks. How many hours 760TPC would last me reading ebook on a single charge? Thanks in advance.

Kellman

Jan 13, 2012
my battery has been lasting about 1.5-2 hours at this point, but I expect it to get a lot better with a few full charge/discharge cycles. The last time I let it go until it reported 0% battery remaining, then rebooted in recovery and just let it sit with the screen on in the recovery menu until it was so dead it wouldn't do anything when I tried powering it on. I will report back in the next couple days.

Almaz

Jan 13, 2012
my battery has been lasting about 1.5-2 hours at this point, but I expect it to get a lot better with a few full charge/discharge cycles. The last time I let it go until it reported 0% battery remaining, then rebooted in recovery and just let it sit with the screen on in the recovery menu until it was so dead it wouldn't do anything when I tried powering it on. I will report back in the next couple days.

Ouch 2 hours of power is totally unacceptable. I've never used tablets before but I'm not new to Android. Do you have a lot applications and WiFi/BT turned on? By any chance do you have program such as Battery Monitor Widget? The application should give you all the stats in regards to battery. If you don't have the application just PM me with your Email and I'll send it to you to test the battery.

Last edited:

onsenmark

Dec 27, 2011
Got mine last night! Would have made an unboxing video, but youtube was all "DURRRRRRRRRRRRRR".

Anyway, first impressions: seems pretty solid. Camera is decent enough. Not much installed, definitely no games, so I had to sideload Angry Birds to give that a shot -- and it runs pretty good, BTW. Couldn't connect via wi-fi, kept trying to acquire an IP address, but I'm thinking that's related to the router or something(we use Verizon FiOS here, with whatever router/modem they give out to subscribers).

So, trying to see if I could maybe access Android Market(yes, actual Android Market, apparently, no Kingkong hoo-hah here), I plugged it into my computer via USB. The downside? NO USB DRIVERS. Apparently. However, the tablet DOES apparently charge by USB, so that's something I like. I'll have to trudge to the local mall in a bit and see if I can connect to wi-fi using the wi-fi in the food court.

Speaking of USB -- probably a bad idea to plug that external hard drive into your tablet. Just sayin'. But if you've had success in doing so, let us know.

Like others, I've seemed to have problems with battery life, but the battery will prolly get better with time. BTW,
There seems to be some kind of phone app thingy turned on -- can that be turned off and/or uninstalled? Maybe THAT'S why we're having problems with battery life -- that phone app is running and going "nom-nom-nom" with the battery.

I'll have to play with it a bit more, but so far, I'm liking this. This is a solid, decent, cheap tablet, IMO, and any pros outweigh any cons. I think the only real one would be battery life, but that will prolly change after a few cycles.

onsenmark

Dec 27, 2011
UPDATE: took the tab to the local mall's food court to bogart their wi-fi. Connected pretty quickly, had no problems connecting to Market. So it's probably either whatever router Verizon gave us, or FiOS itself that doesn't like my tablet. I dunno.

Anyone else that has this tablet: What apps can I safely uninstall? I'm guessing the phone app, but I don't want to do anything unless someone says it's okay to do so. Also, what apps are you getting? I snagged the FB app, one for LiveJournal, Foursquare, Olive Tree's KJV Bible, and I *think* twitter, outside of any games. And I think I got JuiceDefender(free). Oh, and Skype and Kindle.

But I think it's safe to say that this is a good tablet for the price. Haven't tried any 3D games yet, but it runs 2D games pretty decently. Video is good, but I don't have an adapter for HDMI yet, so that'll have to wait. It it worth picking up? I say go for it -- if you get it through Newegg, you've got their return policy on top of whatever the company has for a warrantry, just in case things go belly-up within 30 days. So yeah, pick it up, you probably won't regret it. :)

Last edited:

Kellman

Jan 13, 2012
Battery life is getting better, I got over 4 hours today with mixed use. I have tried a couple 3D games Shrek Kart HD is really fun on this thing. GTA III seems to play ok. Monopoly also seems to have pretty good 3D, I got it as the free app of the day a couple of weeks ago on my phone and amazon let me install it on this too. All of the Angry birds seem to work fine, installed from the Amazon app store. I haven't had to side load too many things.

Games/Apps tried that work good.

Angry Birds
Angry Birds Rio
Angry Birds Seasons
Shrek Kart HD
Chuzzle
Bejeweled 2
Plants vs. Zombies
Guitar Hero
Monopoly
Words With Friends
Baseball Superstars 2011
GTA III
Zoodles Kid Mode
Nedoid NES emulator
PBA Bowling 2
Pac Man

Apps

Amazon Kindle, MP3, Appstore (Amazon Video from Kindle Fire sideloaded but didn't play video)
Ebay
GrooveIP
Groupon
Firefox
Dolphin HD
Dropbox
Fancy Widget Pro
Facebook
Google +
Barcode Scanner (Sideloaded)
Tunein Radio Pro (Sideloaded)
LCD Resolution
Swype (Sideloaded)
Plex for Android
OTA Rootkeeper
No Frills CPU Control
Hot Email
Subsonic
Vevo
Superuser

Last edited:

allen2scott

Dec 22, 2011
UPS sent it out for delivery but with the winter snow storm they couldn't deliver it yesterday. I was hoping they would deliver it today but with it being 7:30 PM... I think that's a 'no'. Judging from the responses it looks like this is a pretty good deal for the money. Can't wait for this to get here so my wife will quit asking me "when will it get here"!! Again, will throw in my 2 cents when I get it.

lgthorn... keep up the experimentations and keep us abreast of how your making out. Looks like your on a roll. :cool: